Personality Question

kansas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well in my search for a Cat for a friend it has peaked my curiosity as to what breed has the best personality? Which one has the most laid back attitude? Sweet and likes to be held? Is there such a Kitty?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never had one, but if you want a calm cat, I've heard the Ragdoll is that way.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything depends on the individual cat. We have a bunch of domestics here with a range of personality, only one really likes being held and cuddling, while the rest prefer not to.

I agree about you and your friend going out and "test driving" a couple of cats...usually animals pick you rather you pick them...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kansas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took the test according to what I would want in a cat and the Ragdoll and Birman were the top 2...lol

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand that Persians are VERY sweet, laid-back, and loving.

ETA: Looks like a Ragdoll would be a good choice for me, LOL!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, mine were several - but one of the best matches was american shorthair... with moggies, in the u.s., that's basically what i have!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persians or Exotics are pretty laid back, don't know if they like being held though. I've had breeders and owners say they're not too bright.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also "best personality" means a lot of different things to different people.

For me that'd be a loony of a cat that has funny antics and makes you laugh, is active and energetic and a bit of a live wire, really likes playing and doesn't really ever grow out of the kitten crazies properly and I don't mind rearranging my life to suit the cat's needs.

That means I'm very happy with my Bengal and I think I'll always own a Bengal, but I know they're not for everyone.

As for being laidback and sweet, odds are best if you go and adopt an older cat. Kittens are blank slates and all kittens are active and rather manic. It's hard to predict the personality of the adult cat by seeing the kitten. Breeds will narrow things down a bit but still the variation in personalities in cats in the same breed can be bigger than the differences between breeds on average.

Also you can't forget that cats aren't live, warm and furry cuddle machines. They are small predators and with all the instincts and needs that comes with that, even the really laid back ones

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Persian, who is at the Rainbow Bridge now, was very laid back. He had a wonderful personality but was not a lap cat. He preferred to be next to you instead of on your lap. But the grooming requirements are very high.

My 2 Somalis are completely different in personalities. Veeshan fits the breed personality description perfectly. On the other hand Kingston does not.

Veeshan was not a lap cat at all but for the last few months she has turned into one. Maybe now that she is 3 years she is completely mature? Veeshan also has the most energy in my house, finds the highest places to explore, and is very dominate to the other cats. Veeshan literally bounces of the walls with energy.

Kingston started out as a lap cat and then was not. Now Kingston will sleep on my lap but nobody else's. Kingston is nothing like Veeshan even though they are the same breed.

The most loving cat I have ever had was my Willow. Willow is now at the Rainbow Bridge. She was just a domestic longhair. She was also a dominate cat and never got along with Veeshan. Willow also had a lot of energy like Veeshan. But no cat that I have now tops her loving personality.

There is no breed of cat that has the best personality. There are no guarantees not even within breeds. Lap cats can be found in all breeds. Most cats are not lap cats. Energy wise is probably the most you can predict between breeds (and looks and size of course).

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would definitely consider a Persian or Exotic if you're looking for a very sweet, lovable, even tempered, lap cat. My Persian is a complete love dove, always wants to be with her people and is extremely affectionate. She loves stretching out on laps to have her belly rubbed or being brushed. She loves kisses and is just a very sweet, calm cat. She is also a rescue - at less than 2yrs old I am her 3rd owner! If a cat that has been shuffled around so much is that wonderful, think of what a great kitten you'd be getting from a breeder.
Siamese are also very much lap cats, exceptionally affectionate, and they adore their owners.
As for the test, I got Colorpoint Shorthair, Siamese, Oriental, Balinese, & Javanese! I always knew Siamese was the perfect match for me.

tallulah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a ragdoll and 2 DSH, my ragdoll is adorable very laid back but not a lap cat although she follows me all over, one of my DSH is a real lap cat.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Siggav

Also "best personality" means a lot of different things to different people.

For me that'd be a loony of a cat that has funny antics and makes you laugh, is active and energetic and a bit of a live wire, really likes playing and doesn't really ever grow out of the kitten crazies properly and I don't mind rearranging my life to suit the cat's needs.
The sort of personality I consider ideal is an active cat who's lively, energetic and curious, and retains kittenish behaviour well into adult life. I have a Somali and he pretty much matches the Somali breed description and then some. He's very curious and lively, and doesn't sleep much. Laid back he is not! Cats like that tend not to be lap cats because they're far too busy for that kind of thing
but it doesn't mean they can't be affectionate. When Mosi does finally stop for a breather, he likes nothing better than to come onto my lap for a cuddle. I don't think a Somali matches what you're looking for, but in my experience they are very friendly and sweet natured cats if you can cope with the livelier temperament!

