My loquat tree

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a beautiful loquat tree outside our bedroom window. The loquats are ripening now.

Here is the tree:

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/gmhyman/100_0365.jpg[/IMG]

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/gmhyman/loquat1.jpg[/IMG]

http://[IMG]http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc132/gmhyman/loquat2.jpg[/IMG]

I have been using loquats in some recipes this week. The outside birds and the squirrels have been having a good time eating them, too. Waiting for the next round to ripen.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no idea what a loquat is.
Apples, pears, and nut trees do ok in this area, but any type of citrus or related trees can't handle the winters.

It must be nice living there - here it's currently 50F and spring is just starting to show. What sort of recipes do you use them in?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I have no idea what a loquat is.
Apples, pears, and nut trees do ok in this area, but any type of citrus or related trees can't handle the winters.

It must be nice living there - here it's currently 50F and spring is just starting to show. What sort of recipes do you use them in?
I made a pork tenderloin with a strawberry loquat sauce and a salad of "cuties" (little tangerines), celery and loquats this week. Mostly you use them in jams, jellies and chutneys. I am making a chutney today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catloverin_ks

Very cool!!
But what is a loquat??
It is a little fruit that has a fuzzy skin like a peach. You can eat the skin but it is tasteless and you can easily peel it. Loquats are compared to apples because of things like sugar and acidic contents and because the seeds are toxic. I can't describe how they taste - not like an apple. Just pleasantly sweet.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was also going to add I have no idea what a loquat is!
Now that you explained it.....
they sound good!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe loquats came to this country from China. They remind me a little bit of an apricot, only smaller, with a lovely, unique flavor. Sometimes I see them in the specialty produce markets around here. I ate quite a few of them when I visited Israel.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is alot of fruit on that tree!! Are the flowers pretty when it blooms??

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love loquats! I think that they taste kind of between a peach and a cherry. Your tree is beautiful!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I love loquats! I think that they taste kind of between a peach and a cherry. Your tree is beautiful!
Yeah, and they have that kind of soft peachy/apricoty/cherry texture.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
-Great pic´s Ro!...

I began to ask to me what is a Loquat...

Originally Posted by butzie

It is a little fruit that has a fuzzy skin like a peach. You can eat the skin but it is tasteless and you can easily peel it. Loquats are compared to apples because of things like sugar and acidic contents and because the seeds are toxic. I can't describe how they taste - not like an apple. Just pleasantly sweet.
Great explanation!!!

Taste same as the Maracuya?....

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I grew up with a loquat tree in my yard... very good fruit... pick too early, and they make ya pucker... and turn mushy very quickly when left on the tree...

consistency is kind of like an overripe plum, but not as stringy, sort of... the taste, though... it's been years so it's hard to remember...

the tree was dying, so my dad cut it down... besides, since my mom stopped canning, the only ones eating the fruit were the deer...

A.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In high school, there were loquat trees outside the choir room, and we were told they only produced fruit every seven years... true? Not true? Anyway, they bore fruit one year when I was there, and all us choir kids went out and tried them. They were very tender and sweet!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CoolCat

-Great pic´s Ro!...

I began to ask to me what is a Loquat...

Great explanation!!!

Taste same as the Maracuya?....
Maracuya= passion fruit?

I don't think the taste is the same. I think of passionfruit as more citrusy- tasting. Hard to describe a loquat. Kind of like a really sweet apricot. and the size of an Italian purple plum.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wait a minute, apple seeds are toxic? I never new that. Maybe that's why once as a kid I got sick from an apple. Maybe I ate some seeds. OK, hijacking over.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

They sound goood!!! Thank you for explaining!!