I'm moving!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not til september 1st, but I'm moving to Philadelphia! Zissou is very excited! Our new place probably has room for her to have a buddy, and in looking out there it is not even a little hard to find places that couldn't care less if you have a cat. They don't even charge you extra (though the rent is pretty insane by columbus standards!) So hopefully I'll be adding to the family soon.

I'm so excited! We are moving to the middle of University City, my bf got into a great PhD program (which is why we're moving
)

I've moved before, several times, but just bouncing around Ohio. Never 8 hours away. Any advice? Any advice on how to make my mom calm down a little? How to get rid of a lot of my stuff so I can fit into a moving van?

I'm so excited!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats!

As for getting rid of some of your stuff, 2 words:
MOVING SALE.

You can get rid of useless stuff and get a little extra money! Also goodwill is always an option!

As for your mom... no clues on that one!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You're moving to my old hometown! You'll love Philly - there's lots to see and do, and the Jersey shore is close, which is a big plus. I'm really curious about how much University City has changed since the early 80s. That neighborhood was constantly in flux. Parking is still probably horrible, and people about 24/7. I wonder if everybody still sits out on their "stoop" till all hours?

As far as moving - get rid of anything you haven't used/worn in the last 6 months, unless it has tremendous sentimental value. Take your "favorite" things, and dump as much of the rest as you can, via a garage sale, ebay, or Goodwill, as somebody suggested. I've moved to another continent three times, and just find there are some things I can't do without, like my favorite paring knife, and others I wish I'd dumped, like a cut glass serving dish that I've probably used three or four times in the past three decades.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

You're moving to my old hometown! You'll love Philly - there's lots to see and do, and the Jersey shore is close, which is a big plus. I'm really curious about how much University City has changed since the early 80s. That neighborhood was constantly in flux. Parking is still probably horrible, and people about 24/7. I wonder if everybody still sits out on their "stoop" till all hours?
I'm not going to have a car- I figured that would be the case, and with a subway, trolleys, and buses... who needs one! I haven't actually been there (he has) but we have a patio and I sure intend to sit on it all night!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I'm not going to have a car- I figured that would be the case, and with a subway, trolleys, and buses... who needs one! I haven't actually been there (he has) but we have a patio and I sure intend to sit on it all night!
I just hope SEPTA (the transit authority) is better than it used to be. Back when I was commuting to college, it was on strike most of the time, and I ended up renting a parking space. My best friend tells me it's much better than it used to be, but she now lives and works in the suburbs, and her husband is a SEPTA manager.

You just have to go to the shore, though. Not necessarily Atlantic City or Wildwood, which are way too commercial, but places like Cape May or Ocean City. And definitely take advantage of the proximity to NYC, Baltimore (Inner Harbor) and D.C.. Be sure to check out Lancaster County, too (Amish country, and factory outlet heaven). You've got to try Scrapple, too, if you've never had it. Not to mention Italian hoagies. BTW, water is pronounced "wooder" - the sure tip-off that somebody is a Philadelphia native.

North Philadelphia, e.g., Kensington, has always been an "iffy" area, as is Camden, N.J.. Be extremely careful if you decide to visit the latter, and don't go alone!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congrats!

Warning: it's definitely more expensive on this side of the states then the mid west.

Hold a moving sale to help raise extra $$$ for your move...what doesn't sell, try selling on craigslist. What doesn't sell donate.

Tricia's right though, you'll be about 1-2 hours away from the Jersey shore (2 hours from where I live), about 3-4 hours from NYC, about 2.5 hours to DC...the possibilities are endless.

Oh and DEFINITELY bring a lot of CDs for the car ride. We took the Pennsylvania turnpike (I-76) on the ride home from Michigan and the radio stations were terrible due to the mountains. Pennsylvania is a LOOOOOOOONNNG State.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I just hope SEPTA (the transit authority) is better than it used to be. Back when I was commuting to college, it was on strike most of the time, and I ended up renting a parking space. My best friend tells me it's much better than it used to be, but she now lives and works in the suburbs, and her husband is a SEPTA manager.

