The truth--Jack's story

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just over 5 months ago a friend found a kitten sitting on her porch--it was a cool October night so she brought him in. She herself has three cats--two former strays and a shelter kitty. She put the kitten in her bathroom and soon found he had fleas and worms. She spoke with her husband and they decided they were at their pet limit and keeping this little fuzz ball was out of the question.

The friend called me and told me about the little guy and although I had never had a cat, I had been wanting something fuzzy to love. I was married in July and found living out of my parents home for the first time very hard--one big reason was leaving behind the family dog who I had a special relationship with. Due to our living arrangements it was not possible to have a dog--I didn't want a dog to live in a small apartment without the ability to run in a yard and enjoy it. Both hubby and I grew up in dog households and had never considered a cat until the day I got the call--October 30.

On Halloween night hubby and I went to see this kitten and we both fell in love. We took him home that night. My friend didn't know where he came from, she feeds a few strays but hadn't seen any other kittens.

So for 5 months we have been left wondering who would leave this precious baby without a home? The precious baby who is now our pride and joy.

On Sunday we found out who that person is. They live just two doors up from my friend who found the kitten. They have 15 cats, none of which are spayed and neutered. They free roam and always are having kittens. The lady recalled our baby and admitted to allowing him to roam the streets at only 12 weeks old. She was however happy to hear he was in a loving forever.

The sad part is, she admitted the last two litters of kittens born have had some serious issues--being born with their insides out and other defects. The cause--likely incest.

Hearing all this made me hug and love on Jack a little longer the last few days, make a few more promises to him and feel blessed he found his way to my friends door. The alternatives would not have been good.

*side note* My friend called Animal Control, who directed her to the dog warden. He could only offer one bit of advice. He said as soon as they are on your property you have the right to do whatever you deem necessary. My friend is already making plans to trap a specific female and rehome her and hopefully from there we'll be trapping more and rehoming. All the "strays" my friend had been feeding aren't strays they are the neighbors cats.

In the end, I am not sure if I'm happy to know the truth or not. Either way I am blessed to have Jack--he has changed the whole dynamic of our house, we couldn't imagine it without him.

Leslie

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a beautiful outcome for Jack
And I'm sending vibes that those other neighborhood cats are "TNR'ed"

Thank you for sharing your (and their) stories

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Jack is truly very lucky.

Originally Posted by Jack31

The sad part is, she admitted the last two litters of kittens born have had some serious issues--being born with their insides out and other defects. The cause--likely incest.
Leslie
Disease and improper care more like it. Poor cats! Hope they all get fixed! You and your friend are doing good work.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
jack is a very lucky boy to have found a forever home with you, i just hope that the others get a chance to have that security some day too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless you and your friend... I don't know what's wrong with some people. How can they not see the misery they're causing?

Please give Jack a special hug from me!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bless your hearts for taking Jack into your home
Thank you for sharing that story

katie=^..^=

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Such a beautiful outcome for Jack
And I'm sending vibes that those other neighborhood cats are "TNR'ed"

Thank you for sharing your (and their) stories
Isn't it wonderful to have a little stray kitten come into your home and enrich your lives with its warm fuzziness? You also know you save a life.

I'm sorry about your neighbor, but now that you and your friend know you can take action to save many more lives.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys!

Knowing all this stuff now makes the startup vet costs for a stray seem like pocket change.

I must admit when I came home and found toilet paper all over the house I had to pause, think a second and couldn't find it in me to be mad. He can toilet paper every last inch--at least I know he's having a good time.

Leslie

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They really do have a way of moving quickly into your heart, don't they?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness for you and your friend. Maybe now the cats have a chance at a normal life healthy life.

People like the neighbor make me angry. It is bad enough that we have poor ferals living such rough lives but to actually own the cats is maddening.
We have a responsibility to them to learn about responsible ownership.

I was new to having cats too but when I saw her at the humane society I knew she was the one for me. She has made my life so much richer and turned me into a cat lady for life. They get into your hearts and make the everything so much more fun.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks again for all the sweet comments.

The funny thing is, hubby and I said one cat that's it--but we are already discussing a second. We are hoping a slightly older cat chooses us for parents, just like Jack did.

Leslie