Limit on Adult Cats?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you limit the number of adult cats you have (whether breeding or not)? If so, what is your limit.

With me when I was breeding, I limited it to 6 adult cats as with rexes they demand a lot of individual attention.

Even now I still would stick to the 6 adult limit

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a limit of 6 cats set by my husband or I would have a couple more.

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My limit is 5 adults, my hubbies limit is 3.
It's not just about money, room and time. It's about the stress level too. Larger groups of cats-> higher stress level -> bigger risk for disease outbreaks in the cattery. Of course 20 cats can be divided into 4 groups of 5, but I don't wanna separate my home that way. I want everyone to be able to walk around freely, cats and people.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the room for about 8 but I think 4 will likely be my limit ... most at one time 3 so far ... Now I have a large dog and a small dog with issues so 4 for now is it...

shambles

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think my ideal limit is three. Both of my breeds (Siamese and Persian) are very demanding so I can't see my being able to give more than that adequate individual attention. I *do* have other pets though, if I was going to have an entirely feline household I think my limit would be at 5 or 6.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think it is smart to recognize that both a time commitment and finances are a part of caring for pets so for me, 5 is my limit and I currently have 4.

At the moment, I am housing a pregnant queen from another cattery who will serve her pregnancy and deliver her kittens here with me. I will be raising the litter and then once the kittens are old enough, they will be going back to their own breeder. And I might have to think about acquiring a new breeding girl ... since I am one shy of my limit and all that. *wink*

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For adult cats
My limit, 1
My husband's limit, 0.
I guess you could say we compromised

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a breeder but....right now our limit is 2. That's honestly all we have room for, with the way we feed them and room for litter boxes and such. Plus we are in an apartment, and are moving soon...to another apartment for at least 6 months (most of which have a 2 pet limit). Not to mention $ for vet bills.

I don't know about the future but I think my limit is 3 cats (including any future foster kitties). We are buying a hunting dog from a German Shorthair breeder in the next year and paying for the hunting training (very expensive), plus normal pet expenses. Plus I want to adopt a Shih Tzu from a Shih Tzu rescue group where we are moving. My SO wants a 2nd hunting dog too but not for a long time....so that would put us at 3 dogs. Oh boy...

Not gonna have any room for human kids

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

For adult cats
My limit, 1
My husband's limit, 0.
I guess you could say we compromised
Does this mean you own a 1/2 cat????
The front half or the back half?

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Does this mean you own a 1/2 cat????
The front half or the back half?
I want the front half!!!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I don't know about the future but I think my limit is 3 cats (including any future foster kitties). We are buying a hunting dog from a German Shorthair breeder in the next year and paying for the hunting training (very expensive), plus normal pet expenses. Plus I want to adopt a Shih Tzu from a Shih Tzu rescue group where we are moving. My SO wants a 2nd hunting dog too but not for a long time....so that would put us at 3 dogs. Oh boy...

Not gonna have any room for human kids
That is how we feel too!
We have 3 dogs, our personal dog limit is 4. We are active with them in dog sports as well and have a massive yard for them to run in, although they are inside dogs. Ours are not a hunting breed, but they sometimes act like it!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again, not a breeder, but thought I'd put in my 2 cents

I think my limit would be 3-4 cats at a time. At present, I have 3 and just dealing with their various medical expenses has swamped me at present (kitten eye/ear issues and my adult, toby, has seizure, weight, allergy, and heart issues). So, at present, 3 is a good number for me. I think I could go 4 if I didn't have a dog... But, I'm hoping to buy a house within the next 2-3 years and get a large dog, so 3 will probably be it.

Art

lucyfur007

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our limit is 2 cats we only have Mika now but in the future we might get another. We also have 2 staffies and they require a lot of attention to keep them happy specially when Bonnie is on heat she gets very sooky!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont breed, but I do foster. My overall limit is 5 comfortably, 6 in a push - I end up with 6 more than I Would like though!! I only actually own 1 cat, and my limit on my own cats is 2 as I only adopt oldies, and have a knack of adopting a seemingly healthy cat that turns out to have some weird underlying thing that puzzles my vet and costs a fortune in the process!!
Lucyfur - why isn't your Staffy spayed?

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most I have had was 6. I only have 4 now but do plan on getting another Somali. I would for sure be able to give 7 a try but I don't think I will run into that high of number any time soon. It could be quite some time to get the Somali I am looking for. One of my cats turns 14 this year. I know anytime something could creep up or she could hang in there for a few more years. But even then I still doubt I will have hit 7 by then.

fuzzmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My limit is 4 animals total (not including foster cats). I have 2 cats and 2 dogs. Even if I only had one species I would never go over 2 dogs as one can be a real butthead.
I also wouldn't go over 2 cats...unless I absolutely had to.
I can take 2 fosters but only if one can be integrated with my own animals as all fosters require a 2 week isolation period. I'm limited due to finances and space.

lindsey88

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My limit on cats is 3. I currently have 2. I do however live with my parents and their limit on cats is 1. lol

My limit on dogs is 4. I have 3 right now but my 4th dog lives with my grandmother and he will come with me when I get my own place.