Step One: Dallas-Area TCS Meetup!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here's Step One in preparing for the Dallas-Area TCS Meetup! First, a few general thoughts to consider (other ideas are very welcome):

1. All TCS people and their significant others are more than welcome, of course, whether you're anywhere near Dallas or not. (There's a chance Miss Mew might be able to join us if we meet while she's down here from Canada in June -- but if the big meeting cannot coincide with her visit, those of us who can be available then will get together with her on our own!)

2. It's always difficult to coordinate a lot of lives -- so I'd like to assemble a calendar of possible dates that covers May 10 through July 27, just in case there is no time in June when a majority of us can make it. Assuming weekdays are out for nearly everyone, that gives us twelve Saturdays and twelve Sundays to choose from.

3. Although it would be wonderful if we could bring our kitties too, I don't know whether that's really the best idea. What do you think? I'm concerned that it would be terribly traumatic for the kitties to be in carriers for so long, with litterbox issues and such... and even with carriers, it would still be frighteningly easy to spread illness among them, if we weren't aware one of our kitties was getting sick.

4. So I'm thinking we pass around scrapbooks... and maybe someone who has a laptop could bring it along, and we could bring videos of our kitties to show on DVD! Whatcha think?

5. Another reason I'm not sure we should try to bring our kitties is that it would limit us to either someone's home or an outdoor location for the meeting. I'm not sure there's anyone here with a home large enough to invite perhaps a dozen people and 25 cats over for the day!
And outdoors, we would be at the mercy of the weather, which will probably be too hot for man or beast.

6. So my suggestion is that we reserve a room (or an area) at a restaurant from, say, 11:00 to 3:00pm, maybe? We can have some time to just sit and talk, and once everybody arrives, we can have lunch. With any luck, the restaurant may not even charge us for the room if we're eating there. EDIT: Lee of Persi & Alley fame has graciously invited us all to his new home in Farmers Branch! 'WAAAAYYY better!

7. Again, these are just suggestions -- if you have better ideas, please say so!
There's a place for that in the form below, or you can post here if you want to invite discussion.

Meanwhile... let's try to find a time and a place for this extravaganza! Here's a little form you can PM to me... EDIT: Or better yet, post your answers here in the thread -- that way this thread will keep bouncing to the top of the forum, and more people are likely to notice it and sign up!

Your TCS Name:

Your Real First Name:

Will You Be Bringing Your Significant Other (so I can determine the size of meeting space we need)?

Your Location, With Zip Code (if you'd rather not give a street address, please use a nearby intersection -- this is so I can make a rough map and find a meeting site that will be central to us all):

Dates You CANNOT Make a Meeting (between May 10 and July 27):

Kinds of Restaurants You Just Can't Stand (Thai, Sushi, McDonald's, etc.):

Things You'd Like To Do At The Meeting (play volleyball, sing show tunes, etc.):

Comments, Suggestions, & Angry Retorts:

Thanks! I hope we can find a good date and location for everybody!

Carol

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i think we ought to PM, like you suggested - but also post something, so the thread doesn't get lost - what do you think?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Your TCS Name: Persi & Alley

Your Real First Name: Lee

Will You Be Bringing Your Significant Other (so I can determine the size of meeting space we need)? DW

Your Location, With Zip Code (if you'd rather not give a street address, please use a nearby intersection -- this is so I can make a rough map and find a meeting site that will be central to us all): 75023

Dates You CANNOT Make a Meeting (between May 10 and July 27): None Known

Kinds of Restaurants You Just Can't Stand (Thai, Sushi, McDonald's, etc.): None

Things You'd Like To Do At The Meeting (play volleyball, sing show tunes, etc.): Laptops with cat pictures.

Comments, Suggestions, & Angry Retorts: I will be in a new townhome with room for all in Farmers Branch. DW is an excellent cook in all things Persian. We are used to hosting large get togethers.

Thanks! I hope we can find a good date and location for everybody!

Carol
Until then........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! What a generous offer, Lee -- I'm sure everyone would much rather meet at your beautiful new home than anywhere else we could come up with! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Do we have to answer a KatKwiz kwestion korrectly to get in the door?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow! What a generous offer, Lee -- I'm sure everyone would much rather meet at your beautiful new home than anywhere else we could come up with! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

to both! i just checked - it's about 45 minutes from me [probably further from exact location to exact location, but still..]

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I think 75023 is where Lee is now ('cause that's where I am, too) -- where he's moving to (Farmers Branch) is just off I-35, a little farther toward the center of the DFW area. Much closer for you, Laureen, and probably a good location all around!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Actually, I think 75023 is where Lee is now ('cause that's where I am, too) -- where he's moving to (Farmers Branch) is just off I-35, a little farther toward the center of the DFW area. Much closer for you, Laureen, and probably a good location all around!
no, i did a search from sanger to farmers branch - not zip codes.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sanger is north of Denton, off 35. I drive through it on the way to see my family.

It always makes me laugh how we classify distance in the Metroplex - by the time it takes, rather than the distance.
It's one hour to the hockey rink in Denton from my house, but only 55 minutes to the soccer fields in Arlington. Guess which one is further by miles?

I work in 75023, but it is a 20 minute drive through traffic.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

DW, in case you did not know, is Persian and does serve people with cats other than Persian

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes, the new address is right off of LBJ and the tollway. Convenient to all. Right next to Brookhaven college, which is where DW teaches (while I loaf around with the cats).

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to, but with the insurance pending and my passport, I may be going to Germany, England, Ireland, and Scotland within a 3 week period. If so, I won't have any leave left.

I hope that one day I can go to a get together. For all of you who do attend, I hope you will have a great time!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I hope that one day I can go to a get together. For all of you who do attend, I hope you will have a great time!
do you work on weekends, too?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Sometimes, but with all that is going on, I know it will take a few months to get squared away and I would be gone from June 27-July 21 or so.
oic... well, maybe it'll be in early june or early august - then you can come, too!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

oic... well, maybe it'll be in early june or early august - then you can come, too!
That would be great! There are some wonderful people going that I would love to meet. If I can't, I surely will try the next one.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen, I just noticed your comment about posting in the thread instead of (or in addition to) PMing, and you are absolutely right! I'll edit my original post to say that...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sabrina, why don't you go ahead and fill out the form, showing the dates you'll be gone -- maybe it'll work out so you can come!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your TCS Name: mrblanche

Your Real First Name: Mike (and the "mr" of mrblanche is are my initials, not "mister." I'm not formal)

Will You Be Bringing Your Significant Other (so I can determine the size of meeting space we need)? Yes, Dottie will definitely want to come.

Your Location, With Zip Code (if you'd rather not give a street address, please use a nearby intersection -- this is so I can make a rough map and find a meeting site that will be central to us all): Cedar Hill, all of which is 75104

Dates You CANNOT Make a Meeting (between May 10 and July 27): June 7 thru June 13. I MAY be available on the 13th, but probably not. The rest of time I will be out of the country (Sweden).

Kinds of Restaurants You Just Can't Stand (Thai, Sushi, McDonald's, etc.): We are some of the least fussy eaters in the world.

Things You'd Like To Do At The Meeting (play volleyball, sing show tunes, etc.): Talk and get acquainted.

Comments, Suggestions, & Angry Retorts: