Am scared to wake her

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My senior Joji is sleeping a lot. She is more than 13 years old (i have been saying this for a few years already so she's likely to be beyond 15). Everytime I pet her when she sleeps, she bolts up like she was shocked. It's getting to be scary for me. I feel like I might give her a heart attack. I tried saying her name before I touch her, but she does not hear me.
Am I now limited to cuddle her only when she is awake?

clumsy kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh bless her! Sounds like she's going a bit deaf in her old age...
Have you tried rubbing the floor where she's sleeping before stroking her? Or the couch? She'll likely feel the vibrations, but it probably won't shock her. She'll probably be aware of activity around her then, so you can have your cuddle without worrying.
Just a thought, could be wrong

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe I should gently blow on her whiskers or ears?

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Why is it even necessary for you to pet her while she's sleeping? If it obviously disturbs her, why not just wait until she's awake?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Why is it even necessary for you to pet her while she's sleeping? If it obviously disturbs her, why not just wait until she's awake?
I think sometimes our kitties look so cute while sleeping we can't help but want to cuddle. That's the case with me anyway.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Awwww bless her heart. I know when i stroke Rosie when she's asleep she'll make a brrrr noise like a grump as if to say "Did you have to wake me!!"
Popsie does the same thing if I touch him while he's asleep.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about stomping the floor? Sounds to me like she's going deaf (or is deaf already). For my two deafies, I stop a couple of times until they're awake.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she should be seen by the vet, who can check for deafness and anything else that might be going on lately.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clumsy kitty

Oh bless her! Sounds like she's going a bit deaf in her old age...
Have you tried rubbing the floor where she's sleeping before stroking her? Or the couch? She'll likely feel the vibrations, but it probably won't shock her. She'll probably be aware of activity around her then, so you can have your cuddle without worrying.
Just a thought, could be wrong
Good advice. Sometimes turning a light on works too if they sense the change. I wouldn't blow on her as that's just as likely to make her jump.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My black lab turned 14 this year and her hearing is definitely horrible... we usually have to clap or whistle to get her attention (she can still hear really high pitched noises too - she takes notice sometimes to the tv)... but she does the same thing, jumps up if you touch her when she's sleeping - so I try to kind of pound the floor near her first and get her to open her eyes and then pet her

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

Good point! But there are times when I must. Like when she's asleep on my bed and I have to move her. Or when I find her asleep on the keyboard and I have to use the computer. Of course I'm like luvmycat1 too and love to pet her sleepy head.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you everyone!

I'll use the floor stomping method. Joji never sleeps on the floor but I guess the vibrations will reach her no matter how high up she is. There's also nothing wrong with her sense of smell so I will also try putting drops of vanilla extract on my hands. She loves it and will probably open her eyes when she gets a whiff of it.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

What about stomping the floor? Sounds to me like she's going deaf (or is deaf already). For my two deafies, I stop a couple of times until they're awake.
Going deaf came to my mind also. I was talking to my friend last night who has a deaf cat and he (the cat) bit her DH the other day when he woke him.

My Stumpy turns 13 next week and he gets grumpier and grumpier the older he gets, particularly when it comes to waking him up. He absolutely hates to be disturbed when he is asleep. Perhaps its a combination of getting older and getting hard of hearing?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Going deaf came to my mind also. I was talking to my friend last night who has a deaf cat and he (the cat) bit her DH the other day when he woke him.
I do not think Joji gets angry when I wake her. It's more like she's startled. Then she calms down, purrs and cuddles up to me.
Perhaps she hasn't reached the point where she hates to be disturbed during her naps. Oh dear, guess I must take it slow for a lady who is slowing down.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd be really irritated if somebody woke me up out of a dead sleep. I vote to leave the little furbaby alone until she wakes up

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2furbabies

I'd be really irritated if somebody woke me up out of a dead sleep. I vote to leave the little furbaby alone until she wakes up
Okeedokee

Actually, the floor stomping is working!
Now I know she is going deaf.