TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bad Dessert?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bad Dessert?

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
After work today I met up with a couple of friends and went to a local downtown for food.

The dinner that we ordered included dessert. We ordered this, got served our desserts and our first reactions all were "Ooooo....this is so good!"

Then it got me thinking, has anyone ever said the opposite? I.e. you receive your dessert and after the first taste say "Ew" or "This is terrible"?

Out of the three of us we couldn't think of a time, but then again none of normally get dessert.
post #2 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
After work today I met up with a couple of friends and went to a local downtown for food.

The dinner that we ordered included dessert. We ordered this, got served our desserts and our first reactions all were "Ooooo....this is so good!"

Then it got me thinking, has anyone ever said the opposite? I.e. you receive your dessert and after the first taste say "Ew" or "This is terrible"?

Out of the three of us we couldn't think of a time, but then again none of normally get dessert.
Yes. The lime/chili/chocolate torte my friend made was terrible. The bad part was there was NO way to get around it. None. I had to be totally honest.

The good news is that she then whipped up some strawberries and cream and we went to town.
post #3 of 22
I've done that... when a friend insisted I try their dessert... without telling me it had coconut in it... *ack*
post #4 of 22
I never met a dessert I didn't like!
post #5 of 22
I don't think I've ever had a gross dessert.
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
The lime/chili/chocolate torte my friend made was terrible.
Why did your friend think such a concoction would be edible. That sounds quite awful.

I haven't had a bad dessert yet, but I am incredibly picky. If it looks or sounds odd, I won't try it.
post #7 of 22
hmmmm there have probably been some that were an "adventure" but not that gross me out completely. That lime/chili concoction sounds pretty bad though
post #8 of 22
Having run into some strange combinations that worked remarkably well, I'm prepared to try things now that I would have raised my eyebrows about not many years ago. That lime/chili/chocolate would certainly pique my interest, and depending on who offered it, I might be more inclined to blame the maker than the concept for the failure.

That said, I think of a trifle I had recently that was -- ummm, "decidedly ho-hum" would be a compliment...
post #9 of 22
I don't like pies from restaurants. The crust is terrible usually and the filling is more like jello with a few actual pieces of fruit thrown in or dragged through. And the cream pies are not made with milk or cream - they are made with powders and water - more like a gelatin filling. When I make my pies, the cream pies are real cream pies and the fruit pies are packed with fruit and not a lot of thickening.

So yes, there are lots of desserts I wouldn't eat, but usually only in restaurants.
post #10 of 22
I remember going to a Mexican restaurant with my sister a long time ago. We had pitchers of margaritas with dinner and then ordered Kahlúa Mousse for dessert. The sweet Kahlúa Mousse tasted HORRIBLE with the margarita! The sour margarita and the sweet Kahlúa made you pucker up and say "OHMYGOD!!!!" I imagine it would have been wonderful by itself, but not the way we had it!

I hate anything with peanuts or peanutbutter in it. There's been times I was dying to try some yummy looking dessert, only to taste it, and nearly puke because of the peanutbutter hidden in it!!!
post #11 of 22
This takes me back a lot of years (that's how bad it was). My bf in high school made my family a lemon merangue pie. It looked beautiful, but as it turns out, he made it with duck eggs! Ewww...!
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
Why did your friend think such a concoction would be edible. That sounds quite awful.

I haven't had a bad dessert yet, but I am incredibly picky. If it looks or sounds odd, I won't try it.
If she would have kicked up the lime a bit more and used a different type of chocolate it would have worked. It sounds bad, but after some tweaking it works out really well.

Try putting a little chilli powder with your hot chocolate this winter. You'd be amazed at how well it works out.
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingglass View Post
If she would have kicked up the lime a bit more and used a different type of chocolate it would have worked. It sounds bad, but after some tweaking it works out really well.

Try putting a little chilli powder with your hot chocolate this winter. You'd be amazed at how well it works out.
For sure! Chili is a GREAT accent for chocolate.
post #14 of 22
I don't like anything with jello bits in it. If the jello is dissolved into something such as cream, pineapple bits and juice with grated carrots, that's ok. But if the jello is just allowed to jel and then cut up and mixed with other stuff, that is enough to make me vomit.

I love the smell of jello. I like the taste of it when it's a liquid too. But once it turns to jelly, it reminds me of mucous and I can't stand the look or texture of it.
post #15 of 22
^ I see I'm not the only one with jello issues.

I'll have to pass on the chili and chocolate, too. Though potato chips dipped in milk chocolate tastes good.
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by strange_wings View Post
^ I see I'm not the only one with jello issues.

I'll have to pass on the chili and chocolate, too. Though potato chips dipped in milk chocolate tastes good.
I'd try the chili/chocolate thing but not potato chips and milk!

Any dessert that someone serves me that is made from a mix or store bought I say, "No thanks," if I can. It's just that to me, it is easy to make something quickly, like the strawberries and cream.
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
I'd try the chili/chocolate thing but not potato chips and milk!
Not potato chips and milk, that does sound gross. Milk chocolate, the sweetness of it blends well with plain salty chips.
post #18 of 22
A fat-free cheesecake that my MIL made has got to rank up there as one of the worst desserts I have ever tasted! I think it was also sugar-free.
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbysMom View Post
A fat-free cheesecake that my MIL made has got to rank up there as one of the worst desserts I have ever tasted! I think it was also sugar-free.
Sugar free/Fat free cheesecake? What's the point? If I'm going to eat cheesecake it's going to be the whole hog.
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
I don't like pies from restaurants. The crust is terrible usually and the filling is more like jello with a few actual pieces of fruit thrown in or dragged through. And the cream pies are not made with milk or cream - they are made with powders and water - more like a gelatin filling. When I make my pies, the cream pies are real cream pies and the fruit pies are packed with fruit and not a lot of thickening.

So yes, there are lots of desserts I wouldn't eat, but usually only in restaurants.
i second the 'no pie in restaurants' vote - i usually eat just the filling - & only cream pies. fruit pies in restaurants are icky! that said, i have had key lime pies in restaurants that are good... & cheesecake from the cheesecake factory is yummy
post #21 of 22
In my eyes, there is no such thing as a bad dessert!! It's all a matter of taste. I have yet to eat a dessert that bad!
post #22 of 22
Yes. I have at least. I don't like many desserts, I am very picky, I refuse to eat cake or cupcakes after trying so many eating out, at other people's homes, weddings, etc. the icing is gross and I just don't care for the taste even though everyone seems to love cake, that is why I kept trying, but it isn't for me. Jello is strange, don't care for the texture either. And pies, they don't taste good to me either, except for one homemade fruit pie by my mom. But I am thankful for this, since I don't have a sweet tooth in that way (I like fried foods, like fries and onion rings, that is my "bad" thing). I would rather have fresh fruit plain.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Bad Dessert?