Should I do this?

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
alright. ive had Mittens for about a month now. ive noticed she is quite the lil piggy. she acts like she never eats. but she has dry food available to her all day, same as Monster. twice a day, they each get half of a 3oz. can of wet food (Monster will only eat Fancy Feast). so that equals out to a full can EACH everyday. every time they get the wet food, which is twice a day, they get fresh water. as soon as that plate hits the food, BOOM Mittens is scarfing it down. & its not like she is getting less than she was at her old house, my boss only gave her half a 3oz. can once a day, plus her dry food all day. when she moved here i just started her on the same eating times as Monster, i just couldnt only feed her wet food once a day when Monster gets it twice. sometimes i set hers down first. but if she is in the way of where im putting Monsters plate, ill pick her up just enough to move her back end over a lil bit & when i do that she growls at me. but anyway thats besides the point.

she always finishes before Monster does, & when she is finished hers, she will start eating off Monsters plate, & when she does that, Monster just stops eating. this morning, while they were eating, the same thing happened, but i walked in the kitchen, saw that, & picked Mittens up & moved her, & she growled, as usual. when i put her down she went back to Monsters plate, & i pushed her away. as i was putting Monster back down at his plate, she growled & meowed at the same time, & also put her paw down on the plate as if to say "MINE". i dont want to underfeed her, but Monster wont even eat a whole can at once when given the chance & he is way bigger than her. i dont feel like she is food deprived bc she always has dry food available. so ive decided that im going to start feeding Mittens in my bfs moms bedroom & closing the door. & then opening it when Monster is finished eating. is that what i should do? i just dont want her to get overweight & then have to struggle to get her to a normal weight. & i also dont want Monster to feel like he has to struggle to eat.

Another thing. is there anything i can do to discourage her eating so fast? she has never had to struggle for food. in my house, & in her previous owners house, she always had food available. plus i kno that eating so fast can trick your body into thinking your still hungry. what can i do about her "scarfing" her food?

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feeding the cats in different room is probably the best thing to do.

I've read advice on this forum to put a ball in the food bowl the make it harder for cats to scarf down food, but that advice is for dry food, not wet food, as far as I can tell. I honestly don't know of any ways to get cats to eat wet food more slowly. Maybe someone else has a trick that'll work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

Feeding the cats in different room is probably the best thing to do.

I've read advice on this forum to put a ball in the food bowl the make it harder for cats to scarf down food, but that advice is for dry food, not wet food, as far as I can tell. I honestly don't know of any ways to get cats to eat wet food more slowly. Maybe someone else has a trick that'll work.
thats what i thought. well the ball is a good idea but she doesnt scarf the dry, only the wet. but thanks!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you feed them in different spots? I don't feed in a different room, but my cats like different spots on the counter. You could also try setting the bowl on something (like a phone book) to elevate it a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ill try the phonebook thing that sounds like a good idea. but feeding them in seprate spots in the kitchen isnt going to work, shell just walk over to his spot when shes done hers. thats why im just gunna feed her in my bfs moms room with the door shut, bc if i left it open she would come out when she is done and go for Monsters food anyway. so im just going to shut the door & open it again when Monster is done.