I've lost it... (my voice, that is)

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, for the seemingly umpteenth time in my 35 years, I have lost my voice. I've been semi-sick the last week or so. I've tried various remedies, thinking cold, or allergies (I had my flu shot)... and when nothing worked, I chalked it up to the change of season crud... well, my voice has been getting raspy the last couple of days, and cutting in and out...

Today, I lost it.

When i was in high school, I had laryngitis (or strep, or bronchitis) at least once a year... then things settled down... would get colds or flus, but none of the previously mentioned illnesses for years... then around 2000 or so, I got laryngitis once again... I remember it well, I was working at Virgin Megastore in San Francisco... fortunately, by the time i went back to work, my voice was on its way back... I only needed my dry erase board a few days...

So now, in 2008, here I am without my voice. Again. Life s*cks. I've been drinking water and tea... and more water... upsetting JoJo since she's been on my lap all afternoon (Meowmy must go potty, now... I said NOW, cat!)

I wanted to check the symptoms of Laryngitis, as it's been a while and this is the first time I've had it while living alone... dry cough: check; raspy voice/no voice: check: following a cold or something similar: check.

This is gonna be fun. I better go buy another dry erase board... either that or bring one of my notepads around... urgh.

I called in for today to work... tempting for tomorrow... then again, it'll be interesting if i don't have my voice... I've been resting it today, merely whispering at JoJo to get off my lap... of course, she doesn't recognize that, so I have to practically shove her off... and I get the indignant look... and as soon as I sit back down, she's right back up there...

Meowmy's spoiled little brat

So, I may be getting even more chatty on here... depends on how long I'm out of work...

Amanda

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about your voice, I hope you feel better soon!

I bet there are a lot of people who wish that I would lose my voice

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Groans* I feel your pain! The only time I lost mine totally, I was really, really sick too, so had to go to the dr. He told me that the best thing for it was three days of total vocal rest....no talking, no whispering (still strains the vocal cords) no nothing!!! My husband thought it was great until he had to try to read my handwriting on all the notes I made.
Mind you, I'm also a singer, and during those three days my uncle's mom died so not only did I have to take a notepad to the visitation at the funeral home, and wasn't able to sing at the funeral either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

*Groans* I feel your pain! The only time I lost mine totally, I was really, really sick too, so had to go to the dr. He told me that the best thing for it was three days of total vocal rest....no talking, no whispering (still strains the vocal cords) no nothing!!! My husband thought it was great until he had to try to read my handwriting on all the notes I made.
Mind you, I'm also a singer, and during those three days my uncle's mom died so not only did I have to take a notepad to the visitation at the funeral home, and wasn't able to sing at the funeral either.
Yeah... I feel sorry for the people at the grocery store... I'm out of juice and need some more cold meds... I have to go... and for the most part, I can handle things myself... but wit the meds, I'll be going to a store which has both natural as well as traditional meds, and a person who can help guide you in the right direction (not a pharmacist, per se).

Here I was thinking of asking for a day or two off to clean and rest... I didn't think my body would respond and MAKE it happen. Unfortunately, cleaning is the last thing on my mind when I'm coughing and hacking up a lung. one good thing is that the weather is finally warming up, so I can open the windows and get fresh air in here... stale air doesn't help breathing... fresh air does. At least for me. Just wish it would take the coughing away.

This morning, when I called in to work, I got one of the librarians... I whispered my name, and she started to laugh a bit... she said I sounded awful... and to just rest my voice and let them know each day how things are going...

Yet another curveball... at least this one's small... I think.

Amanda