Dallas-area members! Two questions...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First question: shall we plan a get-together one of these days -- perhaps in June, when Miss Mew comes down from Canada for her training at American Airlines? If so, is there anyone who would like to spearhead that effort?

(If no one else wants to take it on, I will... and I promise not to let it fall by the wayside as I did when this first came up last year.
)

Second question: While I have your attention -- does anyone in the area have, by any chance, an old Mac OS 9 Installer disk I could buy, rent, or borrow within the next few days?

Yes, I just hijacked my own thread. Sorry. But I'm desperate, and I thought I would try you folks before I go to eBay...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That would be fun. However, we'll be gone for most of the second week in June.

Arrange it, and I'll bring the noisy little show-off car.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

First question: shall we plan a get-together one of these days -- perhaps in June, when Miss Mew comes down from Canada for her training at American Airlines? If so, is there anyone who would like to spearhead that effort?

(If no one else wants to take it on, I will... and I promise not to let it fall by the wayside as I did when this first came up last year.
)

Second question: While I have your attention -- does anyone in the area have, by any chance, an old Mac OS 9 Installer disk I could buy, rent, or borrow within the next few days?

Yes, I just hijacked my own thread. Sorry. But I'm desperate, and I thought I would try you folks before I go to eBay...
Well, I am moving a long way away. To Farmers Branch!
You sound like a good spearhead. I will come. We have to be able to show off our cats, off course.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't want to 'spearhead' but i'll come - just say when & where!
and pretty much anytime during the summer is A-ok w/me - except for the end of july. oh, & the end of august, when school is starting.

can't help w/the OS9 disk, tho - my old mac was running 7.5... i think, & the new one is 10.5.2
have you checked here?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, I'm beginning to remember why the get-together bogged down... it's so hard for us all to find an opening in our schedules! Let me work on a way to organize a calendar.

Meanwhile -- thanks, Laureen, for that link. I thought for a moment that it meant they were making OS 9 available online, but no such luck.
The problem is this: a little over a year ago, my trusty old Mac G3, which was running OS 8.4.6, fell so far behind the times that it could no longer maneuver the internet... so I had to get a Mac Mini and OS 10.4.8, which I did, and all was well.

Except that everything I'd ever done on computer up to that point was trapped in my old Mac -- which is so old it doesn't even have USB ports, and can't burn a CD... so I haven't been able to get at any of it. This includes my entire professional portfolio and my half-finished novel... the former of which I need in order to find a job, and the latter of which will never see the light of day anyhow, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I now have a rented router hooked up between the two computers, ready to begin the long-awaited data transfer from G3 to Mini -- but when my Mac-expert friend in Indiana got on the phone to talk me through the process, it didn't work, and he realized that the G3 needs to be running OS 9, or the router won't even recognize it.
So that's why I'm hunting dinosaurs.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
ok, then, i actually think i can help! i have a separate floppy drive that has a USB port... i copied stuff from my dino Mac [7.5, remember?] onto the floppies, then plugged the floppy drive into my macbook, & downloaded the stuff onto the new mac. works great except for stuff that's only supported on the mac classic interface
like my solitaire game, cursors, etc. but did fine for all of my kitty icons
i got the drive from La Cie, & it wasn't real expensive. just checked & added the link - now showing at $29

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well you guys know I'm in
I'll let you know for sure what works for me in a month or so

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Darn....I'm in Michigan!
That's where my family is from, originally.

Every time I go up there (in the winter), I remember why I moved south!

So...when can we expect you down here?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow... a regional get-together would be fun! Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, So. Ontario... hmmmmm.....

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, thank you for looking that up, Laureen! But a lot of the documents I need to transfer are graphics that are much too big to fit on a floppy. I'm afraid I'll just have to give this router back and re-rent it later, once I've found the installer I need.

I remember the good old days... we had this thing called paper...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Aw, thank you for looking that up, Laureen! But a lot of the documents I need to transfer are graphics that are much too big to fit on a floppy. I'm afraid I'll just have to give this router back and re-rent it later, once I've found the installer I need.

I remember the good old days... we had this thing called paper...
what about cds?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom of 4, thank you, that's a great idea -- I'll email that fellow and see if he can suggest anything.

Laureen, my old G3 can't burn CDs, drat it, or all of this would be solved.
However... I've been taking my friend's word for it that there is no such thing as a CD burner with a Mac classic plug or adapter. But it can't hurt to doublecheck him on that! I'll see what I can find online. Thanks!