UK = Gambling?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.
I always had and still have the impression that UK is all about Gambling.
Personally I've never been to UK in my entire life however I did get from many sources the impression that if you're not into Gambling or Soccer then you have nothing to look for in UK.
What do you think? Is it true or just a bad impression?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What can I say, absolute rubbish. Yes some people like to bet on horse races or football matches, and football is popular, but you make it sound awful. Horrible stereotype and I'm really quite put out!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
VERY bad impression. I'm a Brit. I could almost be offended. My suggestion would be to go there before jumping to conclusions. True some areas are totally football mad to the point of it being an obsession. True, some people like to gamble.... but take a look at the U.S. Aren't there places in the states where both apply?
Think about, oh, let's say Vegas? And at least we Brits don't all have firearms in our homes for "protection". Wouldn't you say that would also be an unfair judgement?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
"True some areas are totally football mad to the point of it being an obsession"

Yeah, that's what I wad referring to

I do apologize if somebody got offended, it was just a simple question but it's nice to see views from you there. I'd definitely hope to be there some day, especially in London

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah but you didn't specify
You tarred the brush and painted the entire island with the same misconception!
Not offended.... to be honest, I had no idea that the U.K. had such a horrlbe stereotype hanging over it's head.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Hi everyone.
I always had and still have the impression that UK is all about Gambling.
Personally I've never been to UK in my entire life however I did get from many sources the impression that if you're not into Gambling or Soccer then you have nothing to look for in UK.
What do you think? Is it true or just a bad impression?
I`m actually quite speechless! You soooooo have the wrong impression and I can`t see how the UK can be 'all about gambling'. As a Brit myself, I have to say that I very rarely gamble, apart from buying the odd lotto ticket.
Maybe you should come and visit before you decide

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

I`m actually quite speechless! You soooooo have the wrong impression and I can`t see how the UK can be 'all about gambling'. As a Brit myself, I have to say that I very rarely gamble, apart from buying the odd lotto ticket.
Maybe you should come and visit before you decide
How's the weather there? Here was raining yesterday now it's warm, weather is crazy in Dallas

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kind of mad like in the rest of the world lately!

On sunday we had snow that settled then monday, tues, wed, and today have been beautiful and sunny. It`s pretty good really.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never ever even heard anyone mention that the UK may have a gambling problem. I find England to be full of society, culture, history and fun. I will be going for the first time this summer and I'm excited. I hope it will be all I have heard it to be and more.

If you have heard a stereotype, this will never apply to the country as a whole, but the few individuals in the country that ruin it for all the others. Each country has its good side and bad.

It's just like saying all germans are Nazis and they aren't. THAT really offends me because I am german.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in England for a year and never once even heard a mention of gambling. Football [soccer] is another story, but it still wasn't something that I participated in. I would say it's more a culture of "having fun". We went to pubs, nightclubs, bars, parties, coffee shops, gigs... visited galleries (I'm an artist), went shopping....and I did some sightseeing when possible.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

If you have heard a stereotype, this will never apply to the country as a whole, but the few individuals in the country that ruin it for all the others. Each country has its good side and bad.
Well stated!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haha im not even going to say it...................
heck yes i am!
england is full of footy crazy loonys but comeon most of them are good respectfull human biengs at home

we havent reached the stage of shootouts in schools and gang wars.... but hey where on our way too it!
wooo england is becoming america yay!

there arent even very many english people in england!
hmmpf ill shutup before i get beaten lol

rickyd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am shocked that this thread has been allowed to continue,after dising the UK,there is four countries in the UK are you classing them all the same? I would say you should visit the UK before you make posts like this knowing full well that there are people from the UK on this site,had you written about Africans in this way this thread would have been deleted i for one have taken offence at this post,are all Americans hell bent on causing wars and shooting innocent people in high schools? I doubt it very much so why should we all be classed the same?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

Have you ever heard the saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it!"

In other words your sources are talking pure drivel!!.

Where did they go to in the UK btw to come up with this nonsense?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Have you ever heard the saying "Don't knock it until you've tried it!"

In other words your sources are talking pure drivel!!.

Where did they go to in the UK btw to come up with this nonsense?
Good question... people I talked to about it are from UK so....

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

What can I say, absolute rubbish. Yes some people like to bet on horse races or football matches, and football is popular, but you make it sound awful. Horrible stereotype and I'm really quite put out!
Originally Posted by rickyd

I am shocked that this thread has been allowed to continue,after dising the UK,there is four countries in the UK are you classing them all the same? I would say you should visit the UK before you make posts like this knowing full well that there are people from the UK on this site,had you written about Africans in this way this thread would have been deleted i for one have taken offence at this post,are all Americans hell bent on causing wars and shooting innocent people in high schools? I doubt it very much so why should we all be classed the same?

is all i have to say on this matter...

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rickyd

I do apologize, definitely wasn't my intention

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gambling is far from my mind when I think of the UK. I think more Monarchy, beer, Celtic, Kilts, castles, etc.