Need some vibes.....BAD!

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can I get some vibes that all will go ok with the life insurance? I don't know what we will do if we can't to pay off bills. You know how insurance can be at times and you never know how they will respond.

I just don't want her death to be in vain and that it will go through ok and for full amount. This is really stressful and I'll probably worry until I find out.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The death wasn't suspicious, so there should be no reason they would decline the coverage if its a reputable company.

Try not to worry yourself silly hun

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

The death wasn't suspicious, so there should be no reason they would decline the coverage if its a reputable company.

Try not to worry yourself silly hun
i think you're just overstressed, what w/the taxes & the bank account...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i think you're just overstressed, what w/the taxes & the bank account...
Very true. I just want something to go right! BTW, another company came in to take over the other tax office so I don't have to worry about that at least.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Very true. I just want something to go right! BTW, another company came in to take over the other tax office so I don't have to worry about that at least.
there, see - & are working!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the death wasn't suspicious so there shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming these are actual life insurance policies? If you haven't already, contact someone at the company to see how it's going and to see if there is anything else they need. Even if you don't have a contact person, if you call the main number, they should be able to either transfer you or give you the number for death benefits processing.

Also, check with the bank she dealt with. Some banks also have life insurance based on her bank account balance (if she had any accounts in her name alone).

I'm guessing you are handing all this on your own. It is SO everwhelming. Were most things in both your parent's names or did they have things separate? If most things were in both your parent's names, then it should just be waiting for paperwork. You may want to ask your dad who he has listed for beneficiary on his accts. One thing mom didn't do when dad died was put me as bene so that caused problems after she passed. That doesn't have to be done right away, of course. Just something you may want to check into sometime in the future.

I actually just closed my mom's estate last month so I can understand how overwhelming it can be. Take deep breaths and try to relax.
We're here for you.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I agree, the death wasn't suspicious so there shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming these are actual life insurance policies? If you haven't already, contact someone at the company to see how it's going and to see if there is anything else they need. Even if you don't have a contact person, if you call the main number, they should be able to either transfer you or give you the number for death benefits processing.

Also, check with the bank she dealt with. Some banks also have life insurance based on her bank account balance (if she had any accounts in her name alone).

I'm guessing you are handing all this on your own. It is SO everwhelming. Were most things in both your parent's names or did they have things separate? If most things were in both your parent's names, then it should just be waiting for paperwork. You may want to ask your dad who he has listed for beneficiary on his accts. One thing mom didn't do when dad died was put me as bene so that caused problems after she passed. That doesn't have to be done right away, of course. Just something you may want to check into sometime in the future.

I actually just closed my mom's estate last month so I can understand how overwhelming it can be. Take deep breaths and try to relax.
We're here for you.
Everything is in both parent's name. My dad is going to take the certificate tomorrow to our financial advisor who we have life insurance with. Keep your fingers crossed.

My dad has already started making me the beneficiary in all the accounts and I get everything in the will.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

Everything is in both parent's name. My dad is going to take the certificate tomorrow to our financial advisor who we have life insurance with. Keep your fingers crossed.

My dad has already started making me the beneficiary in all the accounts and I get everything in the will.
You shouldn't have a problem with the life insurance. Even if it is in both your parent's names, it should be stated in the policy that payment is made if one passes and the other will still have his. That's the way our insurance is set up now.

And, it's good that your father is changing everything for you being beneficiary. I know it sounds cold hearted and mercenary to bring all that up now, but it is the practical thing to do. Just, don't get stressed about everything. Taxes are taken care of...life insurance will be taken care of tomorrow. Hopefully, you won't have to go through this again for a while. How is your dad holding up btw? And how are you...besides stressed?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe this is an okay time to ask... hon, you said that your mother's liver problems were caused by a drug she was prescribed, and that the doctor who prescribed it was supposed to monitor her liver function regularly to prevent exactly what happened to her. To me, this sounds like an absolutely clear case of malpractice. Do you think so, too? Are you planning to get an attorney?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck with it, I hope it all goes smoothly. When will you find out?

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of vibes!

I agree with Carol - it might be worth talking to an attorney.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Nat's right. Just explain the situation to your creditors and they'll understand you need a bit more time.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Maybe this is an okay time to ask... hon, you said that your mother's liver problems were caused by a drug she was prescribed, and that the doctor who prescribed it was supposed to monitor her liver function regularly to prevent exactly what happened to her. To me, this sounds like an absolutely clear case of malpractice. Do you think so, too? Are you planning to get an attorney?
I would like to, but I know my dad won't. I am not sure how to go about even trying to figure this out.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well... in the town where you are (which is where I went to high school, at KHS), I believe an old classmate of mine is practicing law, but I don't know what type of law. I'll PM you his name... in high school, at least, he was an honorable guy, and a smart one, too.

But you can also just look for a reputable firm and ask if there's someone you can talk to about a wrongful death/malpractice case. It sounds so clear-cut to me, I would think they'd be happy to take it on contingency, which means you don't pay anything upfront -- they just take a big percentage of whatever you win.

I know it may seem ghoulish, as if you're trying to "profit" from your mother's death -- but a monetary award isn't really your primary purpose in suing. You want to prosecute this because doing so may keep it from happening to someone else.

And I wouldn't worry about being involved in a long, exhausting trial... if this is as flagrant a case of malpractice as it sounds, they will probably be eager to settle out of court. And even an out-of-court settlement can serve as a cautionary tale about the critical importance of monitoring patients properly.

And I think you'd feel really good if you were able to do that good deed in your mom's name, y'know?

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Well... in the town where you are (which is where I went to high school, at KHS), I believe an old classmate of mine is practicing law, but I don't know what type of law. I'll PM you his name... in high school, at least, he was an honorable guy, and a smart one, too.

But you can also just look for a reputable firm and ask if there's someone you can talk to about a wrongful death/malpractice case. It sounds so clear-cut to me, I would think they'd be happy to take it on contingency, which means you don't pay anything upfront -- they just take a big percentage of whatever you win.

I know it may seem ghoulish, as if you're trying to "profit" from your mother's death -- but a monetary award isn't really your primary purpose in suing. You want to prosecute this because doing so may keep it from happening to someone else.

And I wouldn't worry about being involved in a long, exhausting trial... if this is as flagrant a case of malpractice as it sounds, they will probably be eager to settle out of court. And even an out-of-court settlement can serve as a cautionary tale about the critical importance of monitoring patients properly.

And I think you'd feel really good if you were able to do that good deed in your mom's name, y'know?
Wow....this really is a small world. Yes, I still live where you went to high school and I went to EHS.
The OTHER school. There are now 4 high schools in this area.

I talked to the secretary of the doctor and she suggested Patient Relations. I need to start within the hospital first because it is a problem they need to be aware of, not only that, there were others while my mother was in the hospital. Also, if I don't start there, they may claim that they weren't given a chance, etc, etc, etc.

I will keep the name handy. I don't care for the money. I just want to gain the respect and dignity she should have been given by the doctor. I also want him to learn the fact that just because he has never seen it in all his years, it can't happen. Arrogance breeds ignorance and stupidity. I will have to see what happens.