Tooth Extraction

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chynna has been very picky about her food and most often only licks up the gravy from the food. The vet pointed out that she has a bad tooth and is surprised that she was still able to eat.

In the last month she has lost 1/6th of a pound. I've been watching her closely and she seems to favour the left side of her mouth where the bad tooth is. The last couple days I've been having a hard time getting her to eat. It looks like she is having pain

I'm really thinking that she needs to have that tooth pulled. I still owe money to the vet which I'll be paying off at the end of the month. However, I don't want to call them and ask about the cost of pulling a tooth until I've paid off my bill.

Can someone give me an idea of what cost I would be looking at? She's already had blood tests and stuff done, so it should just be anesthesia and the tooth pulling.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it will vary from vet to vet and if you've been paying your vet off faithfully, I'd call them and at least get an idea. If Chynna is in pain it must be awful for her when she tries to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put a call into them. Someone is going to call me back with an estimate. If it's not too much, I'll talk to my brother and see if he will pay it and I'll just pay him monthly. If it's going to be too much I will have to consider other "options" because I can't stand seeing her in pain and wasting away. My heart has been breaking all day today because I can't get her to eat a full serving of anything. She tries and I know she's hungry because she runs to her dish when I get up. But she mostly just licks and spits out. I even bought some chicken breasts today and cooked one and liquified it up for her with some chicken broth and olive oil in the hopes that she would "drink" it, but she won't even do that. I guess she didn't like the texture. Because she drinks water ok.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, good luck at getting her an appointment quickly. Poor little girl. I'd really think the vet will work with you if you have been paying regularly.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd guesstimate around $100 here, but it'll cost more even to have 1 tooth pulled because of surgery time & anesthesia.

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
300-1,000 dollars depending upon the quality of practice and weather you live in a metroplitan area or not. I would expect a full dental cleaning to prevent future tooth infections and if one tooth is bad, I would expect multiple extractions, not just one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misskiwi67

300-1,000 dollars depending upon the quality of practice and weather you live in a metroplitan area or not. I would expect a full dental cleaning to prevent future tooth infections and if one tooth is bad, I would expect multiple extractions, not just one.
Thanks

I am not getting her teeth cleaned right now, I just need to get her bad tooth taken care of so she can eat. I'm hoping it's only one tooth. He looked in her mouth and saw only the 1 bad one. I'm not working right now and am on a very limited fixed income that is stretched to the very max. My brother offered to pay for the tooth extraction. Once I get back to work I'll worry about teeth cleaning, for both her and Abby.

So I'm hoping it's more like $300.