Swollen chin?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Jordan has been doing so well. I hate the idea of taking him to the vet, but his little chin is swollen. I'm preety sure it is just that his acne has gotten totally out of control but I made an appointment for him anyway. We are going tomorrow after noon. I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this before? I've seen cats with bad acne, but I don't think I've ever seen their chin swell up. I hope it is not more serious for two reasons. One I can't afford anything serious. Two he has been doing so well that I hate to see something set him back. I suspect that if they have to do any procedures he will need to be sedated. His poor little chin is very sensitive & he hates the vet to begin with. Is this a simple case of kitty acne, or could it be something worse?

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If he's had acne there before, that's probably it. But it could be an infected scratch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has had the typical problems of a white chined cats. Basicly black heads. last week he did have some acne that opened and bled. That was Saturday. The swelling started on Sunday, but has been getting much worse since then. I guess ultimatly I'm worried about some type of cancer. Jordan has had elevated blood calcium for almost a year and weather or not he has cancer has been an on going question. I guess all I can do i pray that it is acne that responds well to treatment. One of the things that makes me think it is bad acne is that he gets 5mg of pred a day to keep his blood calcium down. It seems like yesterday morning when I got up it was bad. I gave him his pred and went to work. Came home & it was a little better (that's why I didn't call the vet last night). Then this morning it was bad again. I know that pred is used to treat acne. He is more susceptable to infection because of the pred. He had feline herpes and has never had a good immune system, but being on the pred has made it worse.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His appointment is at 3PM today and I'm wondering what they are going to want to do to him. I hope they don't have to put a drain in it, or anything. I really do feel bad for which ever vet tech tries to hold him down. He won't even let me touch it so I'm sure he's going to be worse at the vets office.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor guy.
Sending that his chinny-chin-chin feels better soon.

Stimpy has on and off issues with chin acne. I think it was a year ago he had it pretty bad. It took 2 medications to clear up. His chin was pretty sore and swollen.

kittycorner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it is acne then you could always treat it with a simple treatment of Stridex pads when his chin is less swollen and open sores, but see what the vet says, also you may look into switchign food dishes, to a metal or ceramic-mine do best with ceramic dishes, although we have to occasional outbreak of acne eery once in a while.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Poor guy.
Sending that his chinny-chin-chin feels better soon.
That's funny, I'm always asking him how his "Chinny-chin-chin" if feeling

Originally Posted by kittycorner

If it is acne then you could always treat it with a simple treatment of Stridex pads when his chin is less swollen and open sores, but see what the vet says, also you may look into switchign food dishes, to a metal or ceramic-mine do best with ceramic dishes, although we have to occasional outbreak of acne eery once in a while.
I do have acne treatment for him & Maggie, but this is just too big & irritated. They eat off ceramic plates (Yes plates from my dishes because they are people too aren't they?
). The vet did suggest that the plastic water fountain could be making it worse and that I have to make sure to clean it really well, or switch to a metal water dish.

So the vet is preety sure it's just acne. They shaved his little chin & cleaned it up. There are 3 other possibilities; an infection (same treatment as the acne), some syndrome I can't remember the name of and possiblity a neoplasm (SP?). The syndrome is unlikely because that is normally treated with pred, which he is already on pred every day. The Neoplasm is a type of mouth cancer that there is no treatment for. The vet thinks it is not very likely, but still a possibility. So for now, he is on 2 weeks of Clavamox. I need to keep his chin clean (with dawn dish soap), and wait. If it's not better in 2 weeks he needs to go back, and have x-rays and possibly a biopsy. He's doing fine other than his chin looking terrible. He's eating fine, cuddling like normal. He is a little crabby, but I would be to because I'm sure that chin hurts.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Matilda's chin got really swollen when her acne was out of control. It looked so painful. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was.

I've been dealing with her acne since October when I adopted her, I am taking her to a new vet this week
My vet wants to do a biopsy on her chin.

Here is a pic that you can kind of see the swelling in. The really swollen parts are by her lips. This pic is so gross. At this point, the zits were big and cystic and that's why it's so swollen. The blood is from one that had drained (probably from Mattie rubbing it with her paws). (No I didn't leave that on her chin). This pic is so sad, it makes me want to cry
My baby.

