Will there be an alternative to Google?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was wondering due to the fact that in 1 day over millions of people are using that website.
Do you think that in the future Google will be replaced?
Could someone start-up with something "smarter" than google?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More than likely. Every search engine has its spotlight at some turn. When I first got onto the internet some search engine called "Hotbot" was one of the few. Then AltaVista came around, Lycos, Excite, Yahoo!, etc.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only use google when I'm searching for something in Japanese - as that's what I have it set too.
And the occasional image search.

Google has a lot of money right now, so they'll likely be around for a while.

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try googling that question and see what you get
Na!! imo without going too much into it Google is gonna be with us for a long time.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I was wondering due to the fact that in 1 day over millions of people are using that website.
Do you think that in the future Google will be replaced?
Could someone start-up with something "smarter" than google?
There are already plenty of alternatives including Microsoft and Yahoo who are rumored to merge. If that happens, watch out Google.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

There are already plenty of alternatives including Microsoft and Yahoo who are rumored to merge. If that happens, watch out Google.
That won't make them better than Google, it will just give Microsoft a bigger chunk of the search traffic since their own search is useless. Google is great because it's simple and finds whats you need.

I hope Google is around for a long time - they're the one's sponsoring my visa

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Google runs the same risk as Microsoft did. When the technologies change significantly enough that the old business model no longer applies. Microsoft still dominates the desktop, but is losing influence as the desktop computer is displaced by new devices.

The internet is the dominant technology now, but could be displaced in 5-10 years with a technology we have no knowledge of now.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Metacrawler.com

It searches all the engines at once

MetaCrawler uses innovative metasearch technology to search the Internet's top search engines, including Google, Yahoo! Search, MSN Search, Ask Jeeves, About, MIVA, LookSmart and more.