does sick cat need to be kept warmer?

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my Alex is very sick. Since I took him to the vet on Fri he has eaten very little, not drinking, and not eliminating. I have faithfully given him the prescribed meds. A little while ago, I diluted and warmed the canned food from the vet, and syringed about 18cc into him. I can't just watch him starve.
I sure could use some advice on how much to force feed him and how often. The vet doesn't answer the emerg number. I'm also wondering if I should put a little heater in the room where I am keeping him isolated.
I have two other cats. I'm isolating so I can find him, watch how much he eats and drinks, and watch the litter box he uses(otherwise they all use the same one)
Thanks again for any help or suggestions. Prayers and vibes would also be good.
Sierra

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor baby! What's wrong with him?

I would try to keep it a little warmer, unless he has a fever. But there are some real experts who I hope will chime in for you shortly.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Poor baby! What's wrong with him?

I would try to keep it a little warmer, unless he has a fever. But there are some real experts who I hope will chime in for you shortly.
what do they think is wrong w/him?
cats generally prefer warmer temps than we humans do... what's the room temp in the room he's in?
if he's not eating & drinking, that's why he's not eliminating. i can't tell you how often/how much to assist-feed him, but i would also be giving some straight fluids - get unflavored pedialyte or similar. that's what i gave Mouse.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to force feed at least a half can to a can a day. Cats must have food, otherwise you get a whole bunch of other problems. \\there are appetitie stimulants, and valium stimulates their appetite. This is an emergency, and you must get back to the vet asap, or another if necessary. Get more food into the cat. mix it with water, make a slush,.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you all so much for your quick replies!
The vet said that Alex has a possible bile duct obstruction. The symptoms were rapid weight loss, vomiting foam, yellow ears.
He didn't have a fever.
The room temp is about 70, but it feels cool to me, and I know how kitties prefer to be warm. I think I'll put a space heater in the room with him.
The amount of food that I gave him was about a tablespoon, diluted with quite a bit of water. I would guess that 1/2 can would be about 4 tablespoons, so I guess I had better try to get some more down him. I will also try water.(then go shopping for some pedialyte)
Alex is a giant Tabby. I've had him about a year and a half, but vet thinks he is over 8 years old. When I got him he weighed about 16lb, but on Friday he weighed 12lb 10 oz. He looks sooooo thin.
I am going to try the emerg vet number again. I live in a very rural area, so the city emerg vet is about 2 hours away.
Thanks for your help.....I'll keep updating.
Sierra

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it helps to have more than one syringe., It is good to have many and fill them all at once, and then start to feed. half a can of r=food is close to 3 ounces. I think that is more than 4 table spoons. scoop out half a can, mix it with water, and then you will have the correct amount. feed as much as he will take.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be hesitant to use a space heater, unless you can be in the room all the time, to supervise him. It would be very easy for a space heater to cause a fire. A better alternative would be to purchase a heating pad that can be set on a low heat (101 or 102 degrees F, which is a cat's normal body temperature.) Keep a thick pad over it, so it doesn't cause a burn. I purchased a heating pad from DrsFosterSmith.com for my parent's CRF cat, and he spent nearly every minute of his last three years on that pad. It was one of the best investments I ever made! Talk to your vet about purchasing Hills a/d, which is a high calorie supplemental food (for sick kitties) that has a consistancy which is very easy to syringe feed. You should try, at the minimum, to get half of a 5.5 oz can into him daily...preferably a full can.

Did your vet actually say that he has pancreatitis? That is usually the diagnosis when a bile duct is blocked. Symptoms can be nausea/vomiting, lethargy and inappetance. Also talk to your vet about getting a prescription for Periactin (cyproheptadine) which often works as an appetite stimulant on cats. The usual dose is 1/4 tablet, every 12 hours. Most vets prescribe too much, which can cause either extreme lethargy or, conversely, agitation. Again, Samson, my parents' cat, was on it for the last 3 or 4 years of his life. Some cats don't respond to it, and if he doesn't, valium also can work as an appetite stimulant. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of valium can be lethargy also. With Valium and cyproheptadine, the side effects seem to lessen in time. Whatever you do, please continue to syringe feed him if he doesn't eat on his own. Overweight cats can easily go into hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) when they quit eating. The rapid weight loss actually contributes to the inappetance, and HL can be fatal if corrective steps (assist feeding) aren't instituted right away.

