TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › i officially hate my job (long rant)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

i officially hate my job (long rant)

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I know i just started this job about 3 weeks ago or so, but i already hate it, almost to the point where i am in tears just having to force myself to go. And to be honest its not the work, its the people i work with. The waitresses seam ok for the most part, however there is one of them that i can not stand, she thinks she is the most beautiful thing on earth and that everyone should bow to her. She acts like she is the barbie of the human world, when infact her attitude makes her hideous(sp). I made the mistake of not knowing her name and she has hated me since, she makes little remarks behind my back when she thinks i am not listening and acts snotty if i do have to deal with her.

(ah how cute, callie killed my new kitchen scrubber!)

Then we have the kitchen staff, where do i begin, Mo is pretty nice, and so far one of the only ones i can stand to be around. D is a royal WITCH! She does little crappy things to irritate everyone and thinks she is the boss, she is the one the boss warned me about before i started the job. She does things like flip her ponytail in your face "accidently", spill ketchup or bbq sauce on you "accidently", spray you with hot water from the sink "accidently" and the other night actually had the nerve to walk up and shove me. I freaked out and yelled at her, not too loud, but loud enough to get my point across, and all i said was "oh no, you will NOT shove me, dont EVER touch me". Luckely Mo was standing beside me and saw the whole thing. The rest of the day was pure hell. She waited until the boss got back and started a big ol scene in front of customers and everything. She actually LIED and said i was screaming at the top of my voice and lied about what i had said and that she never touched me. Mo came to my rescue and told her she saw her shove me, even the boss went after her, called her a "BOLD FACED LIAR" and told her she has done that to everyone including herself(the boss) and she needed to shut up. This yelling match happened right in the kitchen door in front of customers. Several customers watching the whole thing actually got up and left. D started yelling at the boss that i have a problem with her and that i always make faces at her and talk behind her back. I dont even know the chick outside work and i intend to keep it that way, what would i have to talk about, and i never do anything to her cept try to avoid her like we were all cautioned to do. It ended by D having to leave and the boss trying to console me and talk me out of quiting (which i had no intent on doing at that point). Now D either is extreamly rude and hatefull or she puts me doing side work so she dont have to "deal with my attitude". I still think i should have socked her when she shoved me! Stupid people!

Next is Brice, the only guy that works there. He isnt like rude or anything but i think he tries to flirt only it comes across as ignorance. Like he asked me how old i was, i told him 31, "oh really, me too", and everything he askes me he gives the same responce "oh really, me too", The other night we were talking about movies and he looks up at me and says "see we really aint that different". he knows i have a bf, he even met Roman, but he still keeps it up. he has even started asking me to give him a ride home, which i didnt mind, its only like 4 blocks, but now it makes me feel wierd because of his constant "oh really, me too"!

Then is Angel, who seams to tollerate me a little better since me and D got into it the other night, but in general is pretty hatefull herself.

Then there is Jane. An older lady, in her 60's who is sweet as can be, but i sware she grabbed my butt the other night, she walks past me and i dont know that she meant to, but she litterally grabbed and squeezed my buttcheeck! I am still a bit freaked out by this.

Oh yea, and the real barbie doll of the place is a waitress who is so beautiful and sweet, but recently found out she is preggo again, so now she is constently whining about not being able to smoke, gaining weight etc...

By the end of my shift i just wish i could walk out and watch a tornado rip the whole place to bits, just so i would never have to deal with those people again.
post #2 of 14
Is changing jobs an option?
post #3 of 14
Keep this in mind.

The reason people pay you to work is because if they didn't, no one would do it. I've never found a job yet that didn't have boring, annoying, aggravating, even downright hellacious times, and those are the reasons you get paid.

However, one important point. If you don't like that job, keep working at it while you find another one. It is MUCH easier to find a job when you have one, than it is to find one when you're unemployed.
post #4 of 14
Have you sat down and talked to your boss about these issues? If your boss is fully aware of the situation and doesn't let the problem people go or at least puts them in check (cause in this day and age its not like he'll have a hard time finding someone new), then I'd say its time to find a new job.

If the employees are running the place and not your boss, then it's a poorly managed restaurant; find something new.
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
Keep this in mind.

The reason people pay you to work is because if they didn't, no one would do it. I've never found a job yet that didn't have boring, annoying, aggravating, even downright hellacious times, and those are the reasons you get paid.

However, one important point. If you don't like that job, keep working at it while you find another one. It is MUCH easier to find a job when you have one, than it is to find one when you're unemployed.
I second that! Every job has it's good and bad points. And if you are unhappy in one area of the job you tend to focus only on the negative about it instead of the positive.

Surely there is some positives about working there?

I have a rule of thumb about places I work. I go to work, do my job and mind my own business. I'm there to work, not make friends or find a boy friend. I leave my personal problems at the door when I go to work, and when I leave work problems at the door when I get home.

My advice is to do the same. Go to work. Do your job. Be cordial and respectful to everyone while you are there. And when you're done your shift, go home and forget about the place.

You can't change what people say or do, but you do have the power to change how you react to it. Choose to not react, because once you show your weakness there are some who will do their best to keep pushing your buttons. Smile, be nice and polite and helpful, even if some aren't the same way in return.
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca View Post
I second that! Every job has it's good and bad points. And if you are unhappy in one area of the job you tend to focus only on the negative about it instead of the positive.

