Hair problem... :(

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, in the last couple of weeks I've noticed a spot on the back of my head where my hair tends to feel sticky/oily. Now, I have thick hair (although it's baby fine), and take care to rinse my hair thoroughly, so I thought it might be the shampoo/conditioner I was using.

Two weeks later, and the spot is still there, even after switching brands of shampoo and conditioner. I made a point of rinsing VERY thoroughly, and still it's there.

The only thing I can think is that it sprung up because of vitamins I'm taking. I'm taking a generic prenatal (my Dr says, "Just in case!") and fish oil once a day. Could either of those cause this?

There isn't any irritation, and the hair just feels like there's product on it (mousse or something). I only use a fine mist of hair spray on TOP of my hair (you have to dig your fingers into my hair to feel the spot).

I have a hair appt already scheduled and will talk to my hair dresser then, but this is really annoying.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I have way long straight hair and sometimes I have problems with it feeling "sticky" and that sometimes makes it break when I go to comb it out... I think mine develops from product build-up (shampoo, conditioner, hairspray), so what I do every once in awhile is I take a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with a 1/2 cup of water - I put it in a tupperware bowl with a lid and bring it in the shower with me... I wet my hair then use the vinegar mixture on it (since my hair is so long, I bend over and kind of put my head/hair in the bowl haha)... work it into your hair then rinse and shampoo/condition as usual... what it does is strip all the gunk out of your hair without damaging it (I color my hair too and it doesn't affect the coloring at all)... It works for me and my mom's hairdresser even recommended it... it wouldn't hurt to try at the very least - just keep your mouth and eyes closed so the vinegar doesn't get in haha

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I have way long straight hair and sometimes I have problems with it feeling "sticky" and that sometimes makes it break when I go to comb it out... I think mine develops from product build-up (shampoo, conditioner, hairspray), so what I do every once in awhile is I take a 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with a 1/2 cup of water - I put it in a tupperware bowl with a lid and bring it in the shower with me... I wet my hair then use the vinegar mixture on it (since my hair is so long, I bend over and kind of put my head/hair in the bowl haha)... work it into your hair then rinse and shampoo/condition as usual... what it does is strip all the gunk out of your hair without damaging it (I color my hair too and it doesn't affect the coloring at all)... It works for me and my mom's hairdresser even recommended it... it wouldn't hurt to try at the very least - just keep your mouth and eyes closed so the vinegar doesn't get in haha
I thought about vinegar, since we have some, but was worried it would mess with my coloring.
I think I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens. I think I'll have to take over the kitchen sink, since it's probably the best place to try it. We only have a shower in our master bathroom, and we don't typically use the tub/shower in the spare.

Thanks!!!!
I'll post how it works.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I thought about vinegar, since we have some, but was worried it would mess with my coloring.
I think I'll give that a try tonight and see what happens. I think I'll have to take over the kitchen sink, since it's probably the best place to try it. We only have a shower in our master bathroom, and we don't typically use the tub/shower in the spare.

Thanks!!!!
I'll post how it works.
You could call your hairstylist and ask if vinegar would help without affecting your color.