How much longer???

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its 4 weeks today since i took pooh bear to be spayed and found out she is pregnant,shes doing really well eating lots shes still really playfull is this normal? she is running round like mad i have given up trying to wrap her in cotton wool!!.Anyway the vet placed her at 3-4 weeks so she is either 8 or 7 weeks,her nipples have become noticibly bigger and the fur is parting round them,and i have been able to feel the kittens move for just over a week now.She dosent look that huge but you can see she is deffinatly pregnant.She has also got real clingy to me and has become my shadow,any advice on what to look out for?.She is also drinking lots of water is this normal?.I have a few bits for when she has them and have got kitten milk and bottles just in case is there anything in paticular i should have?.Sorry to ask so many questions feel like im loosing the plot here!!! have not slept properly for ages!!!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most mothers have the kittens and nurse them just fine. I had everything ready my first 2 litters - after that I was not so panicky (breeding rexes).

Cats normally will have the kittens from 63-68 days so she probably has about 2 weeks left. I would start confining her to one room when you are not there and set up a kitten box (large/roomy) with soft towels in a quiet place in the room. When you get closer to the due date, have 2 pillowcases ready. One will have newspaper in it to absorb the blood, etc. The other will have one or two soft towels. After she has the kittens and all are born you can switch pillowcases. The kittens tiny claws will not catch on the pillowcase but would on towels or blankets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your quick answer!! I have a box ready for her and have been trying to confine her to my bedroom unfortunatly we have a dog and 2 other cats,the cats are not a problem but she is very attached to my dog and has been getting real stressed when i seperate them fortunatly im at home most of the time and im hoping she wont mind being seperated closer to the time,iv only had one experiance of this before and it was a disaster my persian cat had kittens and i was told not to interfere and leave her alone or she would reject the kittens,so i did unfortunatly when i checked in the morning(i thought everthing was fine as i peeked in the box and could hear kittens crying)my cat had not eaten all the afterbirth and somehow it all got wrapped around the kittens there were 7 kittens and they were all joined together we had to take them all to the vets and he had to seperate them,we lost 3 of them,i guess thats why im so panicky!! Thanks again for your advice

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was right there to supervise the births and count the placentas

And also don't be afraid to handle the kittens from day one. My one queen didn't cut cords so I would take the kittens when born, tie off the cord and cut it and open the kitten's mouth and clear it - then hand them back to mom and she would finish cleaning them off.

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep i am determined to be there!! i shall just be glad when shes had them and mum and babies are doing well,i also have camera charged and waiting!!,just hope my nerves will hold out!Pooh bear (knew i would regret that name lol) on the other hand is the happiest and friendliest i have ever known her and seems really contented

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hey tracey im no help when it comes too this, but curious as too whether you have homes lined up for kittens?
i may be interested?

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep just stand by and watch and make sure everything goes smoothly. Handle kittens from day one. My kittens were handled every day from day one and they are now the sweetest most socialized 4 week olds ever. They come running when they see me and climb up in my lap.

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

hey tracey im no help when it comes too this, but curious as too whether you have homes lined up for kittens?
i may be interested?
Hi well im not sure how many she is having,but i have homes for 4 of them my parents are having 1 we are keeping 1 nextdoor nieghbour is having 1 and a close friend is having 1,but i will be sure to let you know when they make their apperance!

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep stand by and pace the floor and get few gray hairs i expect lol,its nice to know its ok to handle them from day 1 (mind you i have been talking to them via poohs belly allready ,oh god i really am loosing it!!)Its lovely to feel them moving

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by X~tracey~X

... (mind you i have been talking to them via poohs belly allready ,oh god i really am loosing it!!) ...
*grin* This made me smile. I used to do the same thing with Lexus and her babies - she would waddle around for a while and then jump up onto my lap just in time for me to catch those wee ones in there doing the mambo or some other Latin dance with lots of shaking and shimmying around going on ... So I would bend down and put my mouth right next to her belly and talk into her to them ... "You people knock it off in there!!!!" Heh heh

x~tracey~x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
im glad im not the only one!!! Im really supprised by how fussy she has got,normally if i was to put my face anywhere near her belly id get claws in my face!!!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lindsey88

Yep just stand by and watch and make sure everything goes smoothly. Handle kittens from day one. My kittens were handled every day from day one and they are now the sweetest most socialized 4 week olds ever. They come running when they see me and climb up in my lap.
Ditto. Rags's kittens really love to play with me and I have been handling them around once or twice a day since day 1.