Surely there is some positives about working there?

I have a rule of thumb about places I work. I go to work, do my job and mind my own business. I'm there to work, not make friends or find a boy friend. I leave my personal problems at the door when I go to work, and when I leave work problems at the door when I get home.

My advice is to do the same. Go to work. Do your job. Be cordial and respectful to everyone while you are there. And when you're done your shift, go home and forget about the place.

You can't change what people say or do, but you do have the power to change how you react to it. Choose to not react, because once you show your weakness there are some who will do their best to keep pushing your buttons. Smile, be nice and polite and helpful, even if some aren't the same way in return.
While all of that is true, it is absolutely EXHAUSTING to have to do all of that and you are human and it is really hard to be a machine like that. And frankly, it doesn't always work. People like will find ways and even lie to get at you. I know, I've been there. Try to find something else. Most workplaces are toxic, but you should not be abused.
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddieBee View Post
While all of that is true, it is absolutely EXHAUSTING to have to do all of that and you are human and it is really hard to be a machine like that. And frankly, it doesn't always work. People like will find ways and even lie to get at you. I know, I've been there. Try to find something else. Most workplaces are toxic, but you should not be abused.
I agree...I've had my limits for places I've worked at...when you get to the point that you can't even fathom the thought about having to go in, then its time to move on.

No place will have perfection to work at where everyone is a team and reads each others minds and are respectful and courteous to each other. There will always be that one rotten apple. The difference in choosing to move on is when there are more rotten apples on the tree then there are good apples.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunasmom View Post
No place will have perfection to work at where everyone is a team and reads each others minds and are respectful and courteous to each other. There will always be that one rotten apple. The difference in choosing to move on is when there are more rotten apples on the tree then there are good apples.
That's the whole reason why I looked for and found another job that I start on Monday. The last place I worked had more than it's fair share of rotten apples ,and I was sick of it. Life is too short to be that miserable, so I'm hoping on Monday I find out that the new place has more nice apples than rotten ones! Keep looking! You'll find a job that you feel is a nicer place to work.
post #9 of 14
You wrote that so well I was getting into the characters and visualizing what was taking place.

Toxic people can really drag you down and make you miserable. Sounds like you need to change jobs. If the job is so bad it makes you cry it's not worth it.

Before you quit dump a bottle of ketchup on D
post #10 of 14
Can I ask why D is still there when the manager knows she tries to intimidate and bully everyone, including her?? When I worked in a restaurant if someone was causing that many problems she would have been gone. To me, it sounds like the manager is not in control of the staff.

Barbie...well, you're going to find at least one everywhere you work, and she will always annoy the heck of of you. Just ignore her. She's not going to change.

Brice...I think he's harmless. Stupid, but harmless. For fun, next time you work with him and he starts talking to you, tell him you have really bad menstral cramps and see if he says "oh yeah, me too"!

I agree with Natalie. Go in to work, do your job to the best of your ability, and go home. Don't get into the politics or dramas (every job has them). It's hard in a restaurant where there is conflict among the crew because everyone has to work as a team, but be better than they are and just do your job. And, if you're that unhappy continue looking for another job. Just don't quit this one before you find something else. Good luck!
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post

Brice...I think he's harmless. Stupid, but harmless. For fun, next time you work with him and he starts talking to you, tell him you have really bad menstral cramps and see if he says "oh yeah, me too"!

Or say that when you had your last mammogram, it really hurt and see if he says he has had one.

But I would talk to your manager. Every place has their rotten apples. One girl that sits near me refuses to talk to me. Don't know why, but she dislikes me with a passion. I used to buy my Avon from her even though she didn't like me. When I found that one of the other ladies sold Avon, I started buying from her. You should have seen the dirty look she gave me when I was getting my Avon from the other lady in the parking lot. If you don't talk to me or want to associate with me, why should I buy from you? A lot of people feel that way it seems.

She is the one that got the promotion over me. I took the upper road and congratulated her. The best thing is, she needs to move her desk and a couple of my friends are up for HER position. Hope one of them get it.
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbycats View Post
You wrote that so well I was getting into the characters and visualizing what was taking place.
Good writing, but... bad place. These people sound outright crazy! And no matter how professional and detached you may be, it's impossible to stay out of the fray if some nutjob is determined to harrass you.

If I were you, I would go line up another job. Life is too short to work in a place where open hostility is tolerated.
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia View Post
Good writing, but... bad place. These people sound outright crazy! And no matter how professional and detached you may be, it's impossible to stay out of the fray if some nutjob is determined to harrass you.

If I were you, I would go line up another job. Life is too short to work in a place where open hostility is tolerated.
That's what I meant, as well. Well said, again, Carol.
post #14 of 14
Ahh, I know the feeling. When I was working for Post, there was a variety of characters that loved to cause trouble. But there was another set of people that I loved to hang around with - granted, they were old men, but they had the best attitudes - always laughing - I love to laugh and so I was happier with them.

Another job fell in my lap and I took it and I am working alone but in an office where I know everyone well and I love it.

I wasn't actively looking for another job at that point, even though the hours were killing me and I decided to apply for one but a completely different one came up and I took it.

Keep your eyes open but always remember, in every workplace, there are people that you like and people you don't like. That is life.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › i officially hate my job (long rant)