Good luck. Please keep us posted! You and Alex are both in my prayers.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The heating pad is a great suggestion. I have one already, and I think he will like that.
The vet did give me the Science Diet a/d, which is what I have been trying to feed him. I just tried to syringe feed about 2oz diluted with water. I got some of it down, and he spit a lot of it back up. I also gave him some water. He got very angry with me, which is not like him at all. I held him quietly for a while, and told him that I was trying to help him feel better, and that people he doesn't even know are praying for him. He purred a little, and gave me a little head-butt kiss...

I think I'll just make him comfortable for the night.
Thanks for all of your suggestions and prayers.
Sierra

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! This morning at 4:30 he woke me up meowing very loudly that he wanted out of the isolation room.(he has never liked being in a closed room, even if I am with him) I took this as a good sign. He really liked the heating pad

I gave him his amoxicilin, which he fought terribly. I was actually relieved that he had the strength to fight me. I opened a new can of a/d and put it down in front of him. He actually took a couple of bites on his own, and then insisted on being let out of the room. I let him out, knowing that now I can't monitor how much he eats, or if he eliminates, but I feel that the stress of being locked up is bad for him. I'll syringe feed him before I go to work, and then come home at lunch to check on him. He is a very shy cat who likes to hide.
I also plan to call the vet when they open to see about getting that appetite stimulator. I think that would help alot.
No, they did not say "pancreatitis", they just thought is was an obstruction because his blood work suggested that liver was functioning. I notice that his ears are not as yellow this morning. The other med that they give him was Ursodiol. It is used in humans to help dissolve gall stones.
Thank you again for your quick, caring responses. I don't think Alex would be alive now if you hadn't encouraged me to syringe feed him. I know that saved his life.
More later,
Sierra

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what a terrible time alex and you have been having. i agree with all the advice given here. good to hear he is feeling a little stronger too, with the indignant meowing!

keep up the good work! sending lots of healing for your boy.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Vet is calling in cyproheptadine right now. They said it comes in capsule---open it up and give half. I'll be back after I get it to make sure dosage is correct. I sure hope it works to get him to eat more. Poor boy... I let him out of isolation, and he went and hid somewhere. It's a pain for me to find him, but I want him to be more comfortable and rest till I get home.
Thanks for your healing prayers.
Sierra

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, I got the cyproheptadine tablets. The instructions say to take one tab 2 times per day. Pookie's post says usually 1/4 tab. I read on another site that there is a danger of overdose with this med in cats. What would you do??? I am still force feeding. Pookie, since you are the angel who directed me to ask for this med, I am waiting for your reply. (I didn't ask for it by name---just mentioned that he might benefit from an appetite stimulant
) Everything else you said was absolutely correct, so I completely value your opinion. I understand that it's different with every cat, but I don't want to make Alex more sick.
Thank you so much for your help and support. Alex and I are grateful.
Sierra

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sierra_K

Pookie, since you are the angel who directed me to ask for this med, I am waiting for your reply. (I didn't ask for it by name---just mentioned that he might benefit from an appetite stimulant
) Everything else you said was absolutely correct, so I completely value your opinion. I understand that it's different with every cat, but I don't want to make Alex more sick.
Thank you so much for your help and support. Alex and I are grateful.
Sierra
since Pookie-poo may not be on till later, i'm going to respond - i'd give him the 1/4 tablet at this time. should you discover later that he can have a larger dose, you can always give him more - but once it's down him, you can't [or at least, don't want!] it back.
go w/the 1/4 tab, & see if it helps at all.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Lauren. I figured better safe than sorry. The poor guy has already been through so much.
I'll let you know how it goes....after I find the little devil....he's hiding
Sierra

