Older Stlye Rotary Phone...anyone have one?

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone out there have an older style rotary phone like the one pictured here that they might be willing to part with? I'm looking to replace a part on the one I have.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My folks used to have several of them, but they've gone to cordless (mostly.) I will check and see if they still have the old ones. They might have tossed them when they moved 4 years ago. But then again, my mother is a pack-rat extraordinaire, so it's hard to tell, lol!

Edit:
I just talked to her...she sold them at a rummage sale when they moved. Sorry!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will see if my Dad stil has some of them. We had a few of them when I was a Kid. He is redoing his House though and alot of stuff was tossed and put in Storage.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have two of them that are still working, and one is in the attic
It came with the house. Why you would need one up there? I guess they didn't have cordless phones back then

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I just goggled and got a list of places that sell rotary phone parts.
Thanks! I never even thought of trying that. I've sent an email to a company in Canada that has a part that looks like exactly what I need.

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
out of curiosity, why do you still have a rotary phone? we moved over to touch tone when you couldn't do anything on the phone anymore (ie: calling tech support). There is something textural about them though, that soft clicking in your ear.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
My aunt might possibly still have rotary service, I'm not sure though since they moved... but in their old house they had a few rotary phones and some regular phones but their service was rotary service, so even on the button phones, you heard the click click click... this thread just reminded me of that

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sylorna

out of curiosity, why do you still have a rotary phone? we moved over to touch tone when you couldn't do anything on the phone anymore (ie: calling tech support). There is something textural about them though, that soft clicking in your ear.
.....I was waiting for someone to ask me that. There are a few reasons why I have a rotary phone. One of them is that my house was built in the 20's. While the phone is not from the 20's, it still "goes" with the age of the house. I like old things. I inherited my grandmother's gossip bench. I look forward to setting up the phone on that. Another reason is the ring. You can actually hear it from other rooms in the house. It's not like those bird chirping phones of today. A third reason is that I can still use the phone if the electricity goes out....which is a good thing living in South Louisiana during hurricane season (June 1 through November 30). I do have up to date phones in the house in addition to the rotary.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those, but it's a wall mounted one and it needs the mouth piece speaker. I'd much rather use it if I can ever find the part!! You can hear so much better on them and they last forever!!