In general, cats with a cobbier build tend to be more chilled and laid back than those with a more slender, tubular build. Longer haired cats also tend to be a bit calmer than those with short hair. So if you want a laid back cat, I would look at Persians and Exotics and cats with a similar build. From what I've heard, Ragdolls tend to be very sweet natured. But bear in mind there are always exceptions, and individuals will vary in temperament. A good breeder will be able to tell you what sort of temperament individual kittens are likely to have. When I got Mosi I was warned by the breeder that he was the liveliest and most dominant one in the litter, and that he would be a particularly lively Somali. She wasn't wrong!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And if you get a kitten, particularly from a slowly maturing breed such as Maine Coon or Ragdoll, that does mean they will be kittens for a very long time, LOL!
My Smudge isn't much like I thought a Ragdoll would be, but I'll bet in a couple more years he will be.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

The sort of personality I consider ideal is an active cat who's lively, energetic and curious, and retains kittenish behaviour well into adult life. I have a Somali and he pretty much matches the Somali breed description and then some. He's very curious and lively, and doesn't sleep much. Laid back he is not! Cats like that tend not to be lap cats because they're far too busy for that kind of thing
but it doesn't mean they can't be affectionate.
My ideal personality differs again, I like high-activity levels and the kind of cat that barely leaves your side! I found that in the Oriental, the slender rex breeds and sphynxes are like that too. Despite being a loyal and highly affectionate velcro cat, the Oriental is not at all laid back - lively and attention-seeking and emotionally 'high maintenance'- they're sensitive souls and can become upset if left alone or by routine changes such as changes in their human's work patterns etc.

As well as the breeds already suggested to the OP, I would also add British Shorthair and Selkirk Rex - easy going mellow cats who tend to take things in their stride, whilst enjoying human company.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
For personality, I love Maine Coons, The males are big, goofy teddy bears. I always say they're like the perfect man: big, tough, sturdy, strong, manly, but a marshmallow deep down! They're the perfect cat , in my opinion. Big, strong, sort of wild-looking, healthy, but yet are sooo sweet in nature, and fun to be with. (The females seem to be a bit more dignified, though Jasmine turns into a most undignified one when she's on the 'nip--if she could only see herself!
)

In fact, 3 of my boys are just now tearing through the study as I'm typing. They're such fun kitties! A bit naughty, but not a mean bone in their big, sturdy bodies. (BJ is a teddy bear--he cries for, and gets, hugs at least once a day.) They are the most affectionate cats, in my opinion. They're also very smart--I've heard they have the IQ of a 3-year old human--which, for another animal, is amazing.

Of course, it all depends on how you define "personality", and what you want from a cat. For example, it's always said that Maines will be be your buddy, your friend, but never your baby. Not sure I agree with that! Two of my boys are certainly Mommy's boys! Some people want a cat who's "Velcro"; this would annoy others.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

And if you get a kitten, particularly from a slowly maturing breed such as Maine Coon or Ragdoll, that does mean they will be kittens for a very long time, LOL!
My Smudge isn't much like I thought a Ragdoll would be, but I'll bet in a couple more years he will be.
Oh, yes! Three of my Maine Coons just turned 2 last month. Still in the kitten phase!
And, they're still growing, especially Smudge. I think, in a year or so, we could saddle him up, and rent him out for pony rides to the neighborhood kids! I think Maines keep growing for about 3 years or so (?)--I know it's very long timem at any rate.

BTW, I have a Smudge also, but's he's a Maine Coon. A very naughty Maine Coon...he reminds me of a young pony, galloping throughout the house. These guys have tons of energy! Your Smudge is GORGEOUS! I've never had a Ragdoll, but know someone who did--they sound like delightful cats, and they're so very pretty, too.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Oh, yes! Three of my Maine Coons just turned 2 last month. Still in the kitten phase!
And, they're still growing, especially Smudge. I think, in a year or so, we could saddle him up, and rent him out for pony rides to the neighborhood kids! I think Maines keep growing for about 3 years or so (?)--I know it's very long timem at any rate.

BTW, I have a Smudge also, but's he's a Maine Coon. A very naughty Maine Coon...he reminds me of a young pony, galloping throughout the house. These guys have tons of energy! Your Smudge is GORGEOUS! I've never had a Ragdoll, but know someone who did--they sound like delightful cats, and they're so very pretty, too.
I need to see a picture of your Smudge!!! I was really looking into getting a Maine Coon until my Smudge came into my life.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with whoever recommend an adult cat. They will generally be much more docile and laid back. If you're looking for a purebred adult cat, I'd check with breeders in your area as they may have adults available. You can also try shelters and breed rescue groups, and this Retired Friends rescue website:
http://www.breedlist.com/retired/index.html

Hey, I just took that cat breed test and surprise surprise, it told me I was a 98% match with the new kitten in the house (Maine Coon!) I got even higher results for a Norwegian Forest Cat, 99%. The results said 95% for Siberian which is another breed I had been considering, and 95% with the one I have always said was my favorite, the Turkish Van. Interestingly enough it also gave me a high match with the two breeds I recently became interested in and have been researching more about, the Japanese Bobtail(93%) and the American Curl (96%). I was thinking of getting a non-curly Curl in the future...

Off topic, can someone tell me what this gorgeous Bengal coloration is called? Link: http://animal.discovery.com/breedsel...ile.do?id=1050