I Think I May Have To Find Another Vet..:(

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really upset by this, b/c I really like my vet, and I thought he was a cool guy & respectable person. But now I'm not so sure..

To make a long story as short as possible, my vet fired one of his office girls, and is trying to get out of paying her unemployment benefits. I found this out when she contacted my s/o at work, and he relayed her message to me. My vet claimed that I and a few other of his customers stated that the office girl was rude to us, and he's using that as a partial "excuse" to deny her benefits (that's only part of what he's claiming as to why he fired her). The office girl wanted me to write up a statement stating that I never said that she was ever rude to me - which I did, b/c it's not true - so she could prove her case. I think there's something rotten going on: not just b/c of what she told me - but also b/c of other things I've heard recently regarding my vet..

This entire incident really upsets me: not only b/c of his false allegations against me saying something which wasn't true, but also b/c of what he's doing to the girl. It also upsets me b/c I trusted him, and I NEVER thought he'd be that type of person.
And he WAS a good vet - or at least I thought so. Now I'm not so sure.

If your vet did something like this, would you find another one?? It's not as easy as it sounds in this area.
We may have to find a vet that's 40 or more miles away from us. And we also would need to find one who's willing or able to provide the Interferon that Geronimo & Winchester HAVE to have in order to stay alive & healthy. I'm not sure if there is another vet in the area who can get the stuff..
Another problem is being able to find a vet who allows a payment plan: most vets won't, and we usually can't afford to pay everything all at once. My vet let us make payments, and it was our saving grace on more than one occasion..

I'm really shaken by this, and I don't know what to do..
It's a real kick in the butt when you find out that someone you trusted - especilly when it comes to your furbabies' health & welfare - turns out to be not such a nice person after all..

~KK~

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... makes me suspicious about what's REALLY going on there... maybe something between the two of them and he's punishing her. Nothing surprises me anymore.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you were brought into to then I would find another vet. If it was solely between the vet and the office girl I would say it doesn't concern you and stay there. But the vet shouldn't bring you into the ordeal. That isn't right especially if you never did say anything bad about this girl, that is not right.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

Hmmm... makes me suspicious about what's REALLY going on there... maybe something between the two of them and he's punishing her. Nothing surprises me anymore.
My thoughts exactly. And it's hard to know for sure who's really at fault, since everything is coming to you second-hand. I think I'd call the vet and say, "This girl requested a letter, and I did write one for her -- but after thinking it over, I felt I should ask you about the situation. Is it true that you used me as one of your reasons for letting her go?"

Even if he refuses to discuss it for legal reasons, you'll probably be able to tell a lot about his character by how he responds.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd have to wonder, too, whether having supported the girl rather than him would have an effect on his future treatment of you and your kitties. It certainly seems as if he was expecting you to support his claim, or at least not to support her. Not saying for a minute that you should have played that any differently -- but if a judgement goes against him because of it, he might be resentful. Also, not suggesting that he would actively retaliate, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cooperation you're accustomed to might disappear. Just some thoughts.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

... if a judgement goes against him because of it, he might be resentful. Also, not suggesting that he would actively retaliate, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cooperation you're accustomed to might disappear. Just some thoughts.
i'd probably start looking, if it were me... of course, i'm picky - i have one place i go for spay/neuter & vax, & a different one if they're actually ill.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I second the advice to get the whole story before making a decision, but I hear your concerns about the interferon. If your current vet writes a prescription for it, then any pharmacy should be able to provide it to you. Depending on the type you use for your cat, it normally isn't an experimental drug, but it might be extremely costly to go that route. I don't know how you were obtaining it before, but it can be had with a script from any vet.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My thoughts exactly. And it's hard to know for sure who's really at fault, since everything is coming to you second-hand. I think I'd call the vet and say, "This girl requested a letter, and I did write one for her -- but after thinking it over, I felt I should ask you about the situation. Is it true that you used me as one of your reasons for letting her go?"

Even if he refuses to discuss it for legal reasons, you'll probably be able to tell a lot about his character by how he responds.
Ditto that!

I would also like to add that someone's personal morals doesn't necessarily reflect on their ability to do their job. So if he's a good vet, despite his personal morals towards his staff, then you should continue to go, especially given the fact that there are no other local vets in your area. However, I do suggest calling him and talking to him.

