Keeping the Litter In the Box

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure this is one problem everyone who owns a cat has encountered, but I'd just like to hear other's advice on the subject--how have you remedied/prevented the situation of litter scattered all over the floor? I'd appreciate hearing any ideas!

courtney_ou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pft good luck. i even bought a booda dome, put it in the closet, facing the wall and closed the door almost completely. i STILL had little EVERYWHERE. i finally gave up. i have noticed that the smaller the texture of the litter, the less i have in the floor.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, mine's not too bad... i have all of the boxes in closets, with the lowest side not facing the door. the 3-box closet has 2 rugs & a cat litter mat under the box, & the 1-box closet has a rug under the box. that rug is slightly larger than the closet floor... might be why it's not scattering like before.
i have wall-to-wall linoleum floors, btw.

eliot'smom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Booda dome, on top of an old towel, on tile in the linen closet in the bathroom...this has eliminated 90% of my litter tracking problem. I sweep every day.

I think an enclosed litter box or a high-sided one is a good first step, especially if your cat is a "litter kicker", like mine.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meezersmom2

I'm sure this is one problem everyone who owns a cat has encountered, but I'd just like to hear other's advice on the subject--how have you remedied/prevented the situation of litter scattered all over the floor? I'd appreciate hearing any ideas!
FoolProof:
Persi is quite the neat boy. Different story with Alley the kicker.
I finally cut out some clear plastic and put it over their opening. I left the roof off while they got used to this idea and then put the roof back on and have had no problems since.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meezersmom2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, all of you, for your helpful ideas. I used to use a box with a cover on it, but I don't think the kitties cared too much for the idea of being "closed in" (either they were claustrophobic, or didn't like the concentrated odor inside.) You've given me something to work with, it's much appreciated.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure the Domes are great for containing most of the litter - but, one thing concerns me - what of all the dust your cat is breathing while he's in that covered litter container?

I have a black cat, didn't know about the dust problem until one day he emerged from the covered litter container - all WHITE - from the dust - I wonder how much of it got into his lungs before I pulled off all the covers ? - really hope that I caught this problem and that he doesn't develop a breathing problem when he is older because he was forced to breathe all that dust.

Then, there's the health concern of them breathing in the Clumping kitty litter -- so, I do the best I can afford to do - and, have no top on my litter pan.

I did a "google search" ... cat breathing problems caused by litter dust, and came up with some interesting information ... I may be changing from the "clump" kind after reading one article --

Okay, trying not to go too crazy ...

g

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our solution is to use high-sided plastic tubs for litterboxes - the Sterilite brand, in the 18-gallon size. They're very inexpensive, and they're a good size for most average to large sized cats.

We take the lid off, put about 3 to 4 inches of litter in it, and set a small box next to it so the cats can jump in & out without too much trouble. This completely stops litter being tossed out of the box by overzealous diggers, as well as spray dribbled by the cats who spray up the side of the box, and it prevents 'misses' that can happen if you're lucky enough to have a cat who stands in the box but sticks its behind out of the box to go. With the lid off of the box, they still have the open feeling of an uncovered box, with even better mess confinement than a covered box, because there's no low opening to toss the litter out.

Stepping on the box removes most of the litter from their paws, but we also use a small woven rug on the spot where they jump down from the box (Astroturf-style and ridged mats hurt some cats' paws) to catch additional tracked litter. We keep a little whisk broom & dustpan set by the box to pick up any leftover litter that may drop from their paws in the area. A dustbuster might do the job if you have carpet, or you could use one of these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2755050 by the box. They're nice & soft & catch litter well.

If your cat isn't very large, you might consider a Clevercat litter box - it's a bin with a hole in the lid for cats to jump through.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

If your cat isn't very large, you might consider a Clevercat litter box - it's a bin with a hole in the lid for cats to jump through.
actually, you can make one of those out of the rubbermaid totes!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

actually, you can make one of those out of the rubbermaid totes!
If it's sturdy enough, that would be a much more economical option if you want a covered box - great idea!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Our solution is to use high-sided plastic tubs for litterboxes - the Sterilite brand, in the 18-gallon size. They're very inexpensive, and they're a good size for most average to large sized cats.
What great ideas, tuxedokitties and laureen227 - I thought about "thinking outside of the box" (pun intended
) because large litter pans are getting expensive, - now, your posts here have helped me with that thought process - THANKS!

g

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

What great ideas, tuxedokitties and laureen227 - I thought about "thinking outside of the box" (pun intended
) because large litter pans are getting expensive, - now, your posts here have helped me with that thought process - THANKS!

g
there are examples of them here

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

there are examples of them here
It's been so long, I'd completely forgotten about that post! Fortunately, it turned out that Mr. Underfoot only rolls in litter if it's very sandy-textured & dusty, and unscented - we avoid that now by using litter with larger grains and/or a light scent.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We use these litter mats, and they work a treat. No litter travels beyond the mat, and what gets caught in its ridges can easily be dropped back into the LB.

miao_kitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the feline pine (clumping, not pellets) litter because it's pretty light and even if you step on it, it doesn't crunch. The little mats with the grid on them that's removable seem to catch a lot of litter. I'm not sure about dust inhalation (my Luna needs uncovered boxes so I"ve never thought about it). As she needs uncovered boxes, It's hard to predict which way the kitties will leave the box, so I end up having litter everywhere anyway. And on my lanolium, it's really hard to see...I think I'm doomed!

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh a bin litter box! What a greyt idea!!! I use those bins as cages for mice,storage,storing pet food and now I can use them as litter boxes! These bins have so much use,it's awesome!!

rapunzel47: As for the mats,I have seen them around,but didn't think they do much good.And knowing my cats,they would drag them away from the litter boxes anyway.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Eliot'sMom

I think an enclosed litter box or a high-sided one is a good first step, especially if your cat is a "litter kicker", like mine.
we brought an enclosed litter box as shinobi had the endearing (not) habit of positioning his little bottom over the side of the tray.
plus the huge amounts of litter him and milo would kick out. even though they now have the enclosed box i still find litter in the hall, up the stairs, in the lounge, in the dining room. still not sure how it happens!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 709Juggalette

rapunzel47: As for the mats,I have seen them around,but didn't think they do much good.And knowing my cats,they would drag them away from the litter boxes anyway.
You don't know until you try. They are meant to be caught under the litter box, and are quite heavy actually. Not dragging material for the average cat. Ours stay put without a problem. Not that it matters to me whether anyone buys the product, but just wanted to answer that concern for the OP in case she's interested.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah,thats true!
Okay...well I am definatly gonna look into them.
I have gotten some advice from this thread too,even tho I didn't start it!