Cooking for your cat?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if anyone here cooks soft food for their cat? I love to cook and try and cook a homemade meal every night and wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t mind cooking for the cats. My boyfriendâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s cousin makes dog treats and dog food for people and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s what gave me the ideal.

I know NOTHING about food, and have never researched it and am always impressed by how much you guys know on this issue.

So my question is this: Do you guys cook soft food for your fur babies? Is it recommended? And do you have any recipes? Thereâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s lots on the internet but canâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t trust everything.

Thanks in advanced!

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are some great books out there that include recipes for a variety of meals, including ones for specific ailments. If you decide to cook for your cat regularly, I would strongly suggest investing in one of those books. I've heard good things about "Dr. Pitcairn's [New] Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" and my own vet loaned me a copy of "Home-Prepared Dog & Cat Diets: the Healthful Alternative (Paperback)" when I was interested in making cat food.

I've tried a few recipes and the cats seemed to like them, but I don't like cooking much, so I don't do so regularly.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sierra eats homemade only and Serenity eats mostly homemade. A very important aspect if you choose to go homemade is to make quite sure your kitty gets adequate nutrients. Perhaps you'd want to check out BalanceIt.com. They help you formulate recipes along with the proper vitamin/mineral supplements for your kitty! They'll even give you your first recipe free. Just type in "homemade" as your promo code! They'll give you the recipe of your choice using both their supplement and what you would need to add if using separate supplements. Their Balance It Feline is what my girlies take! https://secure.balanceit.com/_clients2/

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking about trying homecooking again, and was actually just looking at the BalanceIT site. DawnofSierra, how long have you been using it, and do you rotate recipes or stick to one?

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

I've been thinking about trying homecooking again, and was actually just looking at the BalanceIT site. DawnofSierra, how long have you been using it, and do you rotate recipes or stick to one?
We've been using Balance It for probably a couple of years now. We stick to the same basic recipe as far as the chicken, but we rotate the carb..rice, oatmeal, potato... The bottle of supplement is a bit expensive, but it lasts a very long time, and I feel it's worth every penny for my girlies' best health!

Stephanie

snake_lady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was wonderring if anyone else had any recipes?

I wouldn't mind cooking up some treats n' such for my Kizzy.

(just to supplement his dry food and canned food)

thanks

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora and Milo love it when I cook them eggs. They prefer over hard, but will eat scrambled. lol They also love fried ham. I haven't tried anything else with them, though. I mix the cooked eggs in their wet food, and they love it.

ETA - I cook one egg and split it between them, and do that once or twice a week.