I am freaking out

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
Ok, this evening is just too much for me.

After going to a conference and listening to genocide survivors tell their stories, I was emotionally drained and came home.

I lied down, watched cartoons and eventually fell asleep. A few minutes ago, I am awakened by the phone. I answer and hear a voice I don't recognize. The person on the phone told me he had the flu. Because I was confused by being just awakened, I thought it was my grampa. I was a little freaked out that he sounded so different, and told me that he was just thinking about me and wanted to talk to me. Something about the way he spoke was weird. It didn't sound like the way my grampa would talk but I couldn't think of who else it could be.

He kept asking strange questions and I answered, although I became more and more hesitant. As I was waking up, I realized it wasn't my grampa. I had no idea who it was. It was a stranger, asking me what I was doing, telling me that he wished I was beside him, etc.

I hung up.

At least I didn't tell him I was alone and he didn't call back.

This is just too much for one evening. I just want to get some sleep.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you *69 the number? If you haven't made or received any other calls, I would try it. It won't call it back, just give you the number (unless he's blocked it). If you do get the number, I would seriously call the police and report it. It's probably some idiot doing a prank call, but it IS scary to be on the other end of a prank call like that!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate those phone calls! We get them at work sometimes. The *69 works really good for finding out the number that called. Then I google the number. If that doesn't work there is reverse look up

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember back when I was 14 years old I was living alone. Actually, I lived with my Mom, but she was in the hospital which left me living alone for many weeks and months at a time. One evening I answered the phone. I think it was a Friday. The guy on the phone claimed he was "Jean Simmons" (from Kiss). Kiss was in town and some idiot decided to try and drop his name in his prank call. He kept insisting he wanted to come over. I was bored and decided to have a bit of fun. So I engaged him in conversation. He kept insisting he should come over for coffee. Finally after about 5 minutes or so I moved the phone away from my mouth and yelled "Honey! Jean Simmons wants to come over for coffee. Do you mind?"
The next thing I heard was a click and then a dial tone.

Do you have "call trace"? You could trace the call and report it to the police.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I remember back when I was 14 years old I was living alone. Actually, I lived with my Mom, but she was in the hospital which left me living alone for many weeks and months at a time. One evening I answered the phone. I think it was a Friday. The guy on the phone claimed he was "Jean Simmons" (from Kiss). Kiss was in town and some idiot decided to try and drop his name in his prank call. He kept insisting he wanted to come over. I was bored and decided to have a bit of fun. So I engaged him in conversation. He kept insisting he should come over for coffee. Finally after about 5 minutes or so I moved the phone away from my mouth and yelled "Honey! Jean Simmons wants to come over for coffee. Do you mind?"
The next thing I heard was a click and then a dial tone.

Do you have "call trace"? You could trace the call and report it to the police.
that's funny. I'll have to try something like that if it happens again.

I tried *69 and it said the number could not be traced.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh man that is scary!!! I hope you can find a way to calm down, relax and get some sleep.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had creepy phone calls like that. Just try to relax and get some sleep. Whoever it was won't call back b/c you were on to him eventually. People like that get their jollies out of freaking people.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be freaked out too. But, honestly, it really could have been an older person with the flu who was confused and dialed the number wrong. He might have honestly thought he was speaking to his own granddaughter. I once had a 10 minute conversation with someone I thought was my grandmother (she sounded a little funny, but I just thought she had a cold) and went over all the what are you doing, what's been going on things and we had a great conversation until I asked how granddad was doing. Long pause. Then "who is this again?". I told her my name and she didn't know me from adam. Her husband died years before. She just assumed I was her granddaughter but I dialed the number wrong.

I would check it out, but as long as he didn't want to come over, or you go over there or make any kind of suggestive comments I wouldn't really worry about it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Years ago, I had someone like that who called several times over a period of a week or so. About the third time he called, I finally got smart and started pretending I couldn't hear him -- saying, "Hello?" again while he was talking, etc.

That technique has since worked on everyone else who's bothered me, but it didn't stop this guy -- he kept calling back the next day!

So finally, when he called three times in a row one afternoon, I just said, "Listen Dave, if this is you, I'm on my way over to the stationhouse -- just tell the lieutenant on the desk that I said to put you through. I don't know what's wrong with this phone, but I'll talk to you at the station before I go out on patrol, okay?"

Never another ring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are too funny. I should have known you'd come up with great ideas for dealing with weirdos.

Looking back at it and other encounters with creeps, I'm always surprised of how polite I always try to be. I almost felt bad for hanging up on that guy yesterday.

Maybe he was just confused, but I don't think it was really an old man. He just sounded like one because he was almost whispering.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One time back in college, my roommate's friend called. She started to talking to me and wouldn't shut up. Finally I just said "Hold on I think you want Kris..." She claims that Kris and I sound exactly alike

Perhaps its was just a misdialed number and they thought that you were the person they were trying to reach.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

that's funny. I'll have to try something like that if it happens again.

I tried *69 and it said the number could not be traced.
If you really do live alone, I would call the police. The fact that the number can't be traced leads me to believe that it is not a person with the wrong number but one who has yours.