Tapeworm, is this product any good?

idreamincolor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I just found this group, and just now joined. I have a question concerning my cat. We brought her in as a stray 4 years ago. She had tapeworms and we took her to the vet and they gave us a pill for her to take. I didn't see anymore tapeworms until now, she has them again. I called the vet to see if we could just pick up another pill for her, and they wouldn't do it unless we brought her in. Taking her to the vet right now is an impossibility for me right now. I went to petmeds.com and ordered this product called "tapeworm tabs", it is not prescription strenght, but I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions or experience about this product. Since it is not a prescription pill, I'm concerned that it won't be as effective. Has anyone used this product?
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Tape+Worm...prod10415.html

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, you should never use over-the-counter or on-line meds IMO. Firstly they are often ineffective, and secondly they have been known to harm or kill animals.

There is a reason your vet will not prescribe medication over the phone without seeing your cat. My human doctor will not prescribe any medications over the phone without seeing me.

Tapeworm is the result of a cat swallowing a flea so you may want to ensure your home and cat are flea-free. Flea medications should also be obtained from a vet and not over-the-counter which again is either ineffective and can be deadly.

The money you think you are saving by not going to the vet could well cost you much more in the long term.

whispern'cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is actually a realy good tapewormer. It is Praziquantal and that is what Droncit is (sold by vets) it is also in Drontal ( Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate) which eliminates both tape, round, and others.

I've been using it for over a year and it works the same as the more expensive, same drug, from the vet marketed under another name Droncit. Our vet approves it's use. It is more cost effective for me to use Praziquantel and Pyrantel Pamoate seperately due to the number of fur kids we have. We do purchase the extra strength Pyrantel from my vet in pint bottles as he gives us a discount.

Here is a link to read if you wish about Droncit and Drontal.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_praziquantel.html

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I would not mess around with over the counter meds for my cats. The vet wants to be sure its tapeworm and they weigh the cat and prescribe the proper dosage.

Maybe call your vet and ask if you can drop off a stool sample and get the pill again. If not, then you will have to schedule a visit as soon as possible.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when my vet was out of tapeworm meds, they told me to go buy those at petsmart but ONLY those. they said they were the same as drontal and made by them. but this was like 3 yrs ago.

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
tapeworms are not usually a huge deal. if your cat is in good health, the average OTC wormer should be fine. sure it may not work, depending on the active ingredients. personally i like using Revolution, it covers many parasites and is very safe (why it isn't OTC in the US i have no idea). buy you can order it online:

http://www.petdrugs.com/

Revolution is listed under Flea meds but it does worms too. also they sell Drontal OTC, which is pretty good, if pricey.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Treating for tapes can be very dangerous... see the poisons used can cause issues if tapes arent the issue/.... taking a stool sample to the vet is a safe thing to do ... then ask their opinion on a OTC product

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TheCatSite.

I agree with the members who feel it is best to have your vet treat tapeworm.
Please, have your vet worm your kitty.
There is a fine line between a poison being effective or toxic.
My vet uses a shot.

If you use a good vet prescribed flea control medication, after your cat's current treatment, tapeworm might become a thing of the past, if your kitty stays indoors.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco got Drontal for her tapeworms and it worked. She has has the shot for worms before too. The Vet told me get the pill because its cheaper then the shot. Also we ust bring a stool sample and do not have to bring her to the Vet for that. I would take a sample to the Vet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have experience with animals with worms and you know for sure these is tapeworm that you are seeing then yes, Tapeworm Tabs are EXACTLY the same thing your vet will give you. Both are Praziquantal and that is the most important thing to look for when giving tapeworm dewormer (the active ingredient). Follow the doses carefully and make sure you give the right amount based on your cats body weight.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The key here is ... do you have experience with cats and tape worm?
If not, don't risk your cat's health. Talk to your vet about this.

As you can see, we all have opinions but only your vet can accurately advise you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

The key here is ... do you have experience with cats and tape worm?
If not, don't risk your cat's health. Talk to your vet about this.

As you can see, we all have opinions but only your vet can accurately advise you.
Exactly, fortunately it is really simple to tell what tapeworm is which is good news. If it looks like a grain of rice located where the cat was laying or around its behind or in the poo, then you can easily tell exactly what it is! No need for a fecal. If this is what you are seeing then tapeworm tabs are exactly what you need, also called drontal or Praziquantal, its all the same exact thing.

As I already mentioned, MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS CAREFULLY and ONLY GIVE THE EXACT DOSE. DON'T GIVE TOO MUCH. WEIGHT YOUR CAT FIRST IF YOU NEED TO.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people don't have enough home experience dealing with minor problems, so its really best to take the cat to a vet. I know the basics for worms and luckily none of my cats have had them (round or tape). But if they did, I'd take them to the vet for them to give the proper dosage.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Most people don't have enough home experience dealing with minor problems, so its really best to take the cat to a vet. I know the basics for worms and luckily none of my cats have had them (round or tape). But if they did, I'd take them to the vet for them to give the proper dosage.
this is very true ... PLUS round and hook in various larvel stages also look like rice

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I agree with GK. Unless you really know what you are doing or have experience in medicating animals, you are really taking a chance giving medications to your cats without prescription from a certified vet. We do have some folks here who are vet techs or working with TNR groups, etc. and they may have knowledge and experience enough to feel very confident about medicating with OTC drugs, but I beg you to not do this unless you know what you are doing. Beloved pets have died because of folks taking matters into their own hands without the knowledge necessary to do so.

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i guess i should state that my kitty had a tapeworm once before and i knew what it looked like and i knew how much to give her and all that good jazz...

i wasnt just trying to turn my kitty into a pill head or anything heh