New haircut???

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so it's official!
I am SO sick of hairdressers who give me the same thing time and time again (even when I ask for a change). I am also tired of having hair past my shoulders.
I have very very fine hair, that doesn't curl unless you do something drastic. I like my hair colour (brown). I cannot afford a perm (
) until I get out of school again. Also, my face is chubby.
OH! And I am really bad at these "girly" things.
I was wondering if I might get some opinions on what I could do from some of you who are better at this stuff. That way I can bring in a picture or an idea to the hairdresser. Hopefully the mods will be ok with my posting a couple pictures of myself (I think that's ok, right?). These pictures are from February at a wedding I went to...it's the same cut as what I have now, only it's currently longer by about an inch.

What do you think????

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've found the best way to get anything close to what you want is to bring a pic.
i also have stick-straight, baby-fine hair... this is my current cut: my hairstyle
but that site has LOADS of pics of all different hairstyle lengths.
now, to be fair - i use quite a bit of product on mine - just found something new i really like: got2b's hair fiber.
these 2 sites have info on determining your facial shape & choosing the right haircut for it: Shorthair & Hairstyles

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got extremely straight & thick hair. This is my current cut. Actually, has been my haircut for like, 6-8 years now!

(From my senior pics 3 years ago)

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I've got extremely straight & thick hair. This is my current cut. Actually, has been my haircut for like, 6-8 years now!

(From my senior pics 3 years ago)
OMG Nat, your senoir pic is gorgeous.
I love it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm kinda scared to go that short. There's such a risk with the pudgy cheeks to end up looking like a bubble!
Your cut is cute on you though! I wish I had thick hair like yours

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I'm kinda scared to go that short. There's such a risk with the pudgy cheeks to end up looking like a bubble!
Your cut is cute on you though! I wish I had thick hair like yours
but your face is not round, it's more of an oval, IMO.
how short did you want to go?

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I'm just sensitive about the extra weight around my face. Too often you see women with extra weight where someone (be it them or the hair dresser) has gotten the "bright idea" to give them one inch locks and it makes everything stand out.
...I'd like to go above my shoulders for sure! I used to have it just under my ears in what I called my "rockstar" do...but I lost the only picture of it when I redid my computer. My boyfriend has it, but he's too lazy to get it off his external hard drive.
I'd love to have something with some spunk to it...kinda a chunky layer effect.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally I find longer hair easier to deal with and it makes my face longer, which is fine, since it's all round... but if you want shorter, do what make you feel good!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm heavy and have a round face. Two styles that suit me are:

1. Jaw lenth, permed http://www.curly-hair-styles-magazin...ly-hair-15.jpg

But you said you can't afford a perm.

2. Short, cropped.

Mine is close to the first image on the left. Only I don't have bangs across my forehead. As my hair grows I tend to do a messy part on the left and have whatever bangs I do develope on the right side of my forehead. Similar to the second picture from the left in the top row.
http://www.hairstylesadvisor.com/ver...hairstyles.htm

I can't stand having to fuss with my hair, so both of those styles are "wash and go". No hairdryer or curling iron required. If I have to spend more than 5 minutes on my hair, the style isn't for me.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a cute keeper! I like a bunch of stuff which Kelly Osborn has done with her hair, but I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed to post examples of it.

I don't think I'd be comfortable with it shorter than that, but somewhere around there would be a fun summer cut

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

what about something like this, then?

I vote for that, if you're not ready for short and spiky. Possibly more chin length imho, however that length will still work.

Laureen is right about your oval face; mine is that way as well. In my younger days when I was cutting it shorter, I would have to watch the hairstylist to make sure she didn't go above my earlobes...otherwise it would make my face look longer and heavier than what it was.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I need a haircut too! My hair right now is very long, too long
I'm trying to work up the nerve to cut it off
I've had my hair long for more than 10 years! I want to get mine cut to right at my shoulders, layered with shorter layers framing my face (which is also a bit chubby
) I'm even considering going back to bangs....but that's where my gray hair is

I, like natalie_ca, have to have a wash and wear style, my hair has not seen a blow-dryer in probably 2 years and a curling iron in more than that! My hair is naturally wavy which will probably spring up a little more if shorter. I wish I could work up the nerve! My hair is a part of me

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

what about something like this, then?
I think something like that would look great on you!! The shorter the hair the more body it has. Plus, don't underestimate the power of gel and blowdrying your hair upside down for body. I hate fooling with my hair too. I'm with Natalie..if it takes more than 5 minutes, forget it! But that is a remarkably easy thing to do that doesn't take that long.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, my boyfriend doesnt like it...but I think he's full of it. I'm thinking I'm going to bring my laptop to the salon this week and show them a bunch of them (including that one). I'll post a picture of me when I get home...not sure if I'll get around to it tomorrow though, maybe Tuesday.
I also have to decide if I want to pay a bit more and go to a real place or be frugal and go to one of those cheap walk in places.
It's so hard not having a regular stylist!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

I also have to decide if I want to pay a bit more and go to a real place or be frugal and go to one of those cheap walk in places.
It's so hard not having a regular stylist!
i'd recommend a real place... i tried going to an inexpensive place right before school started - brought the pic i posted a link to - she cut it WAY too short! i didn't get it cut again for over 3 months! took that long to grow out enough to even need cutting.
this spring, i went to my regular stylist [was trying to save money this fall - no longer!]. he did it perfectly. just went back a couple of weeks ago for a trim. if it's done right, i have to have trims once a month - mine grows really quickly.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

i'd recommend a real place... i tried going to an inexpensive place right before school started - brought the pic i posted a link to - she cut it WAY too short! i didn't get it cut again for over 3 months! took that long to grow out enough to even need cutting.
this spring, i went to my regular stylist [was trying to save money this fall - no longer!]. he did it perfectly. just went back a couple of weeks ago for a trim. if it's done right, i have to have trims once a month - mine grows really quickly.
Yeah, I'm up in the air about it. See...the last two times I went the more expensive route I either A) didn't like the hair at all! or B) didn't notice much of a change and was board by it (last time). I've been to the cheap place before and the manager there gives pretty good cuts, but not awesome ones either. I've heard good things about the place in the mall, but I've also heard that they're one of those $60 for a cut places too :p
I wish I wasn't part of a school community...so I could ask some of the locals....maybe my belly dancing teacher would know a place!!!