Goodbye to Variety!

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If anyone is here is familiar with my kitty, you'd know that I've had her since day 5. She's an orphan and I hand raised her entirely. She's 6 months old now, wow time flies and she's going to be a big big girl. She's not overweight, the vet confirmed it, but she's nearing 8 lbs!

Since weaning, I've been feeding her a buffet of wet food, all different kind of brands/meat/texture, from pate to gravy to everything in between. Lamb, chicken, venison, beef, ocean fish, etc. She used to eat them all, lick the plate clean. I thought I have the most UNFINICKY cat on the planet earth.

And then, it struck! She started to have a preference. Turn up her nose on many brands, Caifornia Natural, Eagle Pack Holistic, Felidae, Fromm (used to her favorite but somehow the company changed to texture of the food), Merrick, the list goes on and on. I can't believe it really. After a month or two, it only comes down to four types of food that she would eat. Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea, Venison and Green Pea, Turkey and Giblet and Solid Gold Tuna Entree. Yup, only those four and four only.

What a trip. Now, I have cans upon cans of unwanted food in my pantry. Well, you really can't train a cat to eat it all. Cats are really born to be finicky. I rest my case!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lol.. the saying cats have servent s dogs have owners is so so true

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

If anyone is here is familiar with my kitty, you'd know that I've had her since day 5. She's an orphan and I hand raised her entirely. She's 6 months old now, wow time flies and she's going to be a big big girl. She's not overweight, the vet confirmed it, but she's nearing 8 lbs!

Since weaning, I've been feeding her a buffet of wet food, all different kind of brands/meat/texture, from pate to gravy to everything in between. Lamb, chicken, venison, beef, ocean fish, etc. She used to eat them all, lick the plate clean. I thought I have the most UNFINICKY cat on the planet earth.

And then, it struck! She started to have a preference. Turn up her nose on many brands, Caifornia Natural, Eagle Pack Holistic, Felidae, Fromm (used to her favorite but somehow the company changed to texture of the food), Merrick, the list goes on and on. I can't believe it really. After a month or two, it only comes down to four types of food that she would eat. Natural Balance Duck and Green Pea, Venison and Green Pea, Turkey and Giblet and Solid Gold Tuna Entree. Yup, only those four and four only.

What a trip. Now, I have cans upon cans of unwanted food in my pantry. Well, you really can't train a cat to eat it all. Cats are really born to be finicky. I rest my case!
They certainly do master us don't they. Why not ask your pet store if they'd take back the unopened cans in exchange for cans of the food she likes. Failing that, you could always donate them to your local humane society/shelter.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley will sometimes stop eating a certain food after about a month, then a month or two later will eat it again if offered. I think he gets bored with them quickly, but its not always a permanent dislike. If you can't return the cans, you might try them again in a few weeks or months. Otherwise, I would donate them to a shelter.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want to donate the unused cans to a shelter, then maybe mix a can with the kind she will eat.

Natural Balance is good stuff. My guys eat the same ones as you listed, but I don't buy tuna cat foods. They also eat Nutro/Max Cat canned and the Iams canned.

Charlie had a UTI last fall and is on RC for Urinary and so I have to limit the brand/type of canned foods - no more Friskies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The food will go to the tummy of one very lucky stray cat which my dear BF is taking care of at work. He has been feeding Sweetie for a few months now and I've decided to let her have Lucy Belle's food.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tutti_bella

The food will go to the tummy of one very lucky stray cat which my dear BF is taking care of at work. He has been feeding Sweetie for a few months now and I've decided to let her have Lucy Belle's food.
That is a wonderful idea

Chloe is picky about wet food too (well, quality wet food at least). She loves Solid Gold though, probably because it's so smelly!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats will only eat Wellness in the pouches with gravy. They will not touch Merrick with a ten foot pole.