due anyday now

s0ni

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think My girl isdue her litter anyday now,My cat had mated with boy cat on the 3rd of feb....im estimating she will have between 3 and 5 kittens, this will be her 2nd litter.As soon as they arrive i will post pix on so that they can be seen. im sooo exitedd......

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope that you will get her spayed after this litter. And please keep them for a minimum of 10-12 weeks before finding homes. They need cat socialization and behavior time with mom/siblings to be well-adjusted when leaving.

The ideal and responsible thing to do is spay/neuter the kittens too

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the kits, but have you thought about getting her spayed after this litter is weaned? it is alot healthier for her to be spayed. if you let her breed too much there are health risks as well. plus kittens are sometimes hard to find homes for... just letting you know.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats but PLEASE spay her after this litter! There are a bazillion unwanted cats and kittens being killed every day, no need to bring more into the world.

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, if we keep spaying cats like this, we're going to kill off the species someday.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haha i thought that.......
kittens are on high demand in wrexham an they go for absolute insane prices

none in rescue centres :eek:

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

You know, if we keep spaying cats like this, we're going to kill off the species someday.
I highly doubt this...over 100 KITTENS were put to sleep last year at my local shelter.

theallis5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I guess it all depends on where you are located! Too bad we can't ship the unwanted ones from one place to somewhere that they're in demand.

Uh, why can't we, exactly?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theallis5

Wow! I guess it all depends on where you are located! Too bad we can't ship the unwanted ones from one place to somewhere that they're in demand.

Uh, why can't we, exactly?
I did a search on Petfinder, and found lots of available young kittens in Buffalo. And that was excluding the adult or senior cats. It seems the are a couple rescue places in your area, The City Animal Shelter, Buffalo Humane Society and Hope for Cats.

You know, when I joined this list 3 years ago, I had no idea there was a need for fostering pregnant cats, but now that I volunteer for our local no-kill... it is the most rewarding thing. From late winter to late fall... there are always kittens in need! I checked out your Hope for Cats... you can volunteer for their no-cage shelter right online! When I signed up to be a foster mom for our shelter, the initial process was as simple as sending an email.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

haha i thought that.......
kittens are on high demand in wrexham an they go for absolute insane prices

none in rescue centres :eek:
I found 7 animal shelters in Wales during a brief search online, one in your particular area.

North Clwyd Animal Resue

They state that they care for "in excess of 1000 animals each year", mainly dogs, cats and rabbits.

Directly from their webpage
On the cat side, we have managed to home a lot of the adult cats that have been with us for a long time, but no doubt as soon as the kitten season starts, we will be full again. We have in fact just taken in our first litter this year, a mum and her 2 day old babies.
They are also looking for volunteers and foster parents on their website. Just send them an email!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

what do you do when you foster a pregnant female. Do you go to you spca shelter?
I'm sure it varies from place to place, but in our case all I had to do was send them an email telling them I was interesting in volunteering, and prove that my resident cats didnt have any communicable diseases. Easy as that. I volunteer for our no-kill shelter, they provide us with their food and litter, send the moms in their own cage, and offer support and vet care if needed.

It is very rewarding... a downside (if you can consider it that) is that it is hard letting go! But the next litter is always just around the corner! Plus, just think, you always have the pick of the litter

Shelters prefer to send their pregnant cats/newborn kittens outside of the shelters so not to expose the newborns to any diseases in the shelter. A lot of people dont realize how great this need actually is. Last year, and already this year, I got a call asking for me to foster another litter... even though I already have one foster... I'm not brave enough to foster 2 at the same time yet. I have of a challenge maintaining the peace between the fosters and my resident cats

lostmary

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info. I'll check them out. I did have one more quick question, how long do you keep them for? I have a room in the back of the house that I had Gray Cat in when I thought she was expecting. It is all set up.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lostmary

Thank you for the info. I'll check them out. I did have one more quick question, how long do you keep them for? I have a room in the back of the house that I had Gray Cat in when I thought she was expecting. It is all set up.
It always depends... sometimes we dont get the fosters until the kittens are born, and sometimes we get the moms weeks before they are due. After the kittens are born, I keep them anywhere from 6-12 weeks... depending on the case. Once they are old enough for shots, their need for fostering lessens, although it is beneficial to be somewhere stress-free.

Plus there is the added socialization (other cats, dogs and kids) fostering affords them.

Our shelter sets up the adoptions, so this is something I never have to worry about, although I have referred a lot of my friends and family over the years.

Depending on the cat, most of the time, when they come in, they want _nothing_ to do with your resident cats... but I have found most warm up to them before their stay is over. Remember they are extra protective because of their babies. It's nice that you have a separate area you can set up. And the bonus to fostering from the shelter is you know they have already been checked over for disease and given flea treatment, so your risk there is reduced as opposed to just bringing in a stray off the street. Plus they offer assistance should the mom or babies need medical attention!

Good luck!

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Abstract

I'm sure that there will always be responsible breeders.