How many words does a cat "understand" ?

rooster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since adopting our new (new ? its 6 months already !) kitten, the family never seem to be amazed at the amount of words she "understands" !!!!

We were always of the understanding that cats were independant compared to dogs, but she seems to have a large vocabulary...

Do you think its all down to tone of voice, or do they memorise words ?

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Cats are very smart! Not only does Oliver know spoken words, he knows some simple sign language... I'm sure they easily associate certain words with the actions or objects that go with it... if I say "meow mix" (yeah stinky food, but it's the only wet he'll even consider eating) or give the sign associated with his wet food, Oliver books it upstairs and on to the dresser where I feed him his wet... same with "cookie"

yiplong

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats don't understand any word. They might associate certain sound with good things or bad things, but I doubt they can actually understand its meaning. You can train the cat to come when his name is called, but that doesn't mean the cat knows that's his name, he just expect to be petted or fed.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
mine all know their names... plus they also understand at least one sign [not a traditional one, a made-up one]. when i need to get up from my seat, i pat my tummy. every one of them know that means 'get off, now'. really just happened by accident, but handy!
they also seem to be able to tell time - at least, the wet food eaters do. they know when it's about time for wet food - & will follow me wherever i go if it's near the right time.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine also know their names, and come when called. (When they want to, of course.
) They know "time to eat" and Nadette, my lap cat, knows, "I have to get up now." Clyde understands some sign language. Just made up stuff, but it helps us communicate.

blast-off-girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats rarely respond to their name. However, the one thing Buster knows is "good bye" means it's dinner time! I spend many hours chatting on the phone prior to wet food meals. Buster ultimately learned when I click the off button, which makes a sound, along with saying "good bye", it's time for dinner. He only does this at night even though I talk on the phone throughout the day.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia is extremely perceptive! She knows "Want to go out side?", "Stay", "Come", "No", "Down", "Watch out", "Calm down", and several vocal/physical gestures that are Mai-lingual!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They know their names and know a few others words.
If I say its time for a "treaty treat" they follow for it.
If I say Bye Bye They stand back as I leave the house.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are highly intelligent.

I think they learn to understand FAR more than most give them credit for, and I strongly believe that they can read pictures in human minds.

I think those that raise and/or work with ferals would agree with me, for the most part. It's more than just a word, or a tone of voice. The connection can go much deeper than that.

Or maybe it's because I'm what they call a cat whisperer, for not only do my cats understand me when I am talking to them, they also have taught me to understand THEM.

paulena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All my cats knows their names and comes when called. (when they want to, of course) They know the words "breakfast" and "suppy" meaning supper. I totally agree with "Gingersmom", they know alot more than we give them credit for!!

missynlulus-mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats respond to their names, and saying 'is this what you want?' means food is coming, clicking and pointing at the floor is 'get down', they also jump on the bed if I say 'bedtime' and 'scratch?' and patting the chair or bed next to me makes them come and lay down next to me.

I think it is sound and visual association but they are very intuitive.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yiplong

Cats don't understand any word. They might associate certain sound with good things or bad things, but I doubt they can actually understand its meaning. You can train the cat to come when his name is called, but that doesn't mean the cat knows that's his name, he just expect to be petted or fed.
Actually, cats are very good at inter-species communication which is why they are good companions for race horses. I use cats' reactions to the outside dogs' barking to know if the bark means another predator animal, a human known to the dogs to not be a threat, or an unknown stranger.
Joey & JC know that "load up" means to get into their cat carriers - the vet loves it! And the first time that JC went to go into my mom's kitchen, she told him in Spanish - "You go into my clean kitchen - you go out the door to outside!" - he stopped just at the edge of the kitchen floor, looked at the front door, thought a moment, then backed up & then dashed up the stairs. My mom just laughed & laughed at the cat being "bilingual"

I've actually heard it being explained that being almost-non-verbal communicators, cats & horses are actually tuning in to our thoughts! So, if we speak our thoughts out loud, in language, we are sending a stronger thought signal & the animal picks up on that.

katluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are smarter than you think! If I told you what I have taught mine, you would not believe me, that's how I learned how smart they are. They can learn and will if they want to. Some cats are much smarter than others much like their owners.....

katluv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes they do! Some are not as smart as others or either you are not trying to teach..

maple syrup

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was in university my parents fostered an oriental cat.  At home on  break, Shadow was all underfoot while we were in the kitchen. my mom says "Shadow, go upstairs and get in your box'.  He leaves the kitchen immediately.  10 minutes later I go upstairs, and Shadow is in his box.  As said before in this thread they DO understand. Some more than others.  You are mistaking aloofness with lack of understanding.  Nobody is expecting them to be human and understand every word.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Monet understands "bedtime!".. he'd happily walk with me into the bedroom to snuggle, no matter the time.

the both know "hungry" and "dinner"

and I swear Monet knows what "Who's got a beautiful face!?" means.. he meows every time I say it. he doesn't meow for anything else (aside from dinner)!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm certain my first cat Skittles could read my thoughts!  I always said it was a good thing she didn't know how to talk--the tales she could have told about what was going through my head sometimes....
   LOL

The three year kitties we have now understand what they want to understand--typical teenagers.  

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Si appears to understand and responds to ~

His name ~   He comes running.

Nom-Noms ~ He heads straight for the door his food is kept in.   

Are you Momma's Boy/Is that Momma's Good Boy? ~ He climbs onto something to climb onto my shoulder to get lovins.

Bedtime ~ Takes his regular spot on the bed.

Where's your toy?:  To me the best, because he gets flat on the bed, staring intensly at the overhead cabinets above the bed where 'da Bird is kept.  LOL

I'm working on him actually meowing Mama.  He's such a talker that any day I expect to hear it. 

I do agree that tone of voice, along with repetition, seems very important to his interest/understanding of the word or phrase.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine know Brekkies, Supper, gooshyfood, out, in, stop, up and down and their names. Sugar also knows bring it back -for playing fetch with her mouse.