Underarm Deodorant Recommendations?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using the white Secret Solid for more years than I can remember, and it works very well.

However, over the last year I have developed an allergy to it. I put it on and I'm ok for a while, but within a couple of hours my arm pits itch like mad!! Even after showering and scrubbing well, there still seems to be a bit of a residue left from the deodorant. However, if I don't reapply the Secret between my showers (only do this if I'm at home), I don't itch. So it is the antiperspirant/deodorant.

I'm large and I tend to perspire quite a bit so I need something that not only is an antiperspirant, but also a deodorant too.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I might try?

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Mitchum for women, the shower fresh scent.

I absolutly love it! When I was younger I always always used Secret, but I had been noticing during the summer time it didnt seem to work so well and it left white residue on me, on my clothes. My mom has used Mitchum her whole life, so I bought some and loved it! Been using it ever since.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have developed problems with the solid form ....not just Secret, others too, but I have switched to the clear gel form and don't have the problems....although they do sting a bit if you razorburn yourself, lol! And Secret clear comes in several yummy scents too!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use to have bad underarm sweats (it happens to skinny people too
) I mean I was to the point I would have to replace shirts every few months because the stains wouldn't come out.

From my personal experiece, I have found that Dove solid is the ONLY deoderant that has worked for me.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When alarms were raised about aluminum in deodorants, I switched to the mineral-salt version. It used to come from France in the form of little roughly-round crystals that you dampened and smoothed on, but now it's made here in liquid roll-on form, and I just love it. Let me check the name...

It's called Naturally Fresh Deodorant Crystal Roll-On, and it's made in Pompano Beach, Florida. Good stuff!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use CRYSTAL DEODERANT while my underarms are still wet from my shower. Then I apply Arrid XX solid, unscented. I've found that it isn't the deodorant/antiperspirant itself that I'm allergic to, it's the scent. Since I've started doing this...maybe 6 or 7 months ago, I haven't had itchy underarms at all (and I was getting to the point where I was scratching myself raw!) The Crystal Deodrant works great to prevent odor, and the Arrid XX solid works great to prevent the wetness.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using the crystal deoderant for over a decade. It is great, all natural, no fragrance, lasts forever, plus you are not risking your life using it.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have VERY sensitive skin, and have had that same problem! What I've found that works for me is Dove Invisible Solid Sensitive Skin! There's also the all natural crystal deodorant sticks that are terrific and don't irritate my skin, and I really like that they're natural! Perhaps you'd want to give one or both of these a try!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Wesley's Mom

I use Degree for women. I find it works very well.
That's what I use currently. I also like Dove deodorant. I've got very sensitive skin, so those are the only two that I can use that don't irritate my skin. They both work very well for me.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I currently use Lady Speed Stick Invisible Dry... I have also used Secret. I usually buy either of the two, depends if it is on sale or if I have a coupon.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Secret solid for me, I love their vanilla one. I use the Secret clinical strength one after my evening shower before bed as well. (Clinical Strength works best if used right before bedtime when your body is cooler, so it says in the instructions.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems the Dove one has a few votes, so I'll try that.

I used to buy the Secret Sporty Clean but I haven't been able to find it anywhere and have been getting the Baby Powder scent. I think that is the problem because when I used the Sport Clean I didn't have any issues at all.

With the Secret Baby Powder solid, I have been known to use my cat's wire brush and rake at my under arms because they are so itchy.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have sensitive armpits too; I'm not sure exactly what I'm allergic to, if it's alcohol or something else, but I used Tom's of Maine solid for a long time. For the past couple of years, I've been using Almay hypo-allergenic. It comes in gel and roll-on and neither one makes me itch and break out. It's a little hard to find sometimes. Walgreen's around me has it sporadically, so whenever I find it, I buy all they have. Looks like you can also get it on drugstore.com, if you search for "Almay deodorant".

It's the only hypo-allergenic anti-perspirant I have found. Usually they're just a deodorant. I really don't sweat too heavily, but was amazed to find out what a difference it made to use an anti-perspirant.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sydney

I use Mitchum for women, the shower fresh scent.

I absolutly love it! When I was younger I always always used Secret, but I had been noticing during the summer time it didnt seem to work so well and it left white residue on me, on my clothes. My mom has used Mitchum her whole life, so I bought some and loved it! Been using it ever since.
I also use Mitchum, but the regular kind (not the one specifically for women). When I was younger I perspired heavily and nothing worked, til I tried the Mitchum. I can't imagine using anything else at this point.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Secret Platinum the Lavender Fields scent..It is a clear gel so there is no residue..

However if allergies are a problem my sister swears by the Arm and Hammer One that has baking powder in it..Also my niece who is very allergic uses Johnson's Baby Powder with Corn Starch..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

I use Secret Platinum the Lavender Fields scent..It is a clear gel so there is no residue..
that's what i use, except in the vanilla scent.