Merrick B.G. before grain dry?

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A local pet store has this food available - has anyone else seen it yet, and does anyone have any feedback on it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SAW it ... NOT IMPRESSED... the protein and fat look like main stream premiums with GRAIN ..

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have the ingredient list? The high protein/phosphorous/ash/calcium that are in many of the grain free drys are what make me afraid to try them. I'd love to find a single protein grain free that my cat with allergies could handle. Venison and pea did not work for her.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i went to Merrick's site, but didn't see anything i thought was what the OP was talking about... canned only, no dry for cats.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i went to Merrick's site, but didn't see anything i thought was what the OP was talking about... canned only, no dry for cats.
Merrick does have a new grain free cat food... 3 lbs was 18 $ at the real discount pet food ... IT IS NOT uti friendly.. I was actually quite dissapointed

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Merrick does have a new grain free cat food... 3 lbs was 18 $ at the real discount pet food ... IT IS NOT uti friendly.. I was actually quite dissapointed
wonder why it's not on their site?

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it high in magnesium, Sharky? That is really expenisve for only 3 lb. ! I found it under the new products link on their front page but not under the cat section yet. They don't list the ingredients though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jencat

Is it high in magnesium, Sharky? That is really expenisve for only 3 lb. ! I found it under the new products link on their front page but not under the cat section yet. They don't list the ingredients though.
IMHO HIGH .... not in the typical % range for a reg cat food

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local health store stopped carrying the Merrick dry because they didn't like the recent change to their ingredients. My poor dogs are disappointed as their Grammy's Pot Pie was their absolute favorite food on the planet.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok, i'll do my best in writing the ingredients

Analysis

Protein 36%

Fat 18%

Fiber 3%

Moisture 11%

Ingredients

Chicken deboned, chicken meal, potao dehydrated, turkey meal, chicken fat, sweet potato dehydrated, dried egg, natural flavor, yeast culture, dicalcium phosphate,lysine, sea salt,alfalfa, salmon oil, choline choline, acai berry freeze dried, blueberry dried, yucca schidgera extract, rosemary extract, taurine, zinc amino acid conplex, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine hydrochloride, chicory root, marigold extract, lactobacillus plantarum, enteroucoccus faecium, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus acidophilus, iron amino acid complex, vitamin e supplement, manganese amino acid complex, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper amino acid complex, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, niacin, lecithin, riboflavin supplement, biotin, ethylenedianmine dihydriodide, pyridoxine hydrochoride, cobalt amino acid complex, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, sodium selenite.

whew.. i think that covers it!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Analysis

Protein 36% FOr a grain free this is low... MNAY grain containing are this high.. since CHICKEN ( Ie mostly water is first this tells me there is alot of POTATO in this formula... Sweet potato GREAT regular potato good but I prefer NOT that high...

Fat 18%Mis range for ALL cat foods ... the lower end for a grain free

Fiber 3%

Moisture 11%

Ingredients

Chicken debonedWONDERFUL but remember it falls to 5 or 6th after cooking, chicken meal, potao dehydrated AFFCO doesnt give me a great definition of this .. likely is the potato minus the water but cant be sure , turkey meal, chicken fat, sweet potato dehydrated, dried egg, natural flavor, yeast cultureMAKES me wonder as it does not state WHAT yeast , dicalcium phosphate,lysine, sea salt,alfalfaKNOWN for causing tummy upset .., salmon oil, choline choline, acai berry freeze driedTHIS is all the range in Human health for antioxidents but NOT proven SAFE for anyone yet , blueberry dried, yucca schidgera extract, rosemary extractKnown for causeing tummy issues , taurine, zinc amino acid conplex, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine hydrochlorideCONTAINS hidden fish and is VERY high up but overall a okay supplement since excess is peed out, chicory root, marigold extract, lactobacillus plantarum, enteroucoccus faecium, lactobacillus casei, lactobacillus acidophilus, iron amino acid complex, vitamin e supplement, manganese amino acid complex, vitamin A supplement, vitamin B12 supplement, copper amino acid complex, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin D3, niacin, lecithin, riboflavin supplement, biotin, ethylenedianmine dihydriodide, pyridoxine hydrochoride, cobalt amino acid complex, folic acid, thiamine mononitrate, sodium selenite.

