Have you ever met someone who drives you nuts?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I try very hard to be an open, accepting, loving person. The problem is there is a guy at work that makes me nuts! It is not anything serious, he is just annoying. If I had to guess I would guess he has adult ADHD. He comments on everything, has to touch everything and everyone around him, constantly talks and sings, and talks about his "home business" non stop. I did not used to spend much time around him, but he has moved into the cubicle next to me. So now everyday I just want to scream, SHUT UP, WILL YOU JUST SHUT UP FOR 5 SECONDS. It is terrible I know, but he gets under my skin. Please tell me someone else gets annoyed like this!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

I try very hard to be an open, accepting, loving person. The problem is there is a guy at work that makes me nuts! It is not anything serious, he is just annoying. If I had to guess I would guess he has adult ADHD. He comments on everything, has to touch everything and everyone around him, constantly talks and sings, and talks about his "home business" non stop. I did not used to spend much time around him, but he has moved into the cubicle next to me. So now everyday I just want to scream, SHUT UP, WILL YOU JUST SHUT UP FOR 5 SECONDS. It is terrible I know, but he gets under my skin. Please tell me someone else gets annoyed like this!
I know exactly how you feel! Maybe you can talk to your boss about possibly moving cubicles?
Either that or is it possible for you wear earbuds or something at work with some relaxing music playing? Or even just in one ear just to drone him out a little

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Welcome to my office.

My advice: buy and I-Pod.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could give you a list of people who drive me nuts, and I'm a pretty tolerant person.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep.

MOST people annoy the heck out of me, for a variety of reasons.

I used to have a favorite keychain that said: I'm surrounded by idiots.

Boy, I was bummed out when that thing broke.

But for xmas this year I was gifted with a nice big mug that says: I see dumb people.

It's my new favorite.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a strong dislike for the general population. Morons reproduce the fastest!!

There's one lady who donates a lot to the humane society, drives me straight up the crazy wall. She's annoying, chatty, never listens (don't touch that cat & she does, don't let that dog out of the kennel & she does, that room is off limits & she goes in there), & ugh you can never get her to go away! Seriously, I've told her she has to leave & she doesn't. She gets upset if it's open hours & I answer the phone while she's yapping in my ears. Gets upset if I clean cages of cats while she's talking to me.

She's like the plague, she just won't go away!

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a guy I work with that never shuts up. He is a cashier and all he does is talk. A lot of customers wont go to him because they know it takes forever to get away. About 90% of his sentences start with "I was gonna say...." He really drives everyone nuts. Some employees wont even go on a cash thats near his.

Plus the town where I work has the most annoying people I have ever met. Some days I just can't stand to go there even to get groceries and will go to a different city.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I worked with someone who drove me absolutely insane!! Nothing but whine, whine, whine..... mind you, that hotel did horrible things to people

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't like to be that way and considering I'm working on my Masters in a people focused industry I really need to learn how to deal with people like him.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work with two people who drive me crazy, and am lucky enough to have another one in two classes in a row.

One says completely inappropriate things with regularity. Like, he saw me shelving a Cosmo and asked "Oh, is that where you get your sex tips from?". It was a real question, he wanted me to answer him! He also stands really close to you and just comes up and babbles questions while you're trying to work. Worse, he thinks we're friends. The managers don't even like him.

The second is just a bad person. She acts like she's in 7th grade, is hostile, stuck-up, etc. She gave me the silent treatment for four months (and we work together!) and then one day just suddenly screamed "Why are you so mean to me!". In short, she's nutters. She complains about me all the time to our managers... but it's pretty obvious none of them listen, or I'd have been fired by now. So she just makes herself look bad.

The third disagrees with everything I say, as soon as I open my mouth. She thinks she's right because she got her undergrad at an ivy league school and is in the PhD program, and I'm a graduating senior so of course she with her two quarters more schooling knows more than I do about any topic ever. Apparently she has a reputation for doing this to a lot of people.

In all three cases, the majority of the people who know them feel the same way. Some people just have repellent personalities, or are very unpleasant people.

Do you think you could request that you move away from him? Or him away from you? I'd hate to have a miserable time at work just because I had to sit next to someone so awful.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I married him.
J/K although there are some days he drives me nuts but I suppose I probably drive him nuts too.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am fortunate to work with a wide variety of people. As it turns out the ones who make me nuts are the ones I like the best. ( after much self reflection, I might add)

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God, you are soooo not alone

Where I work there are alot of people like that as the residents have mental health issues and/or learning diffs. I might just add I am NOT a carer, just painter/decorator. Let`s just say, there are a few people who through no fault of their own drive me nuts and I do have to leave the room sometimes to avoid saying something I know I`ll regret.