It's always better to get both sides of the story instead of just one. Maybe he had a reason to let her go. Or maybe they have a personal issue between them such as an affair that went stale.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would take a guess at an affair that's gone sour, so one of them has to go. Seeing as he is the superior in the workplace, she's the one to get the boot. BUT, regardless of what's going on behind closed doors, as a customer, I would be absolutely LIVID to have been brought into this case under false allegations. I would certainly be going to give the guy what for and a good ear bashing!
Find a new vet and tell the old one why.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I think you need to get the whole story before you decide what to do.
I would have to agree with this. I have always found the things are not always what they appear to be..If you have used this vet for a long time, he is good with your animals and you have never had issue's with him before why not ask for his side of the story as well...What could it hurt..

ooomisseooo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless I was a close personal friend to the office lady...I would stay put. The main concern here should be the care for the animal. If this vet has been of great care your pet don't change.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I should have pointed out that part of my reason for suggesting you discuss it with him is that he presumably knows that you wrote the letter for the girl -- so unless you and he talk about it and come to some agreement, he could harbor resentment and, as others have suggested, that could affect how he cares for your animals.

It's hard to imagine someone taking it out on an innocent pet, but the slightest chance is too much, y'know?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess I should have pointed out that part of my reason for suggesting you discuss it with him is that he presumably knows that you wrote the letter for the girl -- so unless you and he talk about it and come to some agreement, he could harbor resentment and, as others have suggested, that could affect how he cares for your animals.

It's hard to imagine someone taking it out on an innocent pet, but the slightest chance is too much, y'know?
& it might not even be intentional - if he does harbor resentment, & does his best to overcome it... but fails? he might not even realize that he isn't doing his best for your cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

But the vet shouldn't bring you into the ordeal. That isn't right especially if you never did say anything bad about this girl, that is not right.
That's what I'm thinking: why DID he involve me in it??
Does he need an "alibi" or something?

~KK~

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Ditto that!

I would also like to add that someone's personal morals doesn't necessarily reflect on their ability to do their job. So if he's a good vet, despite his personal morals towards his staff, then you should continue to go, especially given the fact that there are no other local vets in your area. However, I do suggest calling him and talking to him.

It's always better to get both sides of the story instead of just one. Maybe he had a reason to let her go. Or maybe they have a personal issue between them such as an affair that went stale.
Ditto all of that. I know I can't get interferon from my vet and if it comes to the point that Stumpy needs it, his health comes before any personal feelings I have for my vet (good or bad). I'd call him and ask point blank what is going on.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I'd call the vet and say, "This girl requested a letter, and I did write one for her -- but after thinking it over, I felt I should ask you about the situation. Is it true that you used me as one of your reasons for letting her go?"
I actually was thinking about calling him, but before I got around to it, I got a call from his wife this morning. She asked me if the office girl had contacted me, and I told her yes; I also told her that I wrote out a statement for the girl, and the vet's wife got all p-o'd and asked me WHY I did it. She actually hung up on me when I tried explaining just why I did do it.

The fact that the vet's wife re-acted the way she did indicates to me that something IS indeed going on. Why did she get so defensive and hang up like she did??
When I called her back to discuss the matter (thinking that maybe we just got disconnected) she said she hung up b/c she "felt faint", and then proceeded to say she couldn't talk b/c it was so busy, and hung up on me again!

From what I can gather, the office girl doesn't indicate to me in any way that SHE'S the one who has anything to "hide". But the reaction of the vet's wife seems kinda suspicious to me..

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I'd have to wonder, too, whether having supported the girl rather than him would have an effect on his future treatment of you and your kitties. It certainly seems as if he was expecting you to support his claim, or at least not to support her. Not saying for a minute that you should have played that any differently -- but if a judgement goes against him because of it, he might be resentful. Also, not suggesting that he would actively retaliate, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of the cooperation you're accustomed to might disappear. Just some thoughts.
My thoughts exactly.
I don't know if he'd retaliate or not b/c I'm not "defending" him, but after the re-action I got from his wife, I really do wonder now.

I apologize to y'all for having to respond to your posts one at a time.
But I can't copy & paste by highlighting using this WebTV: nor can I multi-quote..

~KK~

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmmm.... angry wife... hmmmmm.... does the wife work in the business/office? Otherwise, why whould she call you? Do you know her personally? Why is she mixed in this?

Sounds like a love tryst gone sour - Vet/ vet tech/ po'd wife who doesn't want you defending the girl.

None of them should have put the customer in the middle. Bad, bad, bad....

Try talking to HIM. He also doesn't want his reputation ruined under any circumstances, so from that standpoint, he shouldn't want to tick you off.