Old Age! Who Cares?

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with ageing.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep untilnoon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things!

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer the question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day.(If I feel like it)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm 55, soon to be 56. I like to think of myself as "middle-aged."

However, since I don't know anyone who's 112 years old, I suspect I may be on the downhill side of the mountain. I just hope it's a fun ride down!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen that before. I got it in an e-mail from a friend. It is so true - at least for me.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought this was a great post until I went to check your birthdate and see that you are 3 years younger than me!!

No, I don't feel old...but yes, I still think it's a great post

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by u8myufo

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old. I was taken aback, for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it, and let her know.

Old Age, I decided, is a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time in my life, the person I have always wanted to be. Oh, not my body! I sometime despair over my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother!), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less gray hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio. I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.
I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with ageing.

Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on the computer until 4 AM and sleep untilnoon?

I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 60&70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love ... I will.

I will walk the beach in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandon if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.

They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things!

Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But broken hearts are what give us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer the question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day.(If I feel like it)
Wait just a darn minute here, I don't remember you fessing up to how old you are. I had mine on my profile but just changed it for a KatKwiz question. I need to remember to go change it back - to 67! Yes, I put it right out there in the open for all to see. AND I am male. I am definately in the 1% category here on The Cat Site and I am enjoying every minute of it!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not old yet but after reading that I will no longer fear aging. Hear Hear to old age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

u8myufo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey guys dont have a go at me
The wife sent it to me and I just passed it on

Your right I am not that old. But try telling that to the bones

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It is only now that I am in my 60s and retired, so that I don't have to answer to anyone, that I have found myself as I really want to be. I no longer am 'what I do' but 'who I am' and it is such a relief!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can really relate to your post too! Just the other day I was putting on some hand lotion before bed and was astounded.....when did I get 'old lady' hands??? The face that looks back at me in the mirror is starting to show it's age too. Turning 30 was really difficult for me. I was thinking that 50 wouldn't be that bad, but I'm starting to think that it may actually be. Oh well...it beats the alternative!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Age is just a number - and you're only as old as you feel inside.
I'm already going grey (I have been since 17 and I dye over it simply through vanity). I have a saggy butt and a good round belly. I have bags under my eyes and worry lines like nobody's business.... and I'm only 25. God alone knows, sometimes I feel about 80! BUT.... I don't want to end this life in a perfect shell. How can I put it.......

Getting old is like candy. Let's face it - a clean crisp cold bar of chocolate that's been in the fridge for too long is just cold and hard. I'd rather have the sticky, week-old toffee that's been in a pocket for the same length of time. (Why is it that fluff makes them taste better?) I'd rather end up like that toffee... sweet, soft and runny round the edges, but warm and sweet and homely!

And why should we grow old gracefully?! We spend our whole lives going through the mill of propriety, morality, yadda yadda yadda.... I'm going to be a disgusting old baggage like my grandmother, with a wickedly dirty sense of humour, bad language and a passion for all things tasty and horribly calorific!!
And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree too. It's good to have lived some history, to feel like I have a first-hand grasp of the world that no amount of education could fully impart. And it's nice to feel that something of my personal substance shows in my face -- although this is quite enough, thank you, no further signs of ageing are necessary!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I definitely feel wiser than I did 20 years ago! And I dont consider myself old... but my daughter teases me about my "old age cream" every morning when I put it on...

But then again... I can drive after midnight and buy a case of beer!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'm 55, soon to be 56. I like to think of myself as "middle-aged."

However, since I don't know anyone who's 112 years old, I suspect I may be on the downhill side of the mountain. I just hope it's a fun ride down!
I just turned 48 and I too don't many people who have reached their late 90's
either so guess I am heading down the mountain as well..

I don't mind getting older I just wished my knees agreed with me

What's that line from the Always Wear Sunscreen Song

"Be Kind to your knee's because you'll miss them when they go"

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It used to really bother me to tell people I was my real age, but just the other day I proudly told someone I was 49. It may be a little vanity showing, she was a good bit younger and looked like she had been rode hard and put up wet, but it made me feel good anyway. I an considering not dying my hair any more, I just use a color that is temporary. My daughter hates it when I do that, so maybe just for her, I will continue for another year. I said I would stop at 50. More and more I am feeling like I earned those gray hairs.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tierre0

"Be Kind to your knee's because you'll miss them when they go"
Yeah, I'm already at that point! I have to take the elevator instead of going up the stairs...my knees just don't like it anymore. I will still take the stairs going down. That doesn't hurt yet!