Having said that, some of the care staff are just as bad and I DO tell them what I think, if a somewhat modified version
They just laugh though

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a very tolerant person. You have to go to extremes to really annoy me -- spit all over me while talking, drench yourself in intolerable aftershave, grab my sleeve and clean your glasses on it (yes, unbelievably, a guy did that to me once).

But there is one characteristic I find so repugnant that it takes only one whiff to send me running, and that is: Being Absolutely Sure Of Everything.

I'm not talking about the Cliff Clavins of the world, who just get a kick out of sharing their boundless stores of trivial information. (Heck, I'm guilty of that myself.
)

No, I'm talking about people who will take a stand and, no matter what evidence is laid before them, absolutely refuse to budge from that position. Usually, it's over something so inconsequential that you feel foolish bothering to correct the point.

You can say in passing, "I picked up a hex wrench at Walgreen's to fix my bike," and this person will say, "No, you didn't. Walgreen's doesn't carry those." "Um... well, I guess I got lucky, they had one today." "Nope. Don't know what you got, but it wasn't a hex."

Or you might say, "I used to work in the Myers Building, back when Marshall Myers still owned it," and this person will say, "He still owns it." "Well, no, he sold it to the city while I was working there -- I notarized the documents." "It's been in the Myers family for a hundred years, they'll never sell."

AAAAUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!! All I can figure is that these people are desperate to feel they've somehow "won" something... so they pick these petty, pointless disagreements and just wear you down until you give up... and that allows them to feel superior, I guess.

I used to actually try to communicate with people like that, which is useless, of course. Now I've learned that the only thing to do is smile and walk away. If they need it that badly... let 'em have it.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning Christy and I were sitting in the lounge on our break. Another gal, Phyllis, was eating her beakfast...chewing with her mouth open and smacking and slurping. It was positively disgusting! Christy was starting to gag, and stared at her as if she had just sprouted another (noisy) head! I finally just said, "Phyllis! Eat with your mouth closed!" Gah...people are just nauseating sometimes!

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why do you assume he has ADHD? He really doesn't sound like it from what your describing, although he does sound quite annoying. Please don't be so quick to judge someone as having ADHD, people struggle a lot with this illness and don't appreciate the negative stereo-types.

But, to answer your question, yes quite a few people get on my nerves. Especially people that are so quick to label people with a mental illlness just because they feel their difficult to get along with. I wonder about people that "judge" other people without knowing their whole story.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Yes, I married him.
J/K although there are some days he drives me nuts but I suppose I probably drive him nuts too.
most definitely my feelings! But then, I suppose after so many years of marriage, we both know which buttons to push to drive the other one nuts.....question being...WHY do we still push them?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems I'm a nut-magnet. I've realized that I'm just too nice of a person on the surface, even if I'm ready to pelt them in the face.

My rules with people are:

1) I can't stand the people that don't understand the concept of "No". If you can't accept no, then find someone else to badger.

2) If you call me more than twice in a day and don't leave voicemails I will not return your call

3) I don't care if you were late because your mom called you to tell you about her next door neighbor. Suck it up, you were late. Also I don't care about every traffic jam you hit. We live in a city, there are lots of people, get over it.

4) I will treat you the same way you treat me. If you treat me like scum, we will be scum together. Except if you decide to ignore me and we're on a team. I'll pretend you're not ignoring me.

5) That's fantastic that you are sooooo certain you are right and you need to rub it in my face. Get over yourself.

6) Don't argue with me because I asked a question. If you present a list of optional answers that I can chose from that already answers my question, then I'll deem you smart.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a girl at work like that and she drives me nuts. She is always whinning about her boyfriend who doesn't want her. And she talks WAY too loud and she does not even try to do her job right. They will find people that she doesn't check all day and she does stupid stuff like locking wheels on people that can't undo them theirselves, wheel chair locks that is, and I have told her that those are restraints and that you can't do that and she does it anyway. She even faces people toward walls and locks their wheels. She is always on her phone she even answered it once while we were changing someone and she was supposed to be holding someone over. She will take 2 hour lunch breaks and she is just flat out stupid.