Evil Plastic Bags and the Wonders of Catnip

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Christy likes to open doors and get into small spaces. Today she got into the sink cupboard, where I store my plastic bags, and into the box where they're kept. The next thing I knew, she was running frantically around the house with the handle of a plastic bag round her neck! She was scared to death and bouncing around like a pinball; Tiny was chasing her; and Baby was running away with her tail puffed up like a pipe cleaner. I tried to catch her and couldn't; but the bag caught on something, and most of it ripped away.

Christy was in a quivering little ball under the dresser; Baby was freaked out and hissing at nothing; and Tiny wanted to sink his claws into something--anything!--which was making things even worse. Finally, after I removed the remaining bag from poor Christy, I resorted to drugging the whole lot of them with catnip.

Christy has come out of her hiding spot--I am so amazed at her!--and decided to sit in the space between my computer desk and the wall instead. Tiny is calm and perched on top of my chair. Baby has returned to surveying the neighborhood. And I am making plans to get a cat-proof container for my plastic bags!

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it common for cats to be afraid of plastic bags? Mine aren't, so I didn't know that. One of mine will run from them, but she runs from everything, so I thought it was just her. The other two absolutely love them, they'll pounce on them and kick them up in the air, burrow into them... I guess I've got some weird cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are afraid of something that grabs them, chases them, and makes a loud rattling sound.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is it with cats and plastic bags? Buddy always gets up on the cabinets when I'm putting groceries away and plays with the plastic bags. Well one time he too got the handle wrapped around his neck and went absolutely BONKERS- I think he actually knocked a guitar off the stand. A guy at work said his cat did the same thing. It a mystery!

denao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has done the same thing. She loved playing with plastic bags, and and at some point she got the handle around her neck and freaked out. The running caused the flapping of the bag by her head to be louder, and she couldn't shake it.

She ran around and around the living room faster than I have ever seen her, slamming into walls she was trying to take corners so fast. Eventually it flew off, and she ran into a corner shaking she was so scared.

No more plastic bag toys for me!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The exact same thing happened with Toby once! It was hours before he calmed down.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

Is it common for cats to be afraid of plastic bags? Mine aren't, so I didn't know that. One of mine will run from them, but she runs from everything, so I thought it was just her. The other two absolutely love them, they'll pounce on them and kick them up in the air, burrow into them... I guess I've got some weird cats.
Playing with them is one thing. Having one wrapped around their neck is something else entirely. All of mine like playing with them.

cocoalily

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lady did the same thing. The bag was sitting on my floor, and before I realized it she had it around her neck. A moment later she sat down abruptly and started poking it with the most hilarious 'ooo, funny' expression on her face.

With Twix's last litter of kittens (she's spayed right now) one of the boys found a plastic bag and promply fell asleep in it.
I guess mine aren't afraid of them!