how much do groceries cost in your area?

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in Manhattan and just got back from the store where I paid $5.29 for a gallon of milk, $5.99 for a regular box of cereal, and $6.99 for a larger box.
Ridiculous!!!

I get so angry every time I go to the store. Makes me want to move to the country.....

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well in Manhattan you probably pay more for everything. My sis lives in Destin, FL and everything there is more expensive too

I bought Perdue boneless chicken breast today and I thought it was a lot of money it was over $8 a package, I could be wrong but I think it's gone up

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way too much here too. I went shopping a week or so ago, and my total grocery bill was $370.00. I got 10% off because it was the 1st Tuesday of the month. I paid $335.00. The only meat products I bought were two 2 pound packages of ground beef. Non grocery items that I bought were: hand soap, oven cleaner, sponges, rubber gloves, CLR, Distilled water for my CPAP machine, 2 bags of cat litter, and cat food. The groceries fit into 8 canvas grocery totes, plus the 2 bags of cat litter. One and a half of those bags was Lactaid milk, which costs $4.69 per 2 litres and one was the 2 gallons of distilled water. Total per bag was an average of $46.00.

I went again on Friday to buy some different cat food and tuna for Chynna. I ended up buying: 6 cans of Francy Feast, 6 cans of tuna, 1 box of popcorn, 6 oranges, 2 bottles of salad dressing, 3 bags of potato chips, 1 bag of marshmallows and a package of 7 chicken breasts ($22.00). I went home with 2 canvas totes for $88.00.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely more expensive on the East Coast. Heck, the sales prices just aren't here like they were in michigan. 10/$10 is rarely seen. In fact if I do see a 10/$10 deal, I go out an buy a lottery ticket that day because I feel REALLY lucky

So umm..yea, we're paying pretty close to what you're paying. Milk is $4.99, Eggs are $3.99 for a dozen large. Bread is $1.19 - $1.99 for the off brand.

Meat...OMG I don't even want to go there, but we pay $3.59/lb for Ground Beef 80% fat free. Pork is similar, chicken is like $4/lb...fish is basically the easiest to buy, unfortunately we're not big fish eaters.

In the end, I want to say that we spend around $500 per month for 2 of us...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Way too much! That and we have a 9.25% sales tax here so on top of the already high grocery prices- the taxes on them are insane

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Way too much! That and we have a 9.25% sales tax here so on top of the already high grocery prices- the taxes on them are insane
You pay tax on actual food products?

The only thing we pay tax on here are fast food items from the deli, and non grocery items such as cleaning supplies, pet supplies, toiletries etc. And if you buy less than 6 dinner rolls or pastries, you are taxed.

Our tax is 7% PST and 6% GST, so 13%.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Here in Ontario we don't pay tax on food luckily. Right now the vegetables and produce are a very high price, Meats and Dairy not to bad because they generally run weekly specials at the grocery I use. Breads, cereals and other dry good items again vary. I don't mind paying extra for seasonal items like veggie's in the winter but what really annoys me is when the prices get jack up in the summer when they should actually be decreasing simply because I live in a tourist area...

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming average. Ok..yesterday I bought a few items at the grocery storre: 1 qt of milk, a small tub of (real) butter, 1/2 gallon of soy milk, Thomas's english muffins, 2 ltr pepsi, carnation hazelnut coffee creamer===all came to $12.00.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We pay sales tax on everything here too.

Groceries arent' too bad compared to when we lived on the West Coast. But they are on the rise. There are certain things I always buy at Wal-Mart because of that. With food items they are usually the cheapest in town. Everything else you have to watch closely. (I check sale ads online on sundays)

Milk - 1/2 gallon of kemps select is $1.64
Silk Soy Milk 1/2 gallon- $2.53 at walmart last night. $4 at the other grocery stores.
and the other grocery stores are really stupid about coupons.
Fancy Feast - 74 cents each for FF Medleys (guys are bored with Friskies in Gravy this week) and they had the 2 for 1 packs of the Tuscan ones for 74 cents. I'm going back for more on Friday.

