Critical Kitten...

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mom pretty much told one of her kittens buh-bye. So I wanted to see if there's anything I can do.

He is very tiny and cold (he is on a heating pad right now) He is very tired and lethargic and is currently refusing the bottle.

Do I just give up, or? (trying to figure out how to use the srynge without drowning him, as wekk)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. This answers my how-to questions. And opinions on how long I should keep trying before I give up?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as the little kitten keeps trying, you should, too. You'll blame yourself if you don't probably.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
little kitten refuses the bottle and spits out the srynge milk. when mom comes to take him when he cries, after i try feeding him i let her until he starts getting cold again and then repeat the process.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

As long as the little kitten keeps trying, you should, too. You'll blame yourself if you don't probably.

I really don't have any advice to offer, as I'm new to this whole kitten thing myself.
Can you contact your vet for advice?

I hope the litte guy will be all right.

~KK~

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please take the kitten to a vet. If none are open take it to an emergancy vet. They will show you the right way to feed it. If it's not fed it will die...

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A cold kitten will not eat. Get an old sock, fill it with uncooked rice, then heat it in the microwave until it is warm, not hot and then wrap it around the kitten. Cover the kitten as well and keep it as warm as you can. If you can get the baby warm, you ~might~ be able to get her to eat.

kittymeri

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
he died
the person at the emer. vet office (it was sunday, normal vet not open) didnt seem to care at all about the issue when i talked to them.

you win some you lose some. the remaining kittens are HUGE and healthy. they look the size of 1-2 week olds but are 4 days.... giants!

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyMeri

he died
the person at the emer. vet office (it was sunday, normal vet not open) didnt seem to care at all about the issue when i talked to them.

you win some you lose some. the remaining kittens are HUGE and healthy. they look the size of 1-2 week olds but are 4 days.... giants!
I really despise people like that, I've dealt with them myself. You shouldn't be put in a position where you're going to be dealing with upset and often frantic people losing a loved one unless you can show some compassion.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am horribly sorry for your loss. With kittens, it isn't easy to save one who is fading. My heart joins yours in grief for this little one.

As for the people at the vet's office, while I am not excusing their bad behavior, a lot of times, these people see the horrible things people can do with and to animals. They become angered by it after a while and what you perceived as non-caring, I see more as that they have had to learn how to put these things in a place emotionally where it can't hurt them. Try to be understanding about it and forgive them. They do a hard job and it cannot be easy to see the things they see each day.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As someone mentioned in another thread, it may be that this kitten was from another, later mating than the others and was, in effect, "premature."

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear you lost a kitten. The high mortality rate of kittens is a sad truth. I couldnt agree with what Gaye said more - my heart joins your in this grief.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, it's so hard to lose little babies like that.
Also keep in mind at the vet that it's kitten season and they just hear so much of that and it's not people like us (
) but people who just let their cats breed and are clueless. Hugs to you and the remaining kittens.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that the little guy didn't make it.

RIP Little one.

~KK~