My Vet said I should euthanize my baby

felineluver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well my baby girl Tigerpuss has had a lot of trouble over the past few months, she started to get better with meds and the vet thinks she has cancer but we can't do much about it since she's 18 yrs old and to weak to handle any kind of biopsy or exploration surgery. The past couple days her belly started to balloon so we took her to the vet right away and an x-ray revieled that fluid is building up on the outside of her organs. She said the only thing that could be done is to drain the fluid but it is painful and the procedure itself could kill her, also the fluid would be back in just a matter of days. She thinks the fluid is from cancer and that the fluid is not in tissue or the organs so no drugs could help reduce or stop it. The fluid is slowly squeezing her organs and digestive tract so she has stopped eating.

Is there nothing else on this earth that can help her, I don't want to murder my baby, but if we don't put her down or find something that could help her then she will starve to death and the fluid build up can become very painful and squish her lungs so that it's very painful and hard to breath, and it will close off her digestive system from the pressure pushed on them by the fluid, so if left alone she will suffer and die for sure and that sounds worse then putting her down instead.

If anyone has any true sound medical/medicine treatment that they know could "probably" "possibly" help her and make that fluid in her abdomen go away please please let me know ASAP!!!!

We have to bring her in Monday the 7th and decide then, she's already looking terribly uncomfortable she hasn't slept decent in two days because she just not feeling good enough to get any kind of comfort anymore.

Please send Tigerpuss some vibes and prayers
Thank You
FelineLuver

The pic is my baby girl Tigerpuss

[/url][/IMG]

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she's a beautiful girl!

Unfortunately I have no medical advice to offer, but please remember that if you do have to put her down, you are not murdering her, you are giving her a gift of releasing her from pain. I know how much it hurts, and I hope so much that you find something to help her.
You and Tigerpuss are in my, Chester's and Dynah's thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felineluver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

What a lovely girl!!
Many prayers and that you find the answer you need.
Thank you
I can't stop crying

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about a second VETS opinion>???

and prayers

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's not easy, but sometimes we must make a hard decision to help them over the Rainbow Bridge.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice. I can just offer you some hugs and let you know that I'm facing the same decision for my kitty Chynna who is going to be 16 years in May. I can't stop crying either

When we are adopted by a kitty we know that it's likely that we will out live them, and it's likely that we will have to be the one to decide when that time is. It's not only important to love them through their life, but also to love them enough to let them go when the time has come.

It's not an easy decision. Very painful in fact. But you will do the right thing, whatever that may be

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

felineluver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

How about a second VETS opinion>???

and prayers
This is the second vets opinion, she would have been gone two months ago had we stayed at the other place.
The place she's at now is the Cat Clinic In IL and All the Vets there are fantastic. It is also a matter of to little to late, no signs really showed up until just a few months ago. People say they would die for there loved one's but I am the kinda person who truly would take on all her illnesses, even knowing that I would die just to let her live happy for even a couple more years.

We've had her for since she was two weeks old, she's been with me for truly more then half my life! She is my daughter my baby girl and I want her to live happy no matter what I must do.

Thanks for the vibes
FelineLuver

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

It's not easy, but sometimes we must make a hard decision to help them over the Rainbow Bridge.
but i'll send & that she either improves or that you receive the strength you'll need to make that hardest of decisions

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its the hardest thing to do. I had to do that with Yoshi Jan 11 and Stormy Dec 5. I am here for you if you ever want to talk. I also have a old Cat that just turned 16 that has some problems.

kitten_smitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We've had her for since she was two weeks old, she's been with me for truly more then half my life! She is my daughter my baby girl and I want her to live happy no matter what I must do.
She has lived happy - she has had your wonderful love for 18 years.

You said you would take her place - okay what if you were in her place - what would you want to have done for you. I know this isn't easy - loosing them is never easy no matter how it happens. Life comes in limited supply and that is why each life is so precious. Death happens we can not stop it - the only decision you have left is how.

See the baby in my signature - her name is Brat Kitten - I bottle fed her - I had her two short months she was taken from me I had no choice - my love couldn't keep her here with me - I didn't have the burden of having to have her put to sleep - the dog that took her life was another matter all together - I had no choice the dog was no longer "cognitive" with age came changes that I truthfully didn't see - it wasn't easy I lost two babies one I had for close to a decade the other I had two short months.

When I would feel lonely for Brat Kitten I used to watch the feral kittens down the street play - because some of the babies looked to be about her age - I wondered if they were cousins or liter mates to Brat Kitten - I don't know I found Brat kitten in the center of a bush full of urine and feces crying in hunger not yet weaned - she was scratched up from being slung into that bush in my yard .

One afternoon while watching the feral kittens play I noticed a baby that wasn't playing - the little orange thing just sat there in the sun watching the other kitties play The baby kitty appeared sick - we caught her- she was 100% feral for sure - it was love at first bite.

Ferocious is ill like chronically - she never would have made it in the cat colony - had Brat kitten stayed and Lord knows I wanted her to until we were both old and gray - Ferocious would have died - Brat went to the rainbow bridge - so Ferocious could have a place to live. . . . she knew love and was willing to share it. Ferocious had never been touched by human hands - Before we caught her no one ever cared if Ferocious lived or died - Ferocious now knows what it is like to be loved, protected and spoiled.

Love isn't love until ya give it away.

Some times love ask us to sacrifice

Love is giving up what we want so the one that we love can have what they need.