Overall it is a fine food but for a grain free it is at the bottom of my list ... I am surprised Merrick took its time to make a dry cat food and came up with this

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've been waiting furr-ever to see what they come out with, now not only is it way out of my price range for my numbers, but it doesn't look so spectacular!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the answers so far, and thanks to followedbydolls for posting that ingredients list! The bag I picked up was $9.99 US for 3.3 lb.

Since one of my cats has trouble with barley, wheat, tomato pomace/ tomatoes, and soy, and another two of them get itchy if I feed food with corn, I was hoping that this would be an option for dry to supplement between their canned meals. They eat mostly canned, but I like to leave dry out for them to nibble on too - I want them to be able to maintain their weight, and to have dry available if I have to go on a short trip & be away from home for a day or so.

3 of my cats are seniors with early-stage kidney issues but who can't tolerate the prescription kidney foods, so I've been looking for something dry that isn't too high in phosphorous yet meets their other dietary restrictions. I'm afraid most of the traditional grain-free dry foods would be too high in phosphorous for them? Surprisingly, alfalfa doesn't seem to bother them (they can tolerate Felidae, which has alfalfa in it, but they don't like the taste of it). Would this be a viable option to switch from California Natural, or should I stick with the California Natural dry?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Thanks for the answers so far, and thanks to followedbydolls for posting that ingredients list! The bag I picked up was $9.99 US for 3.3 lb.

Since one of my cats has trouble with barley, wheat, tomato pomace/ tomatoes, and soy, and another two of them get itchy if I feed food with corn, I was hoping that this would be an option for dry to supplement between their canned meals. They eat mostly canned, but I like to leave dry out for them to nibble on too - I want them to be able to maintain their weight, and to have dry available if I have to go on a short trip & be away from home for a day or so.

3 of my cats are seniors with early-stage kidney issues but who can't tolerate the prescription kidney foods, so I've been looking for something dry that isn't too high in phosphorous yet meets their other dietary restrictions. I'm afraid most of the traditional grain-free dry foods would be too high in phosphorous for them? Surprisingly, alfalfa doesn't seem to bother them (they can tolerate Felidae, which has alfalfa in it, but they don't like the taste of it). Would this be a viable option to switch from California Natural, or should I stick with the California Natural dry?
Depends on the stage of CRF stage 1?? then maybe stage 2 then consult a vet ... Felidea IN my opinion may be a better option the chn and rice is 32/20 which is closer to the recommended cap of 28 for stage 1/2 CRF protein in a DRY food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how the stages are classified, but here's what I know so far: Sylvestra & Mr. Underfoot both have normal blood results but aren't concentrating their urine well. Felixia's last blood test results showed BUN 41.0, Creatinine 2.2. She didn't have a urinalysis done. We got Syl & Mr.'s urine samples when they were under anesthesia for dental work.

(I know I need to read through that CRF sticky when I have time, it's just hard to find the time because it's such a huge thread. Is that where the classifications are listed for which stage they're in?)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm not sure how the stages are classified, but here's what I know so far: Sylvestra & Mr. Underfoot both have normal blood results but aren't concentrating their urine well. Felixia's last blood test results showed BUN 41.0, Creatinine 2.2. She didn't have a urinalysis done. We got Syl & Mr.'s urine samples when they were under anesthesia for dental work.

(I know I need to read through that CRF sticky when I have time, it's just hard to find the time because it's such a huge thread. Is that where the classifications are listed for which stage they're in?)
Yes one of the links has BASIC blood tests and where they fall....

mootsie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jencat

Does anyone have the ingredient list? The high protein/phosphorous/ash/calcium that are in many of the grain free drys are what make me afraid to try them. I'd love to find a single protein grain free that my cat with allergies could handle. Venison and pea did not work for her.
You may want to try Nature's Variety---Instinct. My diabetic man prefers the venison.

mootsie4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

A local pet store has this food available - has anyone else seen it yet, and does anyone have any feedback on it?
I have tried the Tuna Dry crunchies so far. My picky man loves it. I read on the canned foods that it's only supplemental. There's no word of such on the dry food though.