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you! Vet is calling in cyproheptadine right now. They said it comes in capsule---open it up and give half. I'll be back after I get it to make sure dosage is correct. I sure hope it works to get him to eat more. Poor boy... I let him out of isolation, and he went and hid somewhere. It's a pain for me to find him, but I want him to be more comfortable and rest till I get home.
Thanks for your healing prayers.
Sierra
I'm not sure that the vet is correct. I've never heard of cyproheptadine in capsule form. Usually, it comes in 4 mg white tablets. It's a human antihistamine. I hope your vet hasn't mistaken cyproheptadine for cyprofloxin, which is an antibiotic (and comes in capsule form.) Please doublecheck it before you give it to Alex!

Oops... should have read the rest of the posts! I agree with Laureen. It is best to start out with a lower dose and increase until you get the effect that you want. My Cleo only needs about 1/8 of a 4 mg tablet...Samson needed 1/2 of a 4 mg tablet. On the CRF-Support site, the average effective dose is about 1/4 of a tablet, and then increase to effect. Usually it is dosed every 12 hours, but in CRF cats, sometimes they only need it every 24 hours (overdose can happen in CRF cats more easily, due to impaired renal function...which obviously isn't an issue with Alex!) Good luck!

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, I'll start with the 1/4 tablet. The reason I questioned the dosage is because Alex is such a large framed cat. At 12lb 10oz he is VERY thin. I have discovered his hiding spot, and I'm going to try and bribe him out.
Can I expect some fairly quick evidence that this is working, or does it take a while?
I sure hope my boy will be feeling better soon. Thanks again for helping me.
Sierra

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

ok, I'll start with the 1/4 tablet. The reason I questioned the dosage is because Alex is such a large framed cat. At 12lb 10oz he is VERY thin. I have discovered his hiding spot, and I'm going to try and bribe him out.
Can I expect some fairly quick evidence that this is working, or does it take a while?
I sure hope my boy will be feeling better soon. Thanks again for helping me.
Sierra
I haven't needed to use it with Cleo for a couple of years now. If I remember correctly, it should start working within about 45 minutes to an hour. It seems to keep them nibbling throughout the day (or night.) It doesn't really seem to make them ravenous, but does seem to make them more interested. It might help to bring his food to him. Warming the food a smidge in the microwave helps release the aroma, and might make it more appetizing for him also. If you don't notice any appetite stimulation with 1/4 tablet, then I'd try 1/2 tablet, but I'd still wait the full 12 hours before giving him another dose. Some cats don't respond to it, but from the feedback that I've read on the CRF-Support site, more cats seem to respond to it than not. The side effects can be lethargy (sleepy) or some cats become vocal or yowl. Both of these side effects will decrease with time. More often than not, higher doses will cause the vocalization. It can be a bit disconcerting, but it is essentially harmless. I sure hope it works for Alex. You both continue to be in my prayers.

sierra_k

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sad. Alex doesn't seem to be doing any better. In fact, he seems a bit worse tonight. I have been giving him all the meds, syringe feeding the a/d(although he can't seem to hold much) and water. Even the appetite stimulant doesn't seem to work.
I just read a post about getting a second opinion and following your 'gut', and I think I might take him to another vet tomorrow for a second opinion. I feel like I'm losing him, and it's killing me. I am on my way out now to buy some different food to see if I can entice him with something new and yummy.
Random question: I just got him to take a kitty treat"Whiskas" chicken flavored. Can I make him worse by giving him those? I know they are not good, but sometimes I have to bribe my boys and those treats work!

Also I am grieving for my daughter's cat, Cody. (She doesn't live with me) She woke up yesterday, and he was curled up by his food bowl....dead.
She called me up and was hysterical! Cody was only 4 years old, and she had no clue that anything was wrong with him. Now when I look at Alex I wonder if this will happen to him too.

Any thoughts or suggestions are always appreciated. Alex needs prayers.
Sierra

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
no thoughts or suggestions... just & for sweet little Alex - &
for you & your daughter suffering the loss of Cody