long haired kitty help!

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i collected my new kitty yesterday. her fur's in a pretty bad way, she has some huge knott's in it. i've never had a long haired kitty before, & was wondering what i can do about it? will the knott's need cutting off, as they are pretty huge?

also, i bought her home in her carrier, & she had a slight accident in there. i tried to wash most of the urine off, but she was struggling alot so i didn't want to upset her anymore. will she wash the rest off herself?

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please don't try to cut the mats out yourself. Try using a seam ripper and gently pick away at them. Better yet, take her to a professional groomer or your vet and have her shaved and bathed. She will feel better, be more comfortable and will thank you with head butts and purrs! When I was rescuing Persians, I always took a new, scared cat to another groomer first time so that it wasn't me that was associated with that first shave/bath. It seemed to work well. After that, you can start grooming her yourself to prevent future knots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Please don't try to cut the mats out yourself. Try using a seam ripper and gently pick away at them. Better yet, take her to a professional groomer or your vet and have her shaved and bathed. She will feel better, be more comfortable and will thank you with head butts and purrs! When I was rescuing Persians, I always took a new, scared cat to another groomer first time so that it wasn't me that was associated with that first shave/bath. It seemed to work well. After that, you can start grooming her yourself to prevent future knots.
thank's for that, it's very useful!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will probably wash herself, but it would be better if you could do it for her.

As far as the knots, if they are close to the skin, you may need a groomer to get them out. If further away, then you can either try to get them out or just cut them out for now (fur will grow back).

Get yourself a medium toothed and fine toothed comb and start a grooming routine. The goal is to be combing (NOT brushing) the cat every day or every other day depending on how quickly the fur gets tangled.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xlaydeextaniax

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

She will probably wash herself, but it would be better if you could do it for her.

As far as the knots, if they are close to the skin, you may need a groomer to get them out. If further away, then you can either try to get them out or just cut them out for now (fur will grow back).

Get yourself a medium toothed and fine toothed comb and start a grooming routine. The goal is to be combing (NOT brushing) the cat every day or every other day depending on how quickly the fur gets tangled.
thank's!