Baby squirrels and birds - cuteness warning!!!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today was my second day volunteering at Wildlife Rescue, and I got some pics today.

How cute are these guys?!?!

Tiny babies

This guy's enjoying his food!

Awwwww -- look at the back feet splayed out!

Lying in my hand

Boy she has a full belly

This little bird was freezing cold, had been caught by a cat, and was too young, so had to be euthanised

Baby killdeer, looking perky after being fed Pedialyte every 15 minutes and kept warm in an incubator

And an older squirrel - about 7 weeks old

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen baby squirrels before but haven't ever fed one. Our local animal welfare officers rescued some and were feeding the babies when I went in on a courtesy visit. They had been abandonned by their mom inside a BBQ grill.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Baby killdeer, looking perky after being fed Pedialyte every 15 minutes and kept warm in an incubator

Ha, look at those legs! Looks like a teenager that hasn't grown into its body yet.

You must be having so much fun there! I'm envious.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww they are all so beautiful, especially those little bitty baby squirrels

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwwwww! Thank you so much for posting those, they brought back some wonderful memories of the baby squirrel I helped care for as well as the baby birds that I nursed back to health several years ago.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The 7 week old squirrel is adorable
They all are.

What happens to the animals once they're no longer in need of bottle feeding, etc?

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG I am sooo jealous!
I have wanted to work at a wild life rehab since I was little.
I raised a baby sparrow that had fallen out of its nest outside my moms work once. It was only a couple days old at the most. I also tried to hand raise some wild baby rabbits once but they died after a couple weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

The 7 week old squirrel is adorable
They all are.

What happens to the animals once they're no longer in need of bottle feeding, etc?
The squirrels start off in incubator type things so they're kept warm, when they get to about 5 weeks, they go into bigger cages where they start to climb and eat solid foods, then about 9 weeks they go into a big outdoor cage where they learn to be independent. Once they're ready (I don't know how long it takes and what the requirements are), they are released back into the wild.

Details are taken of where the animal is found, and they try to release it back into the same area.

2 hummingbirds were released last week. The person who brought in the little killdeer said she thinks the mother is in the area she found the baby, so I believe today they're going to try and put him back with his mum. If she doesn't accept him, I guess they'll catch him again, raise him and release him once he's big enough.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are ALL SOOOOOO cute!!!!!
JEALOUS JEALOUS JEALOUS!!!

That older squirrel has THE cutest look on it's face!