(It doesn't look like this, right now it's mostly the normal black specks)

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so embarassing, but here is the photo of his chin. It looks terrible. I feel bad for him because it must really hurt. You can probably see where it has opened up a couple of times today. His neck is wet because I was washing it the way the vet told me to. I'm hoping that the vet shaving it, and him being on antibiotics will take care of this soon. My poor baby!!!

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor thing

I was not expecting it to be a big lump like that. Have you tried Clavamox before? We tried 2 (or 3 maybe?) courses for Matilda and it did nothing. How much does your vet charge for a skin biopsy?

My cat's chin got so much worse after being shaved, I wonder if cats can get ingrown hairs like we do? I know shaving it makes it easier to clean but after the first/last time I had it done for Matilda, I don't think I'll do that to her again.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Belive it or not it was actually worse than that yesterday. Then last night when I was cleaning it, another part opened up, It was nasty, but I think he felt better after because it seemed to releave some pressue. So this morning it's back to the way it looked Saturday. He is on Clavamox right now. I am hoping it will start to get better now. I don't know how much my vet is going to charge, but I don't think he plans on doing a skin biopsy. They want to put him totaly under to do the biopsy. Although considering what came out of his face last night I don't think it's necessary. This looks to me like a bad case of acne, or some other type of infection.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, this is nasty, but it was a little puss, a little bit of hard white stuff and a lot of blood. Yesterday it was just leaking clear stuff. The swelling was way down last night, then this morning it was all swollen again.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try warm compresses (if they'll be tolerated) to help open up the wound, reduce the pressure and clean out the puss. That might allow it to heal more fully.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

You could try warm compresses (if they'll be tolerated) to help open up the wound, reduce the pressure and clean out the puss. That might allow it to heal more fully.
I had thought about that but I wasn't sure if it would help or make it worse. I will have to try, I do not know if he will let me do that. It seems to be very sore and he gets grumpy when I clean it (I am being gentel of coarse).

I should add that I feel like a bad kitty mom for letting it get this bad, but it's always so hard to know when to go to the vet. He's got about another week & 1/2 on the antibiotics. He's supposed to go back if it's not better, but I may call sooner if it's not showing any improvement. I just don't know how long it should take the Clavamox to work.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the warm compresses last night, he was not having it. I was afraid he wouldn't let me because he is not one to be held down or held still.
The good news is this morning it looked preety good, it wasn't any bigger than it was last night so I'm hoping that means we are making progress. With it opening up & today being the 7th day of Clavamox, I'm hoping that we have crosses a critical point and it will get better from here.

stumppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm jus curious about how your cats chin is doing. My cats chin almost looks the exact same. It isn't split, cracked or scratched open, just really swollen. If your cat is better, how did u do it?

Originally Posted by Rang_27

This is so embarassing, but here is the photo of his chin. It looks terrible. I feel bad for him because it must really hurt. You can probably see where it has opened up a couple of times today. His neck is wet because I was washing it the way the vet told me to. I'm hoping that the vet shaving it, and him being on antibiotics will take care of this soon. My poor baby!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Stumppy

I'm jus curious about how your cats chin is doing. My cats chin almost looks the exact same. It isn't split, cracked or scratched open, just really swollen. If your cat is better, how did u do it?
Rang_27 isn't online right now, but i know she took Jordan to the vet - the vet shaved the area & gave her oral antibiotics for him.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he went to the vet. His chin is doing MUCH better. He still has the occasional small acne, but nothing like that. Here's what the vet recommended Only metal or ceramic dishes, washed daily. Clean the chin with a gentle soap. I also did my best to do a warm moist compress. Take a cloth run it in hot water & hold it on the area that will help draw the infection up towards the top. His ended up opening up one night while I was washing it. If your cats chin it that bad I recommend a vet visit. What you see there is an infection & that needs antibiotics to heal. You also don't want to run the risk of your cat becoming septic. I hope that helps & I hope your kitties chin gets better fast!