Aaaaaa! Why Can't I Say No????

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to decorate cakes for a hobby. Stupid me. I made a birthday cake for a gal at work, and decorated it real pretty. Mistake number one.

Another gal at work asked me if I could make a cake for her son's first communion. Stupid me. I said yes. Mistake number two.

She wants a two layer, 8 inch square white cake/white frosting. How in the name of God am I supposed to write '1st Communion Alex' on an 8 inch square cake, in frosting????

I guess I need to write "1st" in one corner, "communion" diagonally beneath it, from corner to corner, and "Alex" in the other corner, beneath "communion".....In very small writing.

Oh, and to top it off, she wants me to write "Go Packers" in green and gold on the side!!!

I need to stand in front of the mirror and practice saying "NO!!!"

If it looks okay when I'm finished, I'll post a picture. If not, I'll throw it at the wall and let the cats eat it, call her and plead insanity!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Call her and tell her you can't fit all that on such a small cake, and suggest a sheet cake. She's being unrealistic.

One of my former students loved to bake and decorate cakes, and a classmate asked him to make a Sponge Bob cake for her son's birthday. The poor guy must have spent about a week planning it, and hours decorating. About a half hour after the birthday party started, a toy soccer ball landed on the table, right in the middle of the cake.

I think of that every time somebody mentions decorating cakes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well...I got it done. The green and gold "Go Packers" looks kind of silly on a 1st Communion cake, but what the heck!

Once I get the mess cleaned up, I'll post a pic.

I really need to learn how to say no!!!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not write it as:

1st Communion
Alex

Use one of those tubes of gel icing that has a really fine dispensing tip and write small?

*Alex should be centred under the 1st Communion*

EDIT: Ooops. I see you made the cake. Looks great!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I'm impressed! That looks really great - though I do agree it does look kinda silly to say "Go Packers" on the side of an all white 1st communion cake.

Hey Kelly Jo - can you make a cake for me? (I'll make you practice...
)

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

If not, I'll throw it at the wall and let the cats eat it, call her and plead insanity!
I couldnt help but laugh!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aww it looks great!! but.. can I ask why "1st Communion Alex" is written in White.. on white?? its kinda hard to read.
But otherwise looks great!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

can I ask why "1st Communion Alex" written in White.. on white??
Because the lady she made it for has exquisite taste, and knew that the subtlety of white-on-white frosting would allow Kelli's intricate decorative work to be shown off in the most graceful manner.

And then the lady lost her mind and asked for the Packers thing.
Nobody's perfect.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelli Jo - looks great. And repeat after me : nnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!!

(But don't say that to me. My birthday is in July, BTW!!
and I don't live too far away!!!
)

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Because the lady she made it for has exquisite taste, and knew that the subtlety of white-on-white frosting would allow Kelli's intricate decorative work to be shown off in the most graceful manner.

And then the lady lost her mind and asked for the Packers thing.
Nobody's perfect.
You gave me a good laugh. Actually I think the white on white is perfect for a communion. It's a beautiful cake and it's easy to see why everyone asks for you to make them. Heck, if I lived closer I'd ask you to make all my cakes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

At one point I was baking and decorating 2 or 3 cakes a month! I had to stop to preserve my sanity, and I really haven't done much cake decorating for several years now. I guess I still have it in me, lol!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks beautiful! No wonder you get asked all the time!

I get a newsletter for a needlework group, and one of the topics recently was how to say no to people who ask you to make special, intricate pieces for them. One of the best answers (I thought) was to offer to teach them how to do it themselves. Just a thought!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before you listen to Kim's advice.... I'd like to put my request in too

Do you ship?

All kidding aside, beautiful job! and I like the white on white too - sans the Packers