Blasting belly fat. Your opinions, please. :)

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been working out and adopted a healthy eating plan for the last 2 months. I started out at 205 pounds, and my goal weight, at 5'4" tall, is 130-140 pounds. 130 may sound unrealistic, but I remember being down on myself and feeling fat at 155, (years ago) so I know I can go that low. I have a very small frame, but too much weight on it! So far, I have lost 15 pounds, and a bunch of inches! My size seems to be shrinking, but my body is keeping the same blobby look for some reason. I have to be honest and say I started out very weak and had no stamina whatsoever. I couldn't even do 10 crunches and 3 minutes on the elliptical machine without feeling like I was dying. But now, I can almost easily pull off 120 crunches, and 25 minutes on the machine, and rising. I hired a trainer for 6 sessions, and she says I am to do crunches every day. I do them, but I was wondering if there are more ideas for blasting belly fat away? I have a hard time sometimes because my belly is in the way.
Right now I am aiming at 120-ish crunches a day, 15-30minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine and stationary bike, (which, I was NOT able to do nearly that 2 months ago!) and various weight-strength training, depending on the day. I'm usually at the gym 45 minutes to an hour a day, 6 days a week. I do give my muscles a break and do a different area of my body every day. If I could just shrink my stomach faster, I'd be happier and more motivated. I haven't even had kids, so this should be easier, no?
I have cut down significantly on the fats and sugars, and eat small, frequent meals throughout the day. I am constantly finding new things to cut down on or substitute with healthier options....
It is worth every sacrifice, and seeing/feeling the difference is wonderful, but sometimes I run out of ambition, or ideas, and need to be recharged. Any ideas? Thanks.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful that you're working out so vigorously! And certainly you're building muscle tone in all the right places, so that's great...

But "spot-reduction" is a myth. You can't tell your body where to lose the weight -- it just comes off wherever it comes off. Exercising a particular area of muscles will not cause fat in that area to disappear any more quickly... but in some cases, it can tighten musculature so much that you may look as if you've lost more in that spot. That's why it's still a good idea to do crunches, to strengthen your abdominal muscles.

I'm told that weight comes off in reverse order from the way it went on -- which is why the abdomen is usually the last thing you lose.
I know what you mean about losing weight and still being blobby! But at least we can become smaller blobs... and eventually, we'll reach the point at which the abdominal fat begins to vanish, too.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, people in my family have always said you lose weight first where you least need to... so, if you're a pear shape, you lose from your boobs first. my cousin, an apple, always seems to lose from her legs first...
not scientific, but seems to be anecdotally true...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, that's exactly right! For example... my middle gained weight for years before I finally got heavy enough for it to start showing in my thighs and upper arms -- and even now, my lower arms and calves are not bad, if I do say so myself!

So of course, it's my legs I can see the most loss in... "last on, first off," as they say.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crunches are a waste of time - old fashioned and not effective at all unless you do hundreds of them! Max is a newly qualified personal trainer. But he's always had amazing abs and NOT from crunches. I'll get him to describe some exercises for me and I'll post them here. Getting amazing abs is about promoting your core strength - pilates, lots of work on the fitball, aerobic exercise, stuff like that. NOT crunches!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, that sounds like you're got yourself a REALLY thorough diet and exercise plan - I need to do something similar in not too long! I don't really have any ideas, but you go girl!!

