Cat Tree

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After a year, I've finally got some photos of the cat tree John made the fur babies last year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And one of the other "house". I put upholstery material on the interior walls to make it look like wallpaper.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! You have a very talented husband! And I love the color combination.

I've been wanting to try building something myself, but I can't afford to buy the materials and then fail, y'know? Do you suppose John would share some tips? Especially about attaching the carpet?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitties do love it. We chose colours to match the walls and fireplace so it would "blend" in. John just looked around different sites for awhile to get an idea of what cat trees looked like, made his own mental plan and went for it. It is very stable and he custom built the base so that it would fit around the hot air vent. The kitties will sit on the lower areas when the furnace is running to get all toasty warm.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Wow! You have a very talented husband! And I love the color combination.

I've been wanting to try building something myself, but I can't afford to buy the materials and then fail, y'know? Do you suppose John would share some tips? Especially about attaching the carpet?
He used a wood glue for the carpeting and clamped it on until it dried. The interior "wallpaper" is stapled on. He also glued the sisal rope. He put the carpenter glue on the posts, wrapped the rope and also clamped that. On each of the posts he put a 1 inch square of wood on the bottom of each that fits snugly into cut-out areas on the platform so that the posts fit into them. When he was satisfied with everything, he then screwed all the posts in place.

Each house has 2 entrances so the kitties can chase each other through them.

Carol, we added up our cost for materials and it was over $300 but it is sooooo much sturdier and better made than anything we could have bought for $100 - $200 or more.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, that is amazing!!! That is a fun and solid looking cat tree. I don't suppose he wants to build another one?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Wow, that is amazing!!! That is a fun and solid looking cat tree. I don't suppose he wants to build another one?
It's so dang heavy that it would cost a small fortune to ship it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I erred. Hubby said he used Contact cement. He said he put it on for half an hour to let it set up and get tacky, then placed the carpeting on the glue. He said you have to get it on right the first time because you can't move it after you put the carpeting on the glue.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's a nice tree!

I wish I had something as nice for Nova!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Holy Moley! That's amazing!
It's absolutely perfect!

Sabina requests hers in a beige-y shade to match her fur please!