HELP!! Salem's In Labor And I Don't Know What To Do!!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She started labor around 11 AM, and the first baby was born breech. My poor Mama was screaming badly, but managed to deliver. The second baby was born head-first (Thank the Lord!) but it still looks as if he/she's attached to the umbilical cord, and I don't know what to do!

HELP!! What should I do??

~KK~

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took this from another website (ehow) "If the mother has not chewed through the umbilical cord, sever it about 2 inches from the kitten's body, using sharp, sterilized scissors (sterilize with isopropyl alcohol). Gently pull the afterbirth from the birth canal."

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for responding so quickly, Nova!

I went back in her room to check on her again, and the cord was still attached. Salem was trying to clean herself up, so I pointed to the cord and she chewed through it on her own.
Thank the Lord! I'm so nervous: this is my first time being a grand-Meowmy!

She's been in labor for almost two hours now, but has only delivered the two babies so far. Does that mean she's done delivering??
Or can it go on for hours??
She seems like she's done, but I don't know.
And I haven't noticed her delivering the afterbirth...

What should I expect to happen next??

~KK~

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is normal to be longer than 2 hours. Pennie had her litter 3 weeks ago, and went 7 hours (5 babies). As I understand it, the afterbirth comes out with each baby. It's their sac, and one is attached to each baby. Make sure she delivers one for each baby. Update when you can! With pics!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theallis5

It is normal to be longer than 2 hours. Pennie had her litter 3 weeks ago, and went 7 hours (5 babies). As I understand it, the afterbirth comes out with each baby. It's their sac, and one is attached to each baby. Make sure she delivers one for each baby. Update when you can! With pics!
She just had baby #3, and I noticed her cleaning all the gunk off the baby right after delivering it. So I guess she's been doing it all along, only I didn't realize that that's what she was doing.
What a dunce I am!

I intend on taking plenty of pics after she's all done, but unfortunately I won't be able to post them till after our computer is running again..
(I'm having to use my WebTV right now, and I can't post pics with it..
) But as soon as I can post them, I WILL!
I'm so excited!!

How long should I wait before I pick the babies up??
She's having them under the computer desk, and I want to move them into the box I fixed up for her, but I don't want to touch them too soon..

~KK~

momof3furbabies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
you can touch them as soon as mama feels comfortable allowing you. Genie allowed me to touch them immediately. She had hers behind the washing machine when I wasn't even home but I was able to see her birth her last kitten and within 30 mins I had them all in a laundry basket and safetly up in my room. She moved em under my bed where she felt safer, which was fine. It is ok right after birth. Good luck!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Thanks for responding so quickly, Nova!

I went back in her room to check on her again, and the cord was still attached. Salem was trying to clean herself up, so I pointed to the cord and she chewed through it on her own.
Thank the Lord! I'm so nervous: this is my first time being a grand-Meowmy!

~KK~
You're welcome.

Smart Salem for chewing the cord when you pointed it out! I hope the whole delivery goes well for you, Salem, and kittens.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

You're welcome.

Smart Salem for chewing the cord when you pointed it out! I hope the whole delivery goes well for you, Salem, and kittens.
I thought she was being pretty darn smart about it too!
But it didn't surprise me too much: she's always seemed like an intelligent cat.

She delivered the fourth baby about an hour ago, and also the afterbirth sack (or whatever it is) right after that. So I think she's done.
I'll bet she's relieved, too!

She's resting comfortably now under the computer desk, with the babies nursing. She's purring like crazy, and kneading her feet in the air. Everytime I go in to check on her, she looks at me as if to say, "Thank you Meowmy, for letting me having my babies inside! I wuv you!"
It's soooo cute!

I can't tell for sure just yet what colors the babies are, but it looks as if she has 2 black ones like herself (and one even has a stubby little tail like she does), and the other 2 are gonna be more gray in color, with striped markings. One of them has lighter coloring on his/her face. They're so adorable!
I'll probably get a better look at them when I move them into the box, which I plan on doing as soon as Salem's rested up a little, and when she'll allow me to. I don't think I'll have any problems.
She seems to be so grateful that I rescued her from being an outdoor stray.

Updates to come!

Thanks for your help, peeps!
I was a little freaked out when she started screaming!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I was able to move the babies into the box w/o any problems, and Salem followed them right into the box.
She doesn't mind me picking them up at all: I guess that means she trusts me.

The two black babies both have stubby tails like their mom, and the other two have striped markings. One is more gray in color with a lighter colored face, and the other one is darker in color. I don't know what sex they are: it's too soon for me to tell..

They're all so adorable!
I know I'll want to keep them all!

~KK~

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the kitties. Looks like it was a busy day while I was away

Cant wait to see pics when your computer is up and running. Congratulations again!!!