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus don't forget two months isn't long - you've done SO well but it will be another month at least before your hard work in exercising starts to pay off with a visible change in body shape. It will happen though so hang in there!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone.
No crunches, huh? Why do some trainers tell you to do them, and some don't? Ok, and no spot reduction. I'm in an exercise rut, so I'm willing to try it. That stinks, but at least if my arms and legs shrink, I can wear shorts and tank tops that cover my mid section until then. That would be easy. Nothing like wearing shorts with a pair of chunky legs sticking out. lol. I don't know what kind of fruit I look like...maybe a star fruit? It sticks out in all directions!!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I have been working out and adopted a healthy eating plan for the last 2 months. I started out at 205 pounds, and my goal weight, at 5'4" tall, is 130-140 pounds. 130 may sound unrealistic, but I remember being down on myself and feeling fat at 155, (years ago) so I know I can go that low. I have a very small frame, but too much weight on it! So far, I have lost 15 pounds, and a bunch of inches! My size seems to be shrinking, but my body is keeping the same blobby look for some reason. I have to be honest and say I started out very weak and had no stamina whatsoever. I couldn't even do 10 crunches and 3 minutes on the elliptical machine without feeling like I was dying. But now, I can almost easily pull off 120 crunches, and 25 minutes on the machine, and rising. I hired a trainer for 6 sessions, and she says I am to do crunches every day. I do them, but I was wondering if there are more ideas for blasting belly fat away? I have a hard time sometimes because my belly is in the way.
Right now I am aiming at 120-ish crunches a day, 15-30minutes of cardio on the elliptical machine and stationary bike, (which, I was NOT able to do nearly that 2 months ago!) and various weight-strength training, depending on the day. I'm usually at the gym 45 minutes to an hour a day, 6 days a week. I do give my muscles a break and do a different area of my body every day. If I could just shrink my stomach faster, I'd be happier and more motivated. I haven't even had kids, so this should be easier, no?
I have cut down significantly on the fats and sugars, and eat small, frequent meals throughout the day. I am constantly finding new things to cut down on or substitute with healthier options....
It is worth every sacrifice, and seeing/feeling the difference is wonderful, but sometimes I run out of ambition, or ideas, and need to be recharged. Any ideas? Thanks.
First of all, give yourself a big
for a major change in your lifestyle to healthier eating and exercising.

Having been a WW for years, I can tell you that it is best just to get the weight off in general than in any place in specific. Your personal trainer can help sculpt you, but we all have that genetic baggage. If the trainer says crunches, in her professional opinion, are for you, then go for them.

For the belly fat? Recent studies have shown that an 8-oz container of plain, non-fat yogurt every day can decrease the middle and give you a nice calcium boost.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just bought my first container of protein powder.
Vanilla, not bad! I can't eat too much protein personally, it backs up the plumbing if you know what I mean!
I'm hoping if I take it in a liquid form, it won't be as bad...

katya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember reading something in Women's Health magazine that mentioned a study were women ate similar portions of whole grains vs. refined and cut the same amount of calories in their diets. The whole grain group lost twice as much belly fat as the refined group. So cutting out white pastas, breads, sugars, should help.

I know it did for me anyway.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always had a bowl full of Jell-O for a stomach, even when I was a twiggy in high school.
You would touch it and it would start shaking.

When I went on my weight loss plan 5 years ago, I began to include Pilates into my workout and OMG did I get abs. My stomach hurt real bad the first few weeks because I was using muscles that crunches and sit ups NEVER touched. However I LOVED my core after that.

Pilates basically works on the longer, core muscles, rather than weights and cardio.

Good for you though
Keep up the GREAT work!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I just bought my first container of protein powder.
Vanilla, not bad! I can't eat too much protein personally, it backs up the plumbing if you know what I mean!
I'm hoping if I take it in a liquid form, it won't be as bad...
my personal protein powder faves: champion's whey stack in chocolate, cookies & cream & banana; syntrax's nectars in strawberry-kiwi, roadside lemonade, fuzzy navel & natural peach.
just fyi...

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lots cardio and a healthy diet are key to loosing that fat.

I am 5'4 and use to weigh 185 pounds, Im now 121 and more toned then i have ever been in my life.

What I did was made sure no matter what, I did at least 45-60 minutes of cardio on the ellipitical 6 days a week. Every other day I would do weight training as well, and on days I just couldnt stay on the ellipitcal for more than thrity minutes or on my days off, i would still do cardio but in a mild form, like taking my dogs on a fast paced walked for at least 45 min.

Cardio will burn the fat, and that it is the only thing that will, you can do all the sit ups you want but you wont see a change until that stomach fat goes away and it will melt off with the cardio.

I dont know if you eat cooked fish but if you eat differnt kinds of fish for dinner 3 times a week and the other nights eat lean chicken(all with healthy veggies as sides) you will notice a big difference too.

And for me I only eat when i am hungry and I make sure not to eat till im stuffed, if you eat slowly and savor each bite, the food will not only taste better but your body will let you know when to stop before you get that "ugh im full feeling."

One other thing that helped me a lot and motivated me, was I starting watching that tv show Biggest Loser, its amazing what people can do if they set there minds to it and everytime i watch that show it makes me want to exercise more and eat better. I also like watching cause i can get exercise tips from the trainers on the show and they show you how to make healthy meals too. its a great motivater.

Goodluck, its a hard road but it is so worth it.