My cat is too thin???

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is 2 years old, and seems a bit thinner lately. I 've been keeping a close eye on her eating habits. Coa is fed dry, which is always available . Wet is given twice a day. She eats very small amounts at a time . She is a house cat and very athletic. But I feel she is too thin and one else have this problem??

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post a picture(s). She may be more of the oriental/siamese type of cat which would be a longer slender body build.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed her fancy feast, deli cat ,iams, wellness, home cooking , lots of choices.......How do I post a photo ??? I have many of her in my harddrive. Just not sure how to do it on this site. she is a house cat ,do i need to worm her??

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She weighs 7.5 lbs, I just put her on the scale. she is soooo easy. what a great skinny kitty. Her body type is long , if I hold her in the hang position she is very long. Stripes run down her back . sort of like a prison uniform,(she is a prisoner in her home) she is dark gray, dark brown with striking turquoise eyes, Egyptian looking. I am trying to post a photo.....??

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
rosiemac - thank you . I sent you a few photos. hope it works. marilyn

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's my little girl ! You can't see her concave belly in these shots, but it is there...

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does she go in a bit at the sides towards the back?, because my Rosies like that and it's normal. Sophies doesn't because she's a solid framed cat so she's round all over
But looking at your princess there she looks fine to me.

Do you take her for a yearly checkup at the vets?

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES! thats it . towards the back she goes in.. Her coat looks nice and shinny , her eyes are clear, she eats and drinks (small amounts) . and she's active, heat seeking but all cats love the heat. Right? My friend came by yesterday and lit a fire under me about her weight. I hate bringing my animals to the vet unless I need to. Having two cats and two dogs it can get $$$$. But you think she 's normal??

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cat! She looks healthy. Bugsy is just gaining weight from a skinny phase. He goes through a skinny phase once and awhile. I can tell with no doubt in my mind when he is too skinny, I can feel it. The most obvious are his shoulder bones, when he is too skinny and I pet him I can feel them almost as if I am touching them directly. Also if you look at his face in the below photo he looks odd, like his eyes are too big? I think anyway, im trying to figure out if he is a certain breed of cat that makes him look that way, but…thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s another thread!! Lol

My advice if you are worried is bring your cutie pie to the vet. If you have yet to deworm her do that. If your really that worried though bring her to the vet, even if its just for future reference about what weight would be normal for her. Its hard to really tell from the photo other then the fact that she is so cute!!

Keep us updated!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes she looks fine to me
I remember my next door neighbour asking a couple of years ago if Rosie had lost weight because of how she looked at the side, but my vet said she was fine, if anything Rosie needs to shift a couple of lb because she's nealy 11lb

I would still try and take them for a checkup though at least once a year, because they still need their shots

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Lola is a petite kitty. She weighs in at 7 to 7 1/2 pounds. Maggie looks heavier, because of her thick coat, but she's only 8 to 8 1/2 pounds. Cleo's my, ah, 'fluffy' cat. My vet told me that she needs to lose weight. Four months ago, she weighed 12.8 pounds. At her checkup last week, she weighed 12.4 pounds....so we're s-l-o-w-l-y getting there. Your little girl looks fine to me, but I seem to have petite kitties (well, with the exception of Cleo!)

Have you seen the weight/body chart for cats? Here's a good link that explains body condition, with pictures:
http://www.purina.com/cats/health/BodyCondition.aspx

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks fine to me. If you feel along her backbone, are her ribs prominent or just detectable, or what?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She looks beautiful to me as well. I agree with Roseimac though - she should have a vet visit at least yearly.

When you got her did you get her vaccines and have her dewormed and all that good stuff? I take our kitties for yearly check-ups and vaccine updates and providing they are normally healthy, it doesn't need to cost you a lot for vet bills. Like anything IMO, daily maintenance (in this case yearly visits) help keep things running smoothly and no surprises.

brupaint

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes , she had all her shots back when I got her. She is an indoor cat, so I felt that vaccines could be skipped now. I am not a big fan of vaccines, especially since she's a house cat. But I do think a visit to the vet on a yearly basics is a good idea. I just have to stand tall when i appose the vets attempt to vaccinate. She is a wonderful animal , a very good natured cat. Thanks for all your support, this is a great forum.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't skip them all together. My three are indoors as well, and the only shot i let them have is the flu/enteritis because that's a germ i can bring in with me that they can catch
Leukemia on the other hand i don't because of them being inside

She looks a little treasure, so if you need a hand in posting some more pics of her in fur pics let me know