You just have to go to the shore, though. Not necessarily Atlantic City or Wildwood, which are way too commercial, but places like Cape May or Ocean City. And definitely take advantage of the proximity to NYC, Baltimore (Inner Harbor) and D.C.. Be sure to check out Lancaster County, too (Amish country, and factory outlet heaven). You've got to try Scrapple, too, if you've never had it. Not to mention Italian hoagies. BTW, water is pronounced "wooder" - the sure tip-off that somebody is a Philadelphia native.

North Philadelphia, e.g., Kensington, has always been an "iffy" area, as is Camden, N.J.. Be extremely careful if you decide to visit the latter, and don't go alone!
Oh, well, I sure hope there's no strikes-- I don't own a car, his is probably gonna give out sometime this year. We will live right by the subway and the bus routes, and the trolleys. There's a train goes to Atlantic City for 8$, though you're right, I'd definitely love to go to the other places more.

Don't worry, I live in the ghetto now, so it won't be like I'm fresh off the turnip truck. I know it's a much bigger and badder city, but I'll at least know what to avoid. And I won't be living by myself!

Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Yay!!! After you get settled in we need to have another Philly area meet up!
Heck yes! I've never been able to make it to the other ones.

Originally Posted by lunasmom

congrats!

Warning: it's definitely more expensive on this side of the states then the mid west.

Hold a moving sale to help raise extra $$$ for your move...what doesn't sell, try selling on craigslist. What doesn't sell donate.

Tricia's right though, you'll be about 1-2 hours away from the Jersey shore (2 hours from where I live), about 3-4 hours from NYC, about 2.5 hours to DC...the possibilities are endless.

Oh and DEFINITELY bring a lot of CDs for the car ride. We took the Pennsylvania turnpike (I-76) on the ride home from Michigan and the radio stations were terrible due to the mountains. Pennsylvania is a LOOOOOOOONNNG State.
Yea, I've noticed that it's expensive. Hopefully we'll do okay- I've only got a year of school or so left, he's getting paid to go to school. I'm excited about all the stuff I'll be close to. Not so excited about all the stuff I'll be far away from

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ooo, I will be moving to Australia this September the 23rd, four boxes have been shipped out. Its been pretty hard parting with some stuff, it will be harder as time gets closer and i will get rid of all of my furniture.

My parents have been here for a week, and they have so much stuff to take with them back to Rome. I am selling most of my books, Cds, tv, tv set, scanner, printer, fax machine, computer desk, book shelves, the whole kitchen including dryer and washing machine, and my mega huge waldrobe made in italy worth 5,000 but after so many moves its just down to what ever i can get out of it. I am giving away my couch, and my side board, along with my cupboards in the kitchen as they arent really valuable.

It really breaks my heart parting with all of my things and achievements as a single individual, but i look on the bright side, we will be buying a house in about a year, with complete new furniture thanks to my parents.

My apartment looks so empty already, but there for i just rewarded my self with a holiday for 4 days of sun and a swimming pool!

Enjoy packing and i would start now... I started in January and I am no where near finished

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Enjoy packing and i would start now... I started in January and I am no where near finished
Oh goodness! I don't think I have very much stuff, two rooms and I just moved a year and a half ago before now.

I do need to get rid of some stuff though. I fit into one of those big vans last time, but we both have to fit into something that size this time.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Oh goodness! I don't think I have very much stuff, two rooms and I just moved a year and a half ago before now.

I do need to get rid of some stuff though. I fit into one of those big vans last time, but we both have to fit into something that size this time.
So do i, i live in a 40sq apartment, its tiny, but the amount of paper i have to go through, and amount of clutter its immaginable. I just finished packing all of my ornaments ect.

But I have also been working 14 - 16 hour days to catch up with the debts and paying off all medical bills for the cats transportation.