Brat can never be replaced , neither can the dog who took her life. I can not replace those whom I have lost but that is why each life is so special. Knowing this limitation can makes us sad and when it comes to a loved one leaving this life there is no easy way of parting.

This is the first time I have shared this experience with any one except my husband who was there when it happened I have never spoken or written about this until now - my words can not change your situation they will not prevent this from hurting but maybe they will make the pain a little more bearable . . . Give this time with your furbaby no less meaning than you have any other.

I do pray this helps -

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish you all the strength to decide what is best for your girl, the courage to carry it out, and boundless memories of the past 18 years to fill your conflicted heart.

You have been a great meowmy to your Tigerpuss over the years. She is lucky to have had you in her life. Whatever you decide, and however much longer she has on this physical world, she will live on in your heart furever!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am so sorry you are in this position, but you aren't murdering her, you are giving her that final act of love and kindness we can give them. IF this is your second opinion, then I think you have to ask her if she is ready to go, if you decide to let her go naturally, she might suffer, and I think they deserve more than to suffer at the end. Good luck with your decision.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry for you. I can hear the pain in your words.
When I had to put my precious baby boy to sleep I agonized over it. I felt like I had failed him. I looked forward to our years together with us both being oldish and gray together. But it was not to be. I am a firm believer that our babies try to stay with us even when ill so as not to leave us until we are ready.
She is suffering and in tremendous pain. Sometimes we have to love them enough to let them go. It hurts and I thought I would never stop crying. When I think of him now my eyes fill with tears.
Spend this time with her cuddling her and building some memories. Spoil her rotten with all her favorites and then try to release her.
I wish I had a magic remedy for her.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I really can't give you any better advice than what the fine people here already have given you, but I can give you my hugs and let you know I'm crying right now, just thinking vabout TigerPuss and you.

I had to make that horrible decision with Ming 6 years ago this July. She was 17 years old. She went to the litter box, made a terrible noise, and fell over, and couldn't walk properly (I think she had a stroke). I could tell she just wasn't herself anymore. She also had gone mostly blind 6 months before--so many people told me, "Why don't you get that srcuffy old cat put to sleep??". The vet agreed with me--why put her down, if sh has qualiy of life? I took her to the vet, who said, despite her blindness, she wasn't in pain; she was eating, using the litter, etc., so why put her down? She had about 3-4 months of decent life before the stroke; when that happened, and I know this sounds nutty, I sensed she wanted to go. Can't explain how I knew this. The frustrating part: it happened on Sunday night; tried calling the stupid vet down the street (he was Ming's vet); no one answered. Trying calling him all the next morning; same thing, tears in my eyes, because I knew she was suffering, and what had to be done made me suffer, too. I gave up, tried calling other vets, who, even though I explained the situation, wouldn't see her, as she wasn't their patient. One nasty receptionist even said, "WE don't have time to see HER--we're very busy, and SHE'S NOT one of Dr.....'s patients; you'll just have to call someone else!" Needless, to say, I said, "Well, THANK you for your compassion, you (insert word here)!", and slammed down the phone, not caring if she heard me or not. Finally, I found a vet who would take Ming at 3PM. I was with Ming when it was done, and able to stroke her; the vet was a darling woman who cried with Mom and I, and kept apologizing to Ming, calling her sweet names.

It really hurt, but I still think it was the right thing to do. I knew Ming was very sick when she was in Mom's lap wheile I was driving, and never made a sound--she always screeched like a banshee and peed herself while in the car. She never even moved, nor looked up.

BTW, the other vet's excuse: he was on vacation; when I asked why he had no answering machine message, he had some lame excuse, and NO comment for why he had no fill-in vet for emergencies!

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was faced w/the same decision back in October, when I had to let my baby boy BLACK go. He was only 2 years old suffering with severe liver disease. I could see the look in his eyes, it was time for him to go.

Just like the others have said, sometimes we have to love them enough to let them go. I trust you will make the right decision, whatever it may be, you and Tigerpuss are in my thoughts and prayers.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Stripe was Pts in 2002 it was very hard. She had Crf and went in a Coma at the end. She could only move her Tail. They thought she had a Stroke. I had to decide from home what to do. she was Pts around 12:20 Am on Sept 27 2002. I kept thinking am I doing the right thing too. This was at the Er Vet. When Stripe was dying Meeko was born. They only knew each other for 3 Months but Meeko is alot like her. I picked Meeko because she is Striped. When Stormy was Pts it was differant because I didnt even know she was sick. She didnt really act Sick. I went to take a Shower and she had alot of Saliva coming out of her and she fell over. We went to the Vet fast and she stayed the Night. They didnt think she would last the night and said to have her Pts the Next day Dec 5th which would have been my Grandmas Bday. They asked me if I wanted to be there but I couldnt do it. i didnt want to Cry there. Yoshi was Sick and kept getting worse when he was Pts. Coco my old Cat had a Appoinment for her Bladder Infection and we asked if we can bring Yoshi because he was way worse. i knew he wouldnt be coming back and cried before we even went there. He had wemt from 7.5 Pounds to 5.2 in a few weeks. They asked if I wanted to go in when they did it but I just couldnt Watch. I did get to say goodbye in a Room though before. they said take as much time as you want. I was Crying on Coco my old Cat. I asked for Yoshis Fur and got it. I did get Nice Cards too. If you need to talk I can help you. Just Pm Me and I will Answer. I do have he Ashes. Coco knows Yoshi didnt come back so now she hides when we go to the Vets. Do you have any other Cats? Meeko became so sad after they died. Those are my cats that died in my Sig. The others I do not have Pics of.