10mo manx - DONT TOUCH ME!

birdinboom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a kitten named Fergie. I guess she's not a kitten since she's about 10 months old. She has a sister named Timber, and they are both Manx.

Timber is very social and sweet and doesn't mind being held but we have a problem with Fergie.

Fergs (as we call her) does not like being touched. If you try to stroke her as she walks by she bends as to avoid your hand. She isn't afraid (or so I think) of us, she doesn't mind being around us often, she'll even come up and snuggle close as long as we don't touch her at all. If we don't touch her and we talk and MAYBE stroke her face and chin she's ok. But if we reach for her she's out of there. When we pick her up she wines as if it hurts. I'm afraid if somehow we are hurting her? I've had cats all of my life and I think I know a lot about cats. I know cats are just like this some times but it seems as if she likes us, she wants to be lovey, but she just doesn't want to be touched! She probably thinks we have dirty fingers because she is "miss clean" around here.

I'd love to know what you think!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think it's problem at all. There are cats that do not like to be held at all. it's just how they are.
I have 2. One is Joji, who has always been a loner. The other is Go. He is friendly but always on the move. He squirms and wiggles when he is held and sometimes he whines if we do not let go. He only wants to run and play and feels that holding him is a waste of time.

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an almost 3 year old manx/dlh and she is exactly the same. She hates to be picked up and she tries to avoid being stroked most of the time. The only place she likes to be stroked is on her head & chin. She purrs up a storm when she's stoked there. She likes to be near me though. She follows me around sometimes and be likes to lay down in my general area, but she doesn't liked to be touched much. She's easily scared though, too. Most sudden movements and loud noises send her running.

I've had her since she was about 5 months old or so. I don't know if anything happened to her before I got her, but she was this way when I got her and she's still this way.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Luna doesn't like being pet while she's walking around either. She crouches out of my way when I try to pet her. But on the other hand, when I sit in front of the TV or computer or in bed she snuggles up with me. THough she will run away if I i make sudden movements and always wakes up when pet. =P

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Joey doesn't like to be picked up or carried, except by my grandson. He went through a long spell of only allowing touching around the neck & head, as does an abused manx-rescue that I have. I think it might be a "manx" thing. Now with Joey, I was using a comb one day and he was supervising, but also being curious about knocking over things on the bathroom counter, so I gave him a small combing and he actually liked it! I would do a little more each day till now he allows (and Loves) his daily grooming plus he tolerates being petted down the sides, too.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my girls are that way. You just have to let Fergie come to you, is all.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manx are prone to back and spine problems. Sounds like she is more sensitive on the spine area and may be having early problems related to that. I know a few cats that are manx or part manx and develop this type of reaction.

You might want to consult a vet on this as she could have more severe back/spine problems in the future. Are these purebred Manx or mixed breed cats? Either way its something that you need to be aware of in the future. Especially if she's acting like she's in pain when you pick her up.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Manx are prone to back and spine problems. Sounds like she is more sensitive on the spine area and may be having early problems related to that. I know a few cats that are manx or part manx and develop this type of reaction.
or she could have particularly sensitive skin on her backside. Bella does not like to be touched past her waist on the back (rolls her skin, avoids your hand, she will also bite if you don't get the message)--the vet said lots of cats have a sensitivity there.

Whatever the cause, she's telling you don't touch me
I guess you'll have to play on her terms