Wow, Pretty Nervy

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We live on the main floor of a house that has another apartment. There is a university student living in the apartment this year. I just saw her drive up on her bike and throw her backpack on the pavement. I immediately focused on the backpack, because it looked exactly like mine!

I had it stored in the basement, where we have a shared laundry, and went down and looked and it's gone! She's left again. The cheap backpacks are still there, she took mine which is the nice one. I want my backpack back.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! Some people are just downright rude and nasty. I don't understand how someone can take something doesn't belong to them! I hope you can figure out a way to get your backpack back or at least to talk to her about.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
sharing common space with people is SO irritating! I would confront her about it if you see her again. (but then again, I'm young and and ballsy LOL).

I had this medieval-looking lock for my gym locker and once left it in the locker room w/ the key in it. >_< obviously, no one turned it into the lost and found. However, a couple months later I happened to notice it on one of the lockers, (it was very distinctive). It came with two keys and I carried them both w/ me (one in my gym bag and one that USED to be in my school bag). So, I tried the key on the lock and it worked! I took my lock and left a note on the locker saying "next time you find something that's not yours, please turn it into the lost and found. It's a good thing that I had a spare key!"
Unfortunately, I couldn't take it back to the gym b/c well..you know... So I gave it to a friend for her birthday. But gosh, it sure felt good to leave that note!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree about talking to her. Don't make accusations. Just say something along the lines of "I went to the basement to get my backpack and it wasn't there. I noticed today that you have been using it." Then politely ask for it back because you need it.

Maybe she isn't aware that the items in the basement are not "shared", just the space itself is. Explain to her that you each share the basement, but the items you each store are not for sharing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support and advice!

My husband saw her going into the laundry (basement) while he was bringing in the BBQ, and he told her I was looking for my backpack and he described it to her. She told him that she hadn't seen anything like that but would check her stuff to make sure.

I always thought she was pretty nice but now it looks like she's a liar and a thief! I'm really disappointed in her.

I'll confront her tomorrow and tell her I saw her using it and that I want it back! Six years and a dozen different people in that vacation rental and no one before has ever taken something of ours from the basement.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is pretty nervy! and to lie bold face to your husband about it!

I remember friends that had shared spaces with other apartments...often things were left in the shared space and became a free for all.

I'd look into a cage with a lock! Who knows what else she took!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she doesn't give it back, go buy a new one and put your name in it (last name) in permanent marker pen - then if she swipes that one, you can prove its yours.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just tell her straight up, I saw you with my backpack and see how she responds. LOL!
If you know, you know, and what is the worst that can happen? She will learn that isn't community stuff and will stop taking what isn't hers?

My sister has blamed me for taking her hat before, when I had one just like it. She didn't believe me until she got home (2 hours away) and saw hers sitting on her bed. That was fun.
But it sounds like that backpack belongs to you. Maybe she said she hasn't seen it since she was embarrassed. Maybe she plans to give it back soon with this new information? Either way, I would talk to her.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

My husband saw her going into the laundry (basement) while he was bringing in the BBQ, and he told her I was looking for my backpack and he described it to her. She told him that she hadn't seen anything like that but would check her stuff to make sure.
Maybe she was just pretty embarrassed, and didn't want to admit it? If it turns up straight away, she was just embarrassed, if it doesn't turn up, she's a liar and a thief, and then you can definitely confront her!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I went to confront her last night. She came to the door and I said, "I believe we have a weird coincidence going on here... as you know, I can't find my backpack but I saw you with one that looks just like mine. Do you mind if I have a look at your backpack just to squish any doubts I have..."

My backpack is a (khaki-army) green and black. Strangely, my husband's backpack and our daughter's are both with our luggage in the basement where we store them.

Her eyes got round and big and she said, "Just a minute" and was gone for a couple of minutes. She came back with a huge grey backpack - one of those kinds for hiking and camping that you can put a bedroll on.

She said, "I have so many packbacks; I went through them all and didn't see yours."

So I don't know if she has it or not and I don't know what we can do about it!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems she's lying about it - anyone can "check" - willing to bet its sitting in her house. I'd buy a new one and put a label on all the backpacks you own.

Any reason you guys can't keep the backpacks in your apartment????

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should confront her again and tell her about the time you saw her ride up on her bike and toss the backpack onto the ground. Let her know that you actually saw her with it.

Do you think the landlord would step in if you asked? What about the police? If she has it, or you suspect she has it, it would be considered stolen property. Do you have any pics that your backpack shows up in in the event the police (or landlord) are called in and they want proof?!

I hope you get your backpack from her!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I know it was my backpack. I've seen her with backpacks for months now and have never particularly noticed them, but this one was khaki-army green and had the same adjustable straps on the sides and caught my attention because it was exactly like mine.

The grey one didn't have any straps on the sides, btw.

I'm going to have to let it go because it's bugging me too much and I'm going to leave her to karma. But if I see her riding away with my backpack on her back, I'm going to throw a raw potato at her!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

But if I see her riding away with my backpack on her back, I'm going to throw a raw potato at her!
Well, I think it's safe to assume that she knows that you know she's got your backpack. You probably won't see her with it again. Who knows....maybe one day it will magically appear back in the basement again!