Crafty people...earring kits

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awhile back (at least a year ago) someone made me a set of homemade earrings. And I was wondering if anyone knows of any kits I can buy to make my own. And if so where can I buy these kits. If not what elements do I need to make my own.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can usually find jewelry kits at hobby/craft stores. To make them yourself you'd need wire, earing posts or hooks and what ever beads or embelishments you'd want on them. Tool wise you qould really only need some needle nose pliers. Do you have a particular type of earing in mind? I could probably do a tutorial if I knew what you wanted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What type I am thinking either/or hook type backs or this type I have now which are hard to describe. They are dangle type earring the post is oval in shape and slides into the like a hook type and snaps closed. Its hard to describe. As far as embellishments small metal charms, like the small glass rock bead things etc. Do you think walmart sales the elements to make earrings?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just called WallyWorld...she said they sale the wires, charms/beads and what not to make earrings but she was unsure about the posts. I would think I can get those in the jewelry dept.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet that Wal-mart has most, if not all, of what you would need. I like to go look around. I usually find some good ideas just brousing.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
question if this makes sense how do you attach the headpin(wire) to the post?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your using post earrings the one's you do yourself will usually have a small loop at the bottom of the post bead if that makes sense. Kind of like this or this. The second one shows how the wire is attached too.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Hobby Lobby nearby, I would go there. Not only do they have huge selections of jewelry making supplies, but the stones as well. I worked at one, and it was amazing the amount of stuff they have. They also have a great website, hobbylobby.com.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I wish we had a hobby lobby, michaels or joann's around here. All we have is Walmart. Here is what I got:

2 kinds of beads
headpin
hook posts
I already had needle nose pliers and wire cutters

Thats all I need to get started right?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately go to Hobby Lobby if you have one near by, they're having a 50% off special on their jewelry making supplies till April 5th.
Walmart will have a few supplies but you'll find more at a craft store, higher quality supplies and some do sell nickel free hooks and wires. You can also get a pair of small needle nose pliers there and books how to make some jewelry.

Edit, your post wasn't up when I clicked reply - It depends on what you want to make. One suggestion is to just look up pictures of bead earrings you like and just copy what you see.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only part that's the least bit tricky is making the loop at the top of the headpin to attach it to the earring finding (the post or kidney wire or french wire, or whatever you use). Needlenose pliers will make it very difficult to get a loop small enough and rounded -- you really ought to get roundnose jewelry pliers with tips that are tiny and conical in shape, like these on the Fire Mountain Gems site:

http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H201605TL

One caution: please don't get your pliers at Wal-Mart. My first pliers were the kind Wal-Mart carries, and they were so bad that they made me think I was a clumsy ox! It was amazing how much more talented I became when I got hold of some good ones!

Your roundnose pliers are your right hand, especially in making earrings, and reasonably good ones can be had at any craft store for not more than $12. (Eventually, you'll want a good flush-cutter, too, but for now, you can get by with the hardware-type wirecutter you probably already have.)

Nice to have another beader aboard!

EDIT: Oh heck drat, I see you have nothing but Wal-Mart. Maybe you can order some online...?

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I just made my first pair. Was a bit easier than I thought. I do need to work on my loops tho. Next time I am in town I will get some round nose pliers. They had a set in the jewelry dept. it was a kit type deal for like 6 or so dollars.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, making nice looking loops requires lots of practice!

This is a bracelet I made last year. Lots of head pins and loops!

If you plan to do a lot oif jewelry projects, you will need to get good pliers. But for the occasional project, get the best you can.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jan, that is remarkable! Hematite, right? That mucst have taken ages.

Ping, I'd love to see pictures. I used to make lots of different jewelry but nothing terribly intricate.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father is a GIA (Gemological Institute of America) registered colored gemstone gemologist. He also mines and facets colored gemstones (I think I bored Jan with this info last year, hee hee!) He likes to use TRIPPS for his jewelry findings. They carry most of their findings in 14kt yellow and 14kt white gold, as well as sterling silver. They also have great wholesale prices on necklace chains, faceted and cabochon precious and semi-precious stones, tools and display packaging, as well as the findings. Their "Easy Mount" findings are a breeze to use...even I can do it!