Short-Term Memory Loss?

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats, Turtle, tends to get upset when she's in a room alone. Even if someone has just left the room, she'll start crying relentlessly until someone comes back in. She won't come to find us, though. It's not as if she's in the dark or in an unfamiliar place, but she just sits there and cries as if she doesn't know where she is or where we are. I've been wondering if she has some sort of problem with her memory, that maybe she actually forgets where we've gone?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't have an answer for you.
Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
Our Annabelle does the very same thing.
She'll be in one room by herself and then it seems like all of a sudden she realizes that she's alone and she screams at the top of her lungs...she's a Tortie and believe me she can scream loud

When she does it, if we call her name she comes running into the room where we are and she's fine.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sterling does something similar. When one of us (especially Dottie) goes out the door, pretty shortly he'll start crying like his heart is breaking. Even if I'm just in the next room!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are the cats? Sometimes that's supposed to be a sign of kitty alzheimer's (the part about acting as though they're not quite sure where they are, and yowling about it). Then again, my Dharma will sometimes decide to announce she's in the front room to the entire house, usually at 2:00 am, and she's not quite six. In her case, I think it's more a call for attention, as normally it does get Mommy up and running!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats are very quiet and generally good at getting anything they want themselves (including forcing me to pet them even if I'm not interested) but Artemis will sometimes make a very, very lonely meow when she's alone in the room. She'll usually come find me if I meow back, though.

Have you tried meowing (or calling) to her when she does this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abstract

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I really don't have an answer for you.
Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.
Our Annabelle does the very same thing.
She'll be in one room by herself and then it seems like all of a sudden she realizes that she's alone and she screams at the top of her lungs...she's a Tortie and believe me she can scream loud

When she does it, if we call her name she comes running into the room where we are and she's fine.
Ours is a Tortie too :p Maybe it's just their thing.