Tyson Chicken Tenderloins- big pack - was $6.98
It's been a few weeks since I bought a roaster chicken, but I think it was $6-$8 last time.

Cereal is $2.75 for a big box. That's captain crunch and lucky charms most recently.

Prices have been going up. We've been compensating by not renting movies from the rental store--just using netflix and watching movies on the HD channels of cable. We've been driving less, planning our trips, etc. So that we can still eat out a couple times a week if we want to.
Our eating out has been changed to "with a coupon" or less expensive places though.
I've also been trying to buy soda on sale, if I buy it. That stuff is expensive when it's not on sale!

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Food has gone way up! When we moved to Detroit two years ago we used to pay $5.99 for cheese, and the same cheese is now $8.99. It was also $7.99 for eggs at costco and now it's $9.99.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A gallon of milk here is $4.39 but it's pretty cheap because it is local from the island. Eggs are ~$5.00 a dozen (some are a little less, some a little more) for local eggs. We don't buy cereals.

Our grocery bill is $1500+ a month for two adults and a kid (doesn't include cat stuff). Crazy.

Gas here is $1.25 a litre which works out to about $4.73 a gallon.

I saw two elderly people the other day, shaking their heads and peering into their two bags of groceries saying, "What in the world did we buy that cost $79.00?" Must be tourists.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I spent $20 at the store this morning. And this is what I got.

1sm package of frozen broccoli florets 1.50
Laughing Cow Cheese (my oldest dd loves this for snacks, and I like it b/c it's pretty healthy) 3.69
Elbow macaroni 1.52
gallon of milk 3.79
sliced provolone cheese 3.99
shredded cheddar cheese 2.59
2 cans of cr chicken soup 1.39 each

The soup, cheddar cheese, elbow mac and broccoli are for a casserole I'm making tonight with leftover chicken we ate on Sunday.

I went shopping last Saturday for what I thought was the week, it was almost $100 ! It's really obnoxious how expensive food's getting- but what am I to do? The family has to eat, and I'm trying my hardest to get them to eat "good" stuff, and that stuff's more expensive than the junk

ronit

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here in Greece -

One gallon = 3.78 litres....
so here one litre of milk cost 1.25 euro
1.25 euro x 3.78 = 4.72 euro for one gallon
4.72 euro = 7.50 usd per gallon of milk!!

what can i say about the rest then.....

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sneakymom

The family has to eat, and I'm trying my hardest to get them to eat "good" stuff, and that stuff's more expensive than the junk
Yes it is. It's a crying shame that people with limited funds for food have to resort to junk type foods in order to feed themselves through the month. Eating healthy is not cheap!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Groceries are going up because of the gas prices. I live in the country and I think milk is 3.99 gallon here. I think I am going to buy a cow and some chickens and keep them in my back yard!
Seriously I can't because I live in town but I have been entertaining the Idea!

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

A gallon of milk here is $4.39 but it's pretty cheap because it is local from the island. Eggs are ~$5.00 a dozen (some are a little less, some a little more) for local eggs. We don't buy cereals.

Our grocery bill is $1500+ a month for two adults and a kid (doesn't include cat stuff). Crazy.

Gas here is $1.25 a litre which works out to about $4.73 a gallon.

I saw two elderly people the other day, shaking their heads and peering into their two bags of groceries saying, "What in the world did we buy that cost $79.00?" Must be tourists.
Wow, fuel hasn't gone up that much in Canada. About 10 years ago while vacationing in BC it was .89cents a litre.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its not so bad here really

There are a lot of 10/$10 deals too, which is nice!

Lets see...

5lb bag of potatoes - $1.99
Half gallon of OJ -$1.48
12 count eggs - $1.38
1lb butter - $1.77
Gallon of milk is about $3.50, or lower, I buy the 'off brand' & not Kemps.

Gas is $3.21 a gallon