Newbie to this site and cats

ishmael

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone.
This is my first time here.
I do not have any cats, however, my girlfriend has three. We are to marry this year Nov. and she will move in with me in my home.
I was never raised with cats, but she has lived with them all her life. She has indoor/outdoor cats and it was something I had to definitely get use to. Her current home layout is not cat friendly. The cats has access to every room in the house except the rooms that has doors; she keeps them close. I have accepted the cats (a package deal), however I don't pet them as often as she would like for me too. All I think about are cat germs. I have learn that her cats have different personalities, tolerants, meows, and they are funny animals too. I find myself dangling the cat toy... (okay, I play with them) and watching them more than I watch the TV. But the litterbox is off limits. I need to wear a gas mask and heavy duty latex gloves to deal with the box.

I am going to add on to my house a room (Cat Room) and build an enclosure for them outside. It will also have several cat condos. I'm trying hard, but I have concerns too. I will put them in another posting to keep from being long winded. Talk with you all soon.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Welcome!! Trust me, once you guys move in together you will be a full out cat lover. You remind me of my boyfriend when I first mentioned cats to him, and first brought in a stray. He was talking about hair, germs, dirty, smelly, didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want one, would ruin his stuff, hated the idea totally.

Fast forward to today. Every day he comes home and holds both cats in turns like a baby and baby talks them, snuggles, by the time I get home all I get are obnoxious fur balls. He sleeps while cuddling them, buys them toys, he will be uncomfortable to make them happy. Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s just a total turn around.

Cats are hard to resist =)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My wife had only a passing knowledge of cats when we got married, too, but now (after 35 years), she's quite the cat lover, too.

There is a really neat web site about a "cat house" that someone built that has all kinds of ledges, passageways, etc., all over the house for the cats. I think it's great that you'll build a place for them. Letting them only go outside in an enclosure will keep them safe from many of the "outside" dangers that can kill them way too young.

There's not much you can catch from a cat, although your girlfriend should be careful about the litter box if she gets pregnant, due to a disease called toxoplasmosis.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Welcome to TheCatSite

I am so glad that you have joined our wonderful community of caring people who love and respect cats. As you learn your way around our site, if you have questions, I would be happy to help you. Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name, then send a Private Message. I will get back to you asap.
Please make yourself at home.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hola y bienvenido a TCS, ...Catulina
y Milky
te saludan!!!

(Translate: Hi and Welcome to TCS, Catulina and Milky say hello to you!!!...
)

See you on the forums!

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations! And welcome!

I know what you mean about the litter boxes... cleaning them is a labor of love.
When you get to really like the cats, it's not quite so yucky.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to tcs. You will soon love the cats, as you say you can't help playing with them. I only have one cat but I empty the solid waste as soon as she goes & also wet patches 2-3 times a day. It can all depend on the type of food they eat & what brand of litter she uses.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! You have found the best cat site around!

We have a lot of support and advice to give here. Our members are always ready and willing to help you or just chat with you. We also have a game called KatKwiz (cat quiz), designed for newcomers just like yourself, which teaches you things about The Cat Site and also allows you to win lots of points. (It also teaches you what points are.) Just click on the here link below to learn more. Glad you decided to join us!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

When you get to really like the cats, it's not quite so yucky.
it's still yucky - but you love them so much, you do it anyway!
welcome to TCS!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome! Be nice to them and they will give you lots of love
You're wife-to-be is used to cleaning the litter, so let her do it

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there
we're so happy to get the chance to welcome you and your soon-to-be furfamily to TCS. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay with us - we're one great big family and you'll find loads of friends here. If I can help at all while you're finding your way around TCS just click on my username and send me a Personal Message - I'll do what I can to answer your questions

It's great that you've joined the site to find answers to your questions - the kitties are lucky to have found a person who will try so hard to understand them

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree! You will never want to live without a cat again! They are a great addition and they are so much fun to love and play with. I hope everything works out for